!!!!! Merry, if you're online now !!!!!

Search this Thread

Old May 19, 2002, 12:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA-EP, TK-*G, HL-DM, HY-GLO, MR-LTP
My thoughts are with you, TOXA!
Old May 19, 2002, 1:45 am

Programs: Bah, HUMBUG!
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by ScottC:
a box of steaks?</font>
Already tried that one in the Fish thread but Sir Nicholas demurred.

As for the Cloudy Bay, someone Email me an address to ship it to (and preferred vintages) and it's there.
Old May 20, 2002, 11:55 am

Any updates from Toxa as far as her grandma's health goes?
Old May 20, 2002, 12:13 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Platinum (3MM), QF Lifetime Gold, Bonvoy Lifetime Platinum, Ex-Hyatt Diamond
Nick, this was a very nice real time attempt to help out as I can attest getting thru to someone who could offer even closely accurate information was a near impossibility, let alone that combination plus someone with aurthority to do anything about it...

"Brilliant" as you folks like to say.
Old May 20, 2002, 6:57 pm
NM

Programs: AA Plat & LTG; QF LTG
As someone who attended my last remaining Grandmother's funeral yesterday, and saw first hand the importance of the family being able to see her in hospital in the day(s) before she died, I echo the thanks to Merry and BA for doing all they could to assist Toxa's family's situation.

At least in our case, family only had to drive a few hours and one grand-daughter to fly about 4.5 hours (thanks to QF for providing the FF award seat for her).

In my case, Grandma was 86, and given an expected life of 3 score and 10 years, she had 16 bonus years for which we are very thankful.

Toxa, my prayers are with you and your family.
Old May 22, 2002, 4:04 pm
doc
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

All the best to Toxa and family and to Nick and BA and all who helped here!
Old May 22, 2002, 10:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Million Miler. (1.9M) Virgin Platinum. HH Diamond + SPG Gold
Great co-operation, and a great eventual outcome. Toxa is a VERY nice FT'er and was exceedingly helpful in our last visit to Brazil, getting us rooms at a superb Hotel etc at peak holiday time that we had no way whatever of obtaining ourselves. Wonderful to see such a nice guy getting such help.

------------------
~ Glen ~
Old May 23, 2002, 12:59 am
Fontaine d'honneur du Flyertalk

Programs: Reine des Muccis de Pucci; Foreign Elitist (according to others)
I've thought long and hard about saying this, but I've decided to tell you all something. Let me tell you all this.

One of our colleagues aged 24 and a great guy came and told us that he has to leave us for the time being.

They had discovered cancer cells in the upper bowel. He was going to deal with that. One the same day that this was uncovered, he had to go home to a funeral of a close relative who had died of the same thing. Now his Consultant is very worried about him as the spread of the cells is extremely fast and he must now stop work to have treatment every week several times a week. How I stopped the tears beats me even now, but that is no good for him and a silly indulgence for me.

Truth to tell and in the secure knowledge that he will probably never read this, I tell you that I am deeply concerned and think that there may be less hope than one would wish. That is pure conjecture on my part based on having walked this path too often.

I am professional, I will go on and do what I do well. However, in the face of this sort of thing, it is awfully difficult to concern myself overmuch about lack of Spa facilities for transit passengers, the provision of the wrong brand of Champagne, or the chicaneries of overseas catering uplift to name but a few.

This boy is about to fight for his life, and this drama is being repeated around our world with other boys and other girls. I will wear the mask and act the part and think what plonkers people can make of themselves (new word for you nologic). They should not know, they will not know how trivial I think their complaints are. What mugs they are to believe the marketing hype, and that reality is that we all do our best as often as we are able. Work is a great distractor from our own troubles.

We very rarely discuss health and safety and fitness here. It is a subject we tend to avoid. This Board is intended to be a relaxation. I fear that all of us take some things far too seriously.

I will hug HI close, and if I sound maudlin, do excuse me.

