Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Magnum Opus: Most Incredible Concorde Video Ever!

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Magnum Opus: Most Incredible Concorde Video Ever!

Search this Thread

Old May 20, 2004, 1:02 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by GoldCircle
^ ^ ^

Time well spent...

Long time no see, eh Goldie-pup?

Dare ya to show your face around Airwise.... despite having a doppelganger, it'd be interesting to see the reception you got
Old May 20, 2004, 5:40 pm

Programs: BA Silver / Bonyoy Platinum
I get a Tripod error message even when copy/pasting the link?

Can someone else check it is still working!
----------
Edited to add: Cancel that. Copied the link in to Opera and it wouldn't work. Thankfully that wondeful Explorer program has got it working!
Old May 21, 2004, 2:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
Originally Posted by philco
PS anybody happen recognise the classical soundtrack - so familiar but...
The start of it sounds to me like it's a pastiche of Barber's Adagio for Strings.
Old May 21, 2004, 3:35 am

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by Globaliser
The start of it sounds to me like it's a pastiche of Barber's Adagio for Strings.
I think you have it - many thanks!
Old May 22, 2004, 4:14 am

Programs: Concorde Mach 2 -UAMM- First to Fly A380/B787/B747-8i/FlyingHonu
Concordeboy, I sent you a PM.
Old May 22, 2004, 6:16 am

Wow!

:-: :-: :-: :-: :-:

Thanks ConcordeBoy - that's one great video. You can see why BA were adamant that Branson shouldn't get his hands on any of the Concorde fleet - they can live pretty happily off of the legacy (and rightly so ^ ).
Old May 22, 2004, 10:54 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by CDG1
Concordeboy, I sent you a PM.
duly responded

Originally Posted by Shuttle-Bored
You can see why BA were adamant that Branson shouldn't get his hands on any of the Concorde fleet - they can live pretty happily off of the legacy
Actually, I'd have loved NOTHING MORE than to see BA say "here, have 'em".... knowing that the world would then see Branson fall flat on his face, post-realizing that there was no way in hell he could op them profitably.
Old May 22, 2004, 11:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by ConcordeBoy
Actually, I'd have loved NOTHING MORE than to see BA say "here, have 'em".... knowing that the world would then see Branson fall flat on his face, post-realizing that there was no way in hell he could op them profitably.
But you realise, of course, that in a media world in which BA can do no right and Branson can do no wrong, when Branson fell flat on his face from an excess of ego it would have been all BA's fault.

I think BA's canny enough to know when it's better in the long run to take the short-term pain, on this as on many other issues.
Old May 22, 2004, 4:57 pm

Programs: Whatever will get me out of Y and into C or F!
Thanks for that ConcordeBoy,

It is a wonderful piece; can it be obtained as part of a DVD somewhere?

And, is it me or did Air France not promote Concorde in the manner and volume that BA did?

Was this perhaps because the London-New York run generates more prestige than Paris-New York?

And don't get me wrong, it was AF 001 and 002 on which I had my Concorde flights, so I witnessed AF's ops firsthand.
Old May 24, 2004, 6:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by HeHateY
And, is it me or did Air France not promote Concorde in the manner and volume that BA did?

Was this perhaps because the London-New York run generates more prestige than Paris-New York?
As I understand it, for years AF operated Concorde only because BA continued to operate Concorde, standing a loss of the equivalent of tens of millions of Euros a year - French pride would not have allowed a unilateral retirement while BA continued to operate the aircraft. PAR-NYC was more expensive to operate than LON-NYC, if for no other reason than that it's a longer route - hence Concorde was much more often load limited on PAR-NYC to the extent that some (8?) seats were ultimately removed from the AF aircraft. And in addition, the ultra-premium market was always much smaller in Paris than in London.

I suspect that the different attitude to promoting the aircraft probably stemmed from the AF view that Concorde was a pretty white elephant, whereas for BA she contributed positively to both image and bottom line.

Eventually, a combination of falling revenue for BA (eg poor economy, lost customers on 11.09.01) and rising maintenance costs all round (eg cockpit door mods) made it possible for AF to kill Concorde by a unilateral retirement and withdrawal from the maintenance programme, as the residual maintenance costs were then high enough to make it uneconomic for BA to continue on their own.
Old May 24, 2004, 10:26 am
Original Poster

Unhappy

PAR-NYC was more expensive to operate than LON-NYC, if for no other reason than that it's a longer route -
That, and because AF's fleet received such little overall usage vis-a-vis BA's

hence Concorde was much more often load limited on PAR-NYC to the extent that some (8?) seats were ultimately removed from the AF aircraft.
Concorde usually didnt have much problem negotiating CDG-JFK/IAD... until post-accident. The added weight of the Kevlar/Viton/Re-inforcements were the catalyst for the seat reduction.

BA installed seats with a net weight loss of over 400lbs. That, combined with the 200mi shorter distance allowed them to maintain a 100seat configuration

And in addition, the ultra-premium market was always much smaller in Paris than in London.
C'est vrai

as the residual maintenance costs were then high enough to make it uneconomic for BA to continue on their own.
Combine that, with the failed "Concorde Alliance" attempt.... and you have the bane of the great white dream
Old Apr 4, 2014, 12:30 pm

I realise this is a 10-year-old thread, but I'd like to get my hands on the original version of this "Thank You Concorde" video, and I thought somebody here might be able to help. Could anybody enlighten me as to where this video was made available originally, and if it's still available for download anywhere? There's a mention in the thread of an 88MB version - I wonder what the source of that file was. Essentially I'd just like to download the best quality version available if possible.

Thanks in advance.
Old Apr 5, 2014, 3:30 pm

Programs: BA bronze, Aeroplan peon
You can see it on youtube: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a4ywr8WgHNM
Old Apr 5, 2014, 4:00 pm

Thanks for the reply. Yes, seeing it is not so much the problem. I'm looking for the highest-quality version, which presumably would be the file that was made available originally. None of the versions on YouTube seem to be particularly good quality.
Old Apr 5, 2014, 4:05 pm

Programs: HiltonH. Gold Starwood Gold BA BLUES! Mucci.
I used to enjoy watching the start up from the lounge in T4...... Great days.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.