Community
Wiki Posts
Search

CONCORDE NY-LHR 1 flight per day!!!!!

Search this Thread

Old Aug 13, 2002, 3:32 am
Original Poster

CONCORDE NY-LHR 1 flight per day!!!!!

Just got a call from Qantas cancelling my Concord 12.30 flight and trying to book me on a 3 class aircraft.
I am travelling NY-LHR-FCU and FCU-LHR-NY
they didnt even know it was the concorde!
so be careful when they re schedule you!!
I now have to stopover overnight at the airport in LHR to get the concorde at 8.30 am.
I asked her to put in the booking that i may change to a 3 class aircraft.otherwise id be up for a penalty!!.
Old Aug 13, 2002, 4:53 am

Programs: Still a lowly Blue with BA but inching towards Bronze. Managed to get to KLM Silver!
tinkybelle - Since the relaunch there has only been one flight per day. Until the remainder of the fleet have had the modifications it is likely to remain this way. What they have done is changed the time of the return JFK-LHR leg. This was to allow the possibility to connect to later flights from LHR.

They positioned the second Concorde out to JFK a couple of weeks ago to begin the new schedule.
Old Aug 13, 2002, 5:18 am

Programs: UA-Platimum 2 MM, HH-Gold, MR-Lifetime Gold, Hyatt-Discoverist
I believe this departure change was announced in early June, and was part of their 'summer schedule' with a return to the 8:30am BA002 JFK-LHR in the fall. Tinkybelle, how long ago had you made your reservation?
Old Aug 13, 2002, 3:42 pm
Original Poster

I made the res in mid may. so its taken THIS LONG to tell me that my whole round the world trip has been changed!(I now have to stay in LHR the night from FCO if I want to DO concorde back to NY-
Old Aug 13, 2002, 5:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OWEmerald; STARGold; BonvoyPlat; IHGPlat/Amb; HiltonGold; A|ClubPat; AirMilesPlat
There was considerable discussion about the change in Concorde scheduling ex-JFK back in May on both this and the QF forum. Most people had booked JFK-LHR when the flight departed at 8:30am, then BA moved the flight to 12:30pm for the months of June and July. Some people were contacted quickly enough for their flights, others were not. The later JFK departure made all connections beyond LHR on the same date impossible, and required overnight hotel and changes to onward bookings. [Being on an award ticket, I was not offered a hotel in London, but do not know if BA provided this for rev passengers who had to change their plans.]

The departure ex-LHR was 10:30am but appears now to have also been changed in the same fashion. QF is not always familiar with the nature of the BA services it books, and not quick off the mark on sked changes.

The Concorde schedule is also affected by the decline in premium business this summer. BA is only now filling Concorde due to heavily discounted promotional fares, and is hardly in the position to be adding a second flight until premium fare business picks up.

It is also likely that BA checked bookings and found the overwhelming majority of Concorde travellers ended their trips in London, so a later departure was actually better than the previous early one. A business person can now conduct breakfast and morning meetings in NYC and still catch Concorde to London without losing a full day of business as was the case with the 8:30am departure. [BA's second Concorde departed around 1:30pm ex-JFK, and thus had reasonably good business loads since it accommodated morning meetings on that side of the Atlantic.]

It's been a weird summer for Concorde.
Old Aug 14, 2002, 4:56 am

Programs: Still a lowly Blue with BA but inching towards Bronze. Managed to get to KLM Silver!
I'm confused - BA001 departs at 10:30 and has done since the reintroduction. Checking schedules for the next couple of months and it is still showing as a 10:30 departure.

The only SSC flight departing at 12:30 was the BA002 JFK-LHR return flight. There has NEVER been a 12:30 LHR-JFK flight on Concorde.
Old Aug 14, 2002, 6:54 am
Original Poster

GAZA.
I was booked on BA 004 at 13.45 pm. from NY-LHR then back on BA 003 at 7pm LHR-NY!!!!!!!!!!!!
there were 2 flights a day each way at the time I booked therefore I could connect from Rome.
that is impossible now.
that is what I have been saying!!!

[This message has been edited by tinkybelle (edited 08-14-2002).]
Old Aug 14, 2002, 8:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OWEmerald; STARGold; BonvoyPlat; IHGPlat/Amb; HiltonGold; A|ClubPat; AirMilesPlat
When are you actually making this trip, tinkybelle? Is it in the coming weeks, or later in the fall? I know that BA had shown two daily Concorde flights after the October sked change [due to daylight savings time], but are you saying they have decided to go through the rest of the year with just BA1 and BA2, maintinaing the 12:30p departure ex-JFK and 10:30a ex-LHR? Or is it now 8:30a ex-LHR?
Old Aug 14, 2002, 9:59 am

Tinkybelle - That's where the confusion has arisen! BA had considered the two daily flights, adn you had been booked on them, but the economic situation does not warrant it, plus the modifications have been taking longer than expected so they do not have enough aircraft to operate a twice daily service.

Shareholder - BA001 leaves LHR at 10:30 and BA002 leaves at JFK at 08:30. Previously BA002 was operated by the aircraft that operated BA001 the same day but now it stays overnight to operate the next day.
Old Aug 14, 2002, 4:08 pm
Original Poster

My booking is for late April returning early May 2003.
Anyway nothing to do but take the changes.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.