This thread has shown a side of you that all too often does not show. I've been far too serious for far too long so I'll close with thoughts for all my boys and girls out there. Take care

Puccixxxxxx
Old May 23, 2002, 3:19 am

Programs: LH SEN, AA AAirpass, IC Ambassador Platinum, *wood Gold
Best wishes for Toxa, approbation for Merry, and Pucci, yes most complaints in the overall scheme of things are trivial.
Old May 23, 2002, 5:19 am

Programs: BA GGL, British Midland Lifetime* Loser
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2"> Cloudy Bay can be pretty hard to come by in the UK...</font>
Fairly easy to come by in my house
Old May 23, 2002, 5:59 am

Pucci

I know only too well the feeling of losing someone you love dearly. 6 weeks ago my wife who I loved dearly and was absolutely devoted too, came home one evening and told me she was leaving. Until that point we had been as loving as at any time in our 4 years together and there had been no indication she was unhappy. She had met someone else at work 10 days previously (yes, that is not a mistake, it says 10 days) and decided she needed to be with that person more than she wanted to be with me. Since that night my life has crashed around me and I have been totally devastated. None of our family or friends can understand why it has happened. Everyone saw us as the "perfect couple".

Why am I sharing this with you all? It is because I believe that Life is cruel and unfortunately it seems to be crueliest to those that deserve it least.

I wish your colleague well and hope that his treatment is succesful.
Old May 23, 2002, 7:54 am

Programs: Bah, HUMBUG!
Depressed :

Get thee to a therapist... you might find that there were subtle warning signs that you couldn't or didn't want to see. Even if nothing else it'll give you a safe place to vent without driving all your friends away from going on ad nauseum for months.

What you have to do is realize that you are lucky that this didn't happen after 30 years and children. It'll take you a year or so to feel sorted again. Just move on and be glad you got a reprieve. I wish you the best.

Pucci : I know you wish to avoid contact but in this case it might be advisable. I'm not sure how good the cancer care is that this gent is getting but I've got *very* high level ties to one of the top cancer facilities in the US (M.D. Anderson) and feel quite certain we could get him admitted there. Not sure about the insurance issues but we've sent people up before who've had no insurance and it hasn't been a problem. Frankly, that's a non-issue... the insurance can be worked out AFTER he's cured.
Old May 23, 2002, 10:05 am
Fontaine d'honneur du Flyertalk

Programs: Reine des Muccis de Pucci; Foreign Elitist (according to others)
Very Depressed. My Love these words will tear you like a knife. She is not worth you pain. If you mean that much to her, you are better off without her. That will not make the days any more filled or the nights any less cold. If you knew how I have cried and cried over a man who treated me, ultimately, like a disposable item. I came home from a trip to find that he had locked left all my things with a friend, and flown off into the blue yonder. I was mortified, humiliated, hurt beyond hurt can tell. I survived. I found Him Indoors. I am happier than ever.

Kanebear. I do not have his home number, but if I cross his path I'll tell him, and for something as important as that I would break cover. If Isay to you that he wants to be with his Mum and Dad and Twin (they live up North), you will understand. I think that he is going to the Christie which like the Marsden down here are very well regraded.

May we take a rain check, as that is really uselful information (I do not think that money would be an issue).

IF THAT WERE NOT ENOUGH! HI and I are having new carpet on the stairs and landing. HI has smelled gas, and they have found TWO leaks in the pipe that runs under the landing to the stove. Nails went through the pipe, and it has been done years before we moved. My house is currently being torn to bits. there. I could have been blown to bits. I think that I'll stick to flying and sitting on millions of pounds of kerosene!

Anyone got a spare bed, and may I bring Him Indoors?!
Old May 23, 2002, 11:27 am

May I be the first to volunteer.

Nick
Old May 23, 2002, 6:57 pm

Programs: Island DOs, very sticky toffee pud w vanilla ice cream n multi-coloured velvet pillows enthusiast
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by PUCCI GALORE:
Anyone got a spare bed, and may I bring Him Indoors?!</font>
@@ Yes and welcome to chez belle, Pucci, will one king-sized bed do?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.