Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Concorde and Sonic Booms

Search this Thread

Old Jun 4, 2003, 1:19 pm
Original Poster

Concorde and Sonic Booms

Do you hear or feel the sonic boom when you are on the concorde ?--what about people in NY and the UK, do they hear it when it approaches ?--Is this problematic to people who have heart conditions ?
Old Jun 4, 2003, 1:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by crazy canuck:
Do you hear or feel the sonic boom when you are on the concorde ?</font>
No. You can only tell it has happened when watching the machmeter. The Concorde only exceeds Mach 1 when over the water so land dwellers only have to put up with basic engine roar
Old Jun 4, 2003, 1:49 pm

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by crazy canuck:
Do you hear or feel the sonic boom when you are on the concorde ?</font>
You certainly do not hear the sonic boom, and the only reason I was aware of it was because I was tracking the meter, and the captain indicated that we would feel a very subtle nudge when we reached that speed. It was very subtle, and I never would have noticed it without the advance notice.

For whatever reason, except for the take-off taxi, I never had a terrific grasp for the actual speed because when you really achieve the higher speeds, you don't really have landmarks or objects to use a reference for gauging your speed (well, except for the clouds). Passing things during the initial taxi and rotation was crazy-fast for me, a sensation that I certainly have never felt on a subsonic aircraft.

I would be interested in other people's feelings as well.

[This message has been edited by dsimon (edited 06-04-2003).]
Old Jun 4, 2003, 3:19 pm

Crazy Canuck, you mind find this link about sonic booms and the Doppler effect useful:

http://www.gmi.edu/~drussell/Demos/doppler/doppler.html
Old Jun 4, 2003, 3:40 pm

Programs: Still a lowly Blue with BA but inching towards Bronze. Managed to get to KLM Silver!
Do you hear or feel the sonic boom when you are on the concorde ?--what about people in NY and the UK, do they hear it when it approaches ?--Is this problematic to people who have heart conditions ?</font>
Your handle is very appropriate.

Are you trying for a record - The most questions asked about a Concorde flight by one person? I'm beginning to think you are a Troll.

Concorde does not exceed Mach 1 until over the Atlantic ex-JFK and the Bristol Channel ex-LHR, therefore the sonic boom doesn't affect anyone. The simple explanation for why you cannot hear it is very simple - you are travelling faster than sound so you leave it behind you.

As for people with heart conditions, BA advise that they should not fly Concorde. The excitement will probably kill them.
joejet likes this.
Old Jun 4, 2003, 4:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB Silver going for Gold
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by Gaza:
Concorde does not exceed Mach 1 until over the Atlantic ex-JFK and the Bristol Channel ex-LHR, therefore the sonic boom doesn't affect anyone. The simple explanation for why you cannot hear it is very simple - you are travelling faster than sound so you leave it behind you.</font>
I've heard reports about complaints of sonic booms early in Concorde's service, primarily by those living in Cornwall and souhern Ireland. Very possible since noise does travel.
Old Jun 4, 2003, 4:37 pm

Programs: BA Exec Club - Lowly Blue
dsimon

As you say, unless you are watching the Marilake displays in each cabin, it is very likely that you will be unaware that the aircraft has become supersonic.

The only other clue is that a number of camera flash-guns will start going off as the photography starts!

If I may just mention one point, I would suggest that the nudges you felt were in fact when the re-heats were selected back on at the start of the acceleration to supersonic flight, rather than at the moment the aircraft actually passed through the sound barrier.

The re-heats are selected back on, in pairs, at Mach 0.95, to provide additional thrust to help Concorde accelerate through the high drag transonic region as quickly as possible.

There is no way to accelerate the re-heats gently up to full power, they are either ON or OFF, and because of this they do tend to cause a slight "nudge" (in the back of your seat) as they light up.

They are selected on in pairs, rather than all four together, to reduce one larger nudge to two smaller ones.

Lest any nervous flyers be disconcerted by this, it is normal practice for the Captain to make a brief PA, just prior to selecting re-heats, to explain what is about to happen.

The take-off is rather special isn't it!

