Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Finnair vs. BA on transatlantic flights

Search this Thread

Old Apr 28, 1999, 6:09 pm
Original Member

I think this should be a serious consideration too! Although on the whole, you are right about US airlines, when I came back to VA on Delta to Atlanta, there was a gourgeous young stewardess serving drinks to us in first class. As a young fellow myself, I just sat and gazed in awe!

On a similar note, I seem to remember reading somewhere a year ago or so that some older (and uglier) stewardesses at Crossair, a subsidiary of Swissair, were suing the airline for making a conscious effort to only hire good-looking young females to be members of their cabin crew. Unfortunately, I do not have any follow-up information, but I will post it if I come across it ...

But, Boris is definitely right, European airlines' stewardesses have a lot more in the
"looks" department than their North American counterparts. Also, some of the Asian airlines (SQ particularly) have the same benefits.
Old Apr 28, 1999, 8:32 pm
mgm

What year are we in anyway? 1969 or 1999? I try not to wear the PC hat too often, but I find the wording of some of these messages regarding the relative merits of flight attendants downright offensive. Remember, the primary reason the cabin crew is there is for your safety.
Old Apr 28, 1999, 8:48 pm
Original Member

sorry - no offence intended - I suppose I stepped over the line!
Old Apr 29, 1999, 1:00 am

Just remember that everytime an airline, any airline, has a cull of older FA's people are loosing their jobs.

Personnally, I would prefer to have a flight crew of mature, level headed, experienced FA's than a load of rookies, recruited primarily for their looks.

Nick
Old Apr 29, 1999, 1:21 am
Original Member

Programs: miles&more, MileagePlus
that discussion above turned in the wrong direction - and it seems to be my fault. I remember that I already did answer a similar (boris) remark about older .... (experienced) flight attendants months ago with "shame on you". And I meant that!
Old Apr 29, 1999, 1:53 am
Original Member

Programs: miles&more, MileagePlus
I would always profit from the opportunity to have a supplementary weekend-stay in a new town. And Helsinki is worth it (for all kind of interests).
Old May 1, 1999, 4:30 pm
Original Member

Be careful of the seat layout on Finnair--some of their MD-11s have 10 across (charter-style) not 9-across (scheduled-style). Otherwise Helsinki is a really intriguing city. I was there 2 Marches ago and really enjoyed it--would like to go back. There was a particularly interesting city tour--4 hours, I recall that hit some of the high points.
Old May 2, 1999, 11:14 am
Original Member

To share a little personal experience, a number of older fellow workers and myself
are feeling the age discrimination thing
in a downsizing - few are lazy, but some are fat and balding. We just do not fit in with the youth culture - and make too much money because of working for company too long.
Old May 2, 1999, 11:22 am
Original Member

And Rudi, please do not take offense from post above..I have been guilty of appreciating the younger FAs too, but joking aside, I think we all have to look inward and
see if this is the kind of society we want.
Old May 2, 1999, 3:32 pm
Suspended

Programs: Ephesians 4:31-32
Glad to see the conversation turned around. With any luck at all, we will all be able to live many decades being old and who knows, maybe bald, maybe fat and (no matter how hard we try) certainly not as pretty as we were at 20 or 30. Maybe more beautiful, however, in many ways.

While I agree that one of the delights of our mature years is to (quietly) admire the fleeting, physical charms of youth, it is imperative that we do so tactfully and without causing insult or injury to those who have managed to live as long as our parents.
If we plan to live to be 95 or more, we might very well want to be gainfully employed until we are in our mid to late 70s. AMEN to us if we can. I know that there is one NWA FA who began working in the 40s and is still going strong, now at 75. I applaud her and NW for its support.

I am one of the lucky ones who is the boss and has total control over my position, but I hurt deeply for the many people (especially women) who I see pushed aside during their most productive years in favor of youth. We need to be very careful. As we sow, so shall we reap.
Old May 2, 1999, 5:44 pm
Original Member

I would like to reitterate my apologies for my part in the above conversation. These comments were unintentionally offensive.
Old May 2, 1999, 7:38 pm
Original Member
Original Poster

I apologize for any of my comments that were classified by some of you as offensive. Could we stick to the original topic of the discussion, however???
Old May 2, 1999, 9:02 pm

Caution Boris!!!!!!!!! I think that it was exactly that apology that resulted in my first divorce.
Old May 3, 1999, 1:21 am

Can someone please remind me what the origional point of this post was?

By the way, I wasn't offended. I just had my HR hat on that day. I like to get all deep and serious every so often, just to keep you on your toes!

Nick
Old May 3, 1999, 1:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Location: Seat 1A, Juice pretty much everywhere, Mucci des Coins Exotiques
Well the original post was about Finnair. But I think we need to differentiate between castigating FA's about their looks versus appreciating their looks. I don't mind saying that when a FA works hard to look good and have a nice personality, I appreciate it. But I don't knock the regular working stiffs about their looks.

I will say that Azzura airlines has far and away the best looking FA staff. My last flight from Torino to Zurich with Azzura had 4 passengers and 4 super model FA's. Even though we were on a BAE 146, I loved the flight. Why? Is it wrong?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.