Getting Serious about Baggage Theft

Search this Thread

Old Jul 12, 2001, 10:30 am
doc
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
Original Poster

In an effort to reduce its payments to passengers for baggage that goes missing, British Airways is installing security cameras in the holds of all its aircraft. The move comes after a two-year undercover operation at 260 airports worldwide, during which the airline discovered thieves were entering aircraft holds and helping themselves to computers, jewelry, cameras and other items. "The message to anybody thinking about stealing from our aircraft is
that, if you do, there is a better-than-even chance of being caught," says John Stewardson, operations manager for BA's investigation services group. Although the thievery exists all over the world, Charles de Gaulle outside Paris and Johannesburg airports account for half of all BA
passenger claims for baggage theft and damage. But that should change rather quickly. In fact, ten baggage handlers
at the Paris airport were arrested recently for pilfering baggage after being caught by surveillance cameras.

http://newsletter.oag.com/cgi-bin2/f...WCH70TQ07x40Ae
Old Jul 13, 2001, 10:39 pm

Doc:

Thank you for this information. I will make sure that I never ever leave anything valuable in my checked baggage at CDG. I remember that they used to do a ldpe blow film shrink wrap around your suitcase, after the security xray and before check in. Do they still do this?

I read a lot of your posts with a great deal of interest. Your generous dissemination of your experiences and advice is much appreciated. Thank you!

Lotus

PS: Did you go to India recently, on a photographic expedition?
Old Jul 17, 2001, 5:10 am

I KNOW THE FEELING. I had my bags broken into twice at CDG. Both times it was after they forced me to check my 22" roll on case which fits perfectly into the overhead bin. I pleaded, but to no avail. Eventhough, one of the times I was connecting into Concorde. It is about time they did something.
Old Jul 17, 2001, 7:40 am
doc
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
Original Poster

Haven't been thru CDG with checked luggage recently, but I believe they still do! Anyone?

No recent Indian photographic expedition for me, as I have gradually been giving up doing photography too seriously! I did however relate the story some time ago. Thanks!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.