Wiki Posts
Search

BA & JetBlue (B6) to launch codeshares

Search this Thread

Old May 22, 2024, 2:47 pm
Original Poster

BA & JetBlue (B6) to launch codeshares

Make of it what you will…

Last edited by aks120; May 22, 2024 at 3:00 pm Reason: Changed to a visual link.... I think!
Old May 22, 2024, 2:50 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold
Submission document to the DOT - shows the list of proposed codeshare destinations

https://downloads.regulations.gov/DO...tachment_1.pdf
Old May 22, 2024, 2:51 pm

Programs: BAEC GGLfL
Gosh. That's a surprise. Others may not be very hAAppy.
Old May 22, 2024, 2:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold
Surprised those email addresses aren’t redacted !
orbitmic likes this.
Old May 22, 2024, 3:29 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, B6 Mosaic 2, AS MVP Gold, DL GM
Very surprised by this, JetBlue and AA used to be close with the NEA, and I can't imagine BA would do this without AA knowing? Maybe this spells some kind of resurrection of the NEA?

Either way, after switching my loyalty to JetBlue, this is potentially very welcome news...but if you though BA IT was bad, wait until you try JetBlue's...
BearX220 and fergiethefocus like this.

Last edited by skydelt; May 22, 2024 at 3:35 pm Reason: typo
Old May 22, 2024, 4:09 pm

Programs: BAEC Bronze, Mucci recipient
Does that mean we'd be able to earn Avios and TP on B6 operated flights in the US,? That would be interesting
Old May 22, 2024, 4:15 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by AJA_
Does that mean we'd be able to earn Avios and TP on B6 operated flights in the US,? That would be interesting
If it has a BA code on it then yes. So if you booked a LHR-JFK-LAX in J you’d get 280TPs with the JFK-LAX in B6 mint
the810 and davidbrent like this.
Old May 22, 2024, 4:22 pm

Originally Posted by andymcdonnell
If it has a BA code on it then yes. So if you booked a LHR-JFK-LAX in J you’d get 280TPs with the JFK-LAX in B6 mint
The filing does not include any mention of other cooperation, such as frequent flyer program reciprocity. A query to JetBlue about that potential remains pending at time of announcement.

I'd like to think in time and with the approvals granted this will include what you're suggesting but we're a long way off that at the moment.
Old May 22, 2024, 4:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci, BA, AF
Originally Posted by 1Aturnleft
The filing does not include any mention of other cooperation, such as frequent flyer program reciprocity. A query to JetBlue about that potential remains pending at time of announcement.
Yes, but if you book any flight on a BA code, regardless who it's operated by, you'll earn Avios / TPs.
orbitmic, the810 and Ldnn1 like this.
Old May 22, 2024, 4:31 pm
Original Poster

I'd like to think in time and with the approvals granted this will include what you're suggesting but we're a long way off that at the moment.

“A codeshare flight is where two or more airlines share the same flight. It's operated by one airline under their own code and has additional flight numbers under the codes of other airlines. For example, the British Airways flight BA219 also operates under the American Airlines code AA6170.

Whether you collect Avios and Tier Points depends on the airline flight number on your ticket:
  • If your flight code is British Airways, you’ll collect Avios and Tier Points no matter who operates the flight.
  • If your flight code is for a oneworld airline, you’ll collect Avios only if your flight is also operated by a oneworld airline.
  • For other flight codes, you won’t collect Avios.
The amount you earn is determined by the airline code you booked under.”
the810 likes this.
Old May 22, 2024, 4:34 pm

jetBlue said they planned to drop flights to Milwaukee, Wisconsin (MKE) as part of their cost cutting. How do they plan to operate that codeshare flight?

https://skift.com/2024/01/19/jetblue...rit-collapses/
https://www.cnbc.com/2024/01/19/jetb...-purchase.html
https://www.bizjournals.com/milwauke...ast-route.html
Old May 22, 2024, 4:45 pm
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by cruser1
jetBlue said they planned to drop flights to Milwaukee, Wisconsin (MKE) as part of their cost cutting. How do they plan to operate that codeshare flight?
The team will have been working on this for many months before being in a position to submit this for approval to the regulators. They would early in the process taken a snapshot of the network, particularly off BOS and JFK, and worked off that, ignoring any changes that happen along the way. Otherwise the job would never get done. It's not unusual to seek codeshare rights on routes and then not operate them, or operate them from time to time. If MKE was restored then they don't need to go back to the regulators.
alex67500, cruser1 and jaro like this.
Old May 22, 2024, 5:02 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, B6 Mosaic 2, AS MVP Gold, DL GM

For reference, B6's other codeshare partnerships have been almost exclusively codeshare only and haven't advanced into FF reciprocity. There's a minor agreement with Etihad but that's about it.
Old May 22, 2024, 5:02 pm

Originally Posted by andymcdonnell
“A codeshare flight is where two or more airlines share the same flight. It's operated by one airline under their own code and has additional flight numbers under the codes of other airlines. For example, the British Airways flight BA219 also operates under the American Airlines code AA6170.

Whether you collect Avios and Tier Points depends on the airline flight number on your ticket:
  • If your flight code is British Airways, you’ll collect Avios and Tier Points no matter who operates the flight.
  • If your flight code is for a oneworld airline, you’ll collect Avios only if your flight is also operated by a oneworld airline.
  • For other flight codes, you won’t collect Avios.
The amount you earn is determined by the airline code you booked under.”
I'm aware what a codeshare is. And like I said previously the finer details have yet to be confirmed but I agree should follow this process assuming BA doesn't amend that wording in time for if/when this particular codeshare agreement comes in to force.

Believe it or not but the whole point of a codeshare from an airline perspective isn't about passengers earning status and miles. It's about providing a seamless travel experience from A-B via C. The earning ability is very much a byproduct of this agreement and yet here we are discussing the ability to earn Avios and Tier points on Mint Transcon before the application ink has even dried....

​​​
Old May 22, 2024, 6:38 pm

Programs: too many
I'm quite surprised that BA will codeshare on B6 routes that AA also operates such as JFK-LAX and JFK-MIA.

I could understand BA codesharing on routes that AA does not operate (AA is somewhat weak out of NYC) but the competition routes are a definite surprise.

Note that Jetblue is coach only for the majority of their fleet.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.