Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Bye Bye Concord

Search this Thread

Old Apr 27, 1999, 10:16 am
Original Poster

Location: Winnipeg Canada, Cambridge England. CP - EP (R.I.P.) formerly AC-SE now lower than the lowest low.
Bye Bye Concord

Merry:
You are sure to know if this is true, in a thread in the newsgroup re.travel.air it is claimed that the "best airplane in the world" is to cease operation in the year 2007.
I know they are 30 years old, but I was under the impression that as they did not work hard that would last longer than 7/8 years.
Whats the truth?
Old Apr 27, 1999, 10:41 am

Pick a number!

BA say they have at least another 20 years in them. They only fly a couple of return flights a week each and are well maintained and the equipment is updated often.

BA's stated on the last anniversary, that until someone brings out a new supersonic passenger aircraft they will run Concorde.

They can always buy another aircraft from Air France, who have never managed to run a succesful Concorde fleet.

Nick
Old Apr 27, 1999, 10:44 am
geo1004

SCMM: I've heard just the opposite. I've heard that Concorde should be with us for a long time. The amount of heat generated by supersonic flight tends to eliminate corrosion causing moisture...thus, the airframes are in good shape.

Old Apr 27, 1999, 1:59 pm

Programs: AA Plat, Marriott Plat for Life, SPG Plat, United Silver, given up on Skypesos for good
My understanding is that it does not generate enough profits to warrant going through the next major overhaul. I don't when that is scheduled.
Old Apr 27, 1999, 8:38 pm
Moderator: Hyatt Gold Passport & Star Alliance

Programs: UA-1K 3MM/HY- LT Globalist/BA-GGL/GfL
I think it's likely that the US will loose Concorde service as part of the trade dispute with the EU over quierter aircraft.

As I understand it if the EU imposes the new rules the US will stop Concorde landing on its shores.
Old Apr 28, 1999, 1:02 am
Original Poster

Location: Winnipeg Canada, Cambridge England. CP - EP (R.I.P.) formerly AC-SE now lower than the lowest low.
I would be sorry not to see concord in the skies, it really is the only airplane that still gets me excited when I see it, on the ground or in the air, and nowadays it does take alot to get me excited (with airplanes).
Merry I am sure you are correct, BA will keep them flying untill there is a replacement or when bit start to fall off them.
I do find it strange that while we (UK-USA) fight a real war as allies, we fight against each other over trade, its a weird world.
Old Apr 28, 1999, 1:31 am

Markie: I very much doubt that will happen. The majority of passengers on Concorde are US citizens and they are influencial people. The recent fuss over Concorde was exactly that. The US was sabre ratteling. Agreement to maintain Concorde services is a condition of UK open-skies proposals. The US will gladly accept this and then if they later impose tit-for-tat restrictions will be able to say they can't touch Concorde because of open-skies.

SSCM: The US-UK are not fighting each other over trade. The US-EC are in dispute. If you look at the items the US has placed tariffs on it is obvious they have avoided UK products.

Nick
Old Apr 28, 1999, 1:54 am
Original Poster

Merry:
Jolly good, I won't get all worked up about it then
Old Apr 28, 1999, 8:20 am
Original Member

Flingo:

It is more than likely that Concorde runs at a financial loss.

However, the kudos, advertising and media interest it generates more than compensates for that. You probably couldn't buy the amount of column inches or airtime that Concorde gets for many tens of millions of pounds.....
Old Apr 28, 1999, 8:37 am

Spike/Flingo: Concorde actually runs at a VERY healthy profit. Infact it is BA's most profitable service. BA's accounts specify profits from supersonic services.

Of course if they had had to pay for the aircraft at the outset, they would probably still be trying to recoup the initial costs.

Nick

[This message has been edited by Merry (edited 04-28-99).]
Old Apr 29, 1999, 3:15 pm

NASA is actually working on a design of 300 seat supersonic jet that is supposedly going to be turned over to a commercial developer at some point.

The problem they are working on at the moment is getting rid of the droopy nose, which means cameras and infrared sensors to land the plane blind. They done tests with a 737 already using the sensors.
Old May 4, 1999, 1:30 pm

You may find this interesting with regards to SuperSonic jets. The Russians actually built a passenger supersonic jet. The Tu-144 made its maiden flight on December 31, 1968 to become the first supersonic transport in the world to fly, two months ahead of the European Concorde. Its first passenger flight was on November 1, 1977 to Alma-Ata, Kazakhstan. Aeroflot withdrew the Tu-144 from passenger service in 1978 after only 102 passenger flights.

Currently, it is a joint NASA, Russian project on SuperSonic flight. See:
http://www.lerc.nasa.gov/WWW/HSR/TU144/

Although, I just read that this project may have been put on hold.
See: http://www.norasco.com/Rj08/13-aviation.html
Old May 4, 1999, 5:14 pm
Original Member, Ambassador: External Miles and Points Resources

Location: Digital Nomad Wandering the Earth - Currently in LIMA, PERU
VERY interesting show on US public TV late last year re: Concorde vs. Tu-144. Seems that the Russians applied all of their cold war resources to stealing the design and reverse-engineering the Concorde to the point where the Tu was finished first. Then there was a slight glitch of the Tu at an airshow, and confidence in the aircraft was destroyed...
Old May 4, 1999, 5:46 pm

Believe it or not, the Russians also stole plans for the Space Shuttle and they made their own shuttle and called it the Buran.

See link at Nasa:
http://liftoff.msfc.nasa.gov/rsa/buran.html

See Story entitled, "How Soviets Stole a Shuttle" at MSNBC:
http://www.msnbc.com/news/112811.asp
Old May 4, 1999, 6:46 pm
Original Poster

Matt Wald:
By "Slight Glitch" you mean it buried itself in the tarmac.
And I thought it was only us Brits who had mastered the art of understatement

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.