Best Regards

Bellerophon
Old Jun 4, 2003, 5:22 pm

Bellerophon, thanks very much for all of that technical information - I appreciate it.
Old Jun 4, 2003, 11:35 pm
Original Poster

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by Bellerophon:
dsimon

As you say, unless you are watching the Marilake displays in each cabin, it is very likely that you will be unaware that the aircraft has become supersonic.

The only other clue is that a number of camera flash-guns will start going off as the photography starts!

If I may just mention one point, I would suggest that the nudges you felt were in fact when the re-heats were selected back on at the start of the acceleration to supersonic flight, rather than at the moment the aircraft actually passed through the sound barrier.

The re-heats are selected back on, in pairs, at Mach 0.95, to provide additional thrust to help Concorde accelerate through the high drag transonic region as quickly as possible.

There is no way to accelerate the re-heats gently up to full power, they are either ON or OFF, and because of this they do tend to cause a slight "nudge" (in the back of your seat) as they light up.

They are selected on in pairs, rather than all four together, to reduce one larger nudge to two smaller ones.

Lest any nervous flyers be disconcerted by this, it is normal practice for the Captain to make a brief PA, just prior to selecting re-heats, to explain what is about to happen.

The take-off is rather special isn't it!

Best Regards

Bellerophon
</font>
Thanks Bellerophon--That's excellent info, as it is very interesting to hear the technical side of what actually happens during the period surrounding the "sonic boom"
Old Jun 4, 2003, 11:36 pm
Original Poster

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by Dave_C:
Crazy Canuck, you mind find this link about sonic booms and the Doppler effect useful:

http://www.gmi.edu/~drussell/Demos/doppler/doppler.html
</font>
Thanks Dave_C--I'm fascinated by this stuff..and knowing what actually happens will make this trip that much more enjoyable.
Old Jun 4, 2003, 11:43 pm
Original Poster

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by Gaza:
Your handle is very appropriate.

Are you trying for a record - The most questions asked about a Concorde flight by one person? I'm beginning to think you are a Troll.

Concorde does not exceed Mach 1 until over the Atlantic ex-JFK and the Bristol Channel ex-LHR, therefore the sonic boom doesn't affect anyone. The simple explanation for why you cannot hear it is very simple - you are travelling faster than sound so you leave it behind you.

As for people with heart conditions, BA advise that they should not fly Concorde. The excitement will probably kill them.
</font>
If asking BA related concorde questions on the BA board is the definition of a troll, then I guess we have a more than a few of them here (including you). Judging by the number of posts listed beside your name, what are you trying to set a record for ?

I'm guessing your comment was tongue in cheek...as was mine
Old Jun 5, 2003, 1:56 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
Do you hear or feel the sonic boom when you are on the concorde?</font>
You certainly do. I thought I had gone deaf wwhen we went though the sound barrier, but it turned out that, because we were going faster than the speed of sound, my words were already behind me when they came out of my mouth. Only the people 15 rows behind me could hear what I was saying. (Of course I could here the conversation between the pilot and the flight engineer!)
joejet likes this.
Old Jun 5, 2003, 2:31 am

Programs: Sir CT-UK - Streaker pour les autres.
Crazy Canuk

I am with Gaza on this one. Try keeping sll your questions on one thread so we don't have a whole page of seperate questions from you when we jump into the forum. Also this will help others when they have a question regarding Concorde. When they use the search feature they will be able to find all the answers in one place
Old Jun 5, 2003, 3:28 am

Programs: Still a lowly Blue with BA but inching towards Bronze. Managed to get to KLM Silver!
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by LondonElite:
You certainly do. I thought I had gone deaf wwhen we went though the sound barrier, but it turned out that, because we were going faster than the speed of sound, my words were already behind me when they came out of my mouth. Only the people 15 rows behind me could hear what I was saying. (Of course I could here the conversation between the pilot and the flight engineer!)</font>

Old Jun 5, 2003, 7:19 am

Programs: BA/BD Gold/IC A/*Wood Gold - Certified BodyCombat and BodyPump Instructor
Well when I'm at the cottage in Cornwall (Sennan Cove) I've heard the boom sometimes.

Guess this is the last summer that will happen

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.