Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Web of (not so) intrigue

Search this Thread

Old Mar 19, 1999, 9:15 am

Bab's: as always your suggestion would appear a good one.

What is "back end functionality"? Do they mean the interface with their database is screwed?

And just remember no-one at BA has to read my rantings, it is their choice. But if you are saying I ran too much, you are quite!
MF
Old Mar 19, 1999, 9:21 am
Original Member

That's roughly right, Merry - I imagine that they have grand designs for how everything should look from the 'front end', but that the gritty reality (the 'back end', where everything interfaces) is that the engines/languages/scripts that they are using cannot compatibly do everything that they are asking.

i.e. Back To The Drawing Board.
Old Mar 19, 1999, 12:27 pm
Original Poster

I know when I quizzed BA about the Web site reported miles not matching the phone system reported miles (and not just because of a time lag) they indicated that there wasn't anything that could be done since the database was in the UK. Hmm, the Brits might be lagging a bit (me being a Brit I recognize such things) in the acceptance of technology (like email, WWW) but the last time I checked they could still do databases. Anyway, maybe they are having trouble producing accurate information.

In related news, when I used the in-lounge access terminals (those funny touchscreen jobbies) I got the same (wrong) info as the web reported.
Old Mar 19, 1999, 1:30 pm
Original Member

well, it's certainly unbelievable project management if they have managed to screw the system up by trying to upgrade it. you just don't play with production systems until the new version is tested tested tested. hard to understand and makes me think it's something completely different.

Maybe it's Y2K?

Maybe it's a hint of what will happen to the other BA systems....
Old Mar 19, 1999, 1:35 pm

Now lets not get carried away - they know it is an issue now, lets see how long it takes them to fix it.

And as an aside the Project Team managing this is outsourced and is based in the US!
MF
Old Mar 20, 1999, 2:04 am
Original Member

anybody would think I was baiting you.....

..now what were we saying about the US and technology?

Stimpy....stimpy...where are you???

Old Mar 26, 1999, 10:56 am

I just got a call saying the on-line balance facility is now working again.

I'm off to check it out now.....

Nick
Old Mar 26, 1999, 12:13 pm
Original Member

Programs: One World
No luck yet.... (maybe its the browser; IE5)will keep trying.
Old Mar 26, 1999, 12:38 pm
Original Poster

Well, the site is back up, and they have changed some things - my total balance is now below what the phone is reporting! Last transaction is October 98! What a joke. C'mon BA. How much does it take to test this stuff.
Old Mar 26, 1999, 2:27 pm
Original Member

I am getting connection errors using both NS4.5 and IE 3.01 on a Mac platform...

doesn't look fixed to me.
Old Mar 26, 1999, 6:21 pm
Original Poster

Went back again to find Mar 99 entries, still wrong total balance, and no BA Visa entries.....sigh.
Old Mar 27, 1999, 1:24 am

It worked OK for me. The balance was right (as far as I could tell) although it was very slow.
Nick
Old Mar 27, 1999, 10:08 am
Original Member

Well, it finally worked for me last night: this is an improvement. (the new "improved" website previously hadn't worked with NS 4.5 on a Mac)

HOWEVER... miles from AT&T and FirstUSA (miles for visa purchases) don't appear/aren't itemised, and no flights beyond early February appear. Although I phoned BA and asked for a printed statement a month ago I am still waiting...

Perhaps, (to give them the benefit of the doubt?) they are in the process of updating their database... and to think that the UA ffs complain because their website is two weeks behind...
Old Mar 30, 1999, 10:17 am
Original Member

....Access to the Executive Club member's area is currently unavailable.

For account information, please contact your Service Centre...

...Thank you for your patience. We are currently investigating the problem and hope that the member's area of the Executive Club website will be available as soon as
possible.

Patience? Wow. These guys really have problems!
Old Mar 30, 1999, 10:28 am

Spike: Please take my lack of defence of BA, as being a measure of my annoyance at their inability to run a decent web-site.
Nick

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.