Community
Wiki Posts
Search

BA, OneWorld and RTW

Search this Thread

Old Mar 22, 1999, 7:22 pm
mgm

I should be in Singapore on the 7th. I will contact my friendly customer service reps at BA/QF and try to secure an invite. (Having my address in the US will probably mean that one is not automatically forthcoming).

Let's hope they have chosen somewhere reasonable in Chijmes (oh no not China Dump! whoops I meant Jump).
Old Mar 25, 1999, 7:54 pm
Suspended

Programs: BA, SQ, AA, QF, CX, VS
mgm -

OneWorld Reception to be held at CHIJMES - don't know where (I haven't received my invitatio yet). But each 1w member gets to send out 500 invitations to their frequent flyers, corporate clients, and agencies. Meaning there will be over 2500 people!

Drinks only I'm afraid (I was expecting dinner or at least nibblies!)
Old Mar 26, 1999, 10:18 am
Original Member

Celestar - of which airline shall you be the guest at this party?
Old Mar 27, 1999, 10:10 am
Suspended

Baobab,

I'm still awaiting for my invitations to arrive. Though I've been told that 'it's in the mail'.

I'm Emerald with Canadian and Sapphire with Cathay Pacific and Qantas. I've been told that I would be receiving only one invitation after a 'comparison' is done by the agency in charge of sending out the invites.

Old Mar 28, 1999, 11:55 am

I would love to know how the OneWorld airlines have decided who is going to be invited.

BA alone many many more than 500 Gold (Emerald) members 'in' Singapore , and that is without counting agents and corporate clients.

I think I will give them a ring and find out how they are deciding who is invited and why I wasn't!
Nick
Old Mar 29, 1999, 2:35 am
Suspended

Merry -

I thought you're based in the UK. Great if I get to meet more Flyertalk people !

I'm going (though have not received my invitation yet...). What about you baobob?
Old Mar 29, 1999, 2:54 am
Original Member

I don't think Merry wants to attend. I think he wants to be invited so that he can decline.

------------------
Cheers,
HKF
Old Mar 29, 1999, 2:58 am

Celestar: I am based in the UK and I wouldn't go to this event - I have made a practice of avoiding airline junkets and parties, I really don't enjoy them at all.

However, BA practice is that Premier's get notified of all promotional events open to passengers (however selected and where ever they are) just in case they wish to attend, and as I haven't been notified yet alone invited I am not a happy bunny.

I had a good rant at the BA Manager responsible for OneWorld promotion this morning, she has promised to call me back, as she says she doesn't know of this event.

I am now in a good mind not only to attend, but to get BA to provide a non-rev flight ticket as well.
Nick
Old Mar 29, 1999, 3:03 am

HKF: You beat me to it!

I am now in full rant mode, I think it is time to 'phone the heavy-weights - are you redaing this Tab Bashir (Bob Aylings, Exec Assistant) you are next on my list to call.
Nick
Old Mar 29, 1999, 7:35 am
Original Member

Celestar - I won't be there.

I was curious to know who would be inviting you, as you were discussing Canadian, Cathay and Qantas on the BA thread - but it wasn't clear which airline would be inviting you to attend.

[This message has been edited by baobab (edited 03-29-99).]
Old Apr 13, 1999, 11:04 am

Celestar/MGM: Did either of you get to the OneWorld party in the end, or indeed get your invites?

BA are insistent there was no such event and I am getting mighty angry with them.

When I find out where this was held and who was invited, I will be in full rant mode!
Nick
Old Apr 13, 1999, 9:07 pm
mgm

Merry -- I have given up. Every time I have asked the BA/QF office in Singapore they say they know nothing about it. The AA Executive Platinum desk in the US (where my ff program is registered) also know nothing about it and say there have not been any similar events organized elsewhere.

Celestar -- any further info?
Old Apr 14, 1999, 6:37 am
Suspended

MGM & Merry -

I'm not a happy camper either...There was an 'event' held at CHIJMES' Banquet Hall in Singapore on the 7th April. The invitations were handled by a "PR" company organised by Cathay Pacific specifically, though Qantas/BA, American and Canadian helped out. All airlines submitted a list of their "VIPs" , Emeralds, Sapphires and Rubies. This PR company was to do a comparison with the other oneWorld partners to make sure that there was no 'overlap' as some members held more than one status with other airlines. I held CP Emerald and QF and CX Sapphires.

I flew in specially from Bangkok for this event - and in the end found out that only a certain amount of invitations were sent out and not necessarily to Emerald members only either. Entry only by Invitaion cards. By 6.30pm, frantic calls by me to both the Canadian Airlines and Cathay Pacific office heeded no results as they did not control the invitaion list and was unable to secure an invite for me.

Of the 1000 or so people promised to be invited, only about 300 showed up. Most were special 'invites', agency people and a handful of actual OneWorld customers. Apparently there were more AA guests than Canadian. And more BA/Qantas people than Cathay. There were drinks, nibblies, and press conferences about OneWorld's products (we're a little slow in this part of the world). The highlight of the event was of course the lucky draws. SIX sets of tickets - RTW for 2 in First Class, RTW for 2 in Business and RTW for 2 in Economy on OneWorld carriers were given out.

I've protested to Canadian and Cathay Pacific about the hype to the event but yet was poorly organised in the end.
Old Apr 14, 1999, 6:50 am

Celestar: Can I ask who advised you you would be invited?

I was interested by your use of the term "VIPs", are presume that you are aware that all the OneWorld carriers now share a database of "flagged" VIP passengers. This VIP flag is independent of elite status or FF scheme membership, but is indicative of your commercial clout.

I would be amazed if OW used FF status to decide upon invites to such an event, their practice since formation has been to use VIP status.
Nick
Old Apr 14, 1999, 12:23 pm
Suspended

Merry -

I was initially given the indication that as a FF with Emerald status I would be invited. The initial invitation was originally set for 3000 - about 500 each from each 1W member plus an additional from the Press. CP indicated that they had to oblige in sending in their own database of frequent flyers based in Singapore to a company that was sending out the invitations. They had thought right up to the day before the event that I and a few of their very frequent flyers would be invited. They were just as surprised as to who got finally invited when they showed up at the event. AA's name list did not even include their Emeralds or Sapphire or even their FIT passengers but their passengers who seemed to redeem a lot of awards from the Singapore office.

The final tally of people who were there were mostly CIPs or hopefully CIPs, Press people, travel agents (though my travel agent didn't have any idea about it), some frequent flyer people ,though as someone noticed - there seemed to be more people there with 'VIP' titles. ie - President and CEOs, Consulate people etc than the average Joe Blow with no title attached on his profile (like mine).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.