Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Upgrading from club world to first - turned down !

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old May 10, 2024, 3:49 pm
Original Poster

I am BA Gold and got my first ever upgrade BGI to LHR this week from club to first but I didnt take it as they didnt upgrade my wife and didnt want to do it alone

Im curious is that common ?
would have thought they upgrade two people when travelling on same booking
Old May 10, 2024, 4:04 pm

Programs: BA GGL; SK EBG; QF LTG; Hilton Diamond, A-Club Platinum, Marriott Platinum
When this happens I give the seat to my wife….
Old May 10, 2024, 4:20 pm

Originally Posted by Greymatter99
I am BA Gold and got my first ever upgrade BGI to LHR this week from club to first but I didnt take it as they didnt upgrade my wife and didnt want to do it alone

Im curious is that common ?
would have thought they upgrade two people when travelling on same booking
I turned down an upgrade on Cathay for the same reason once. I suspect my wife would have accepted
Old May 10, 2024, 4:56 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold
Either they only had seat free in F, or they only wanted to free up one seat in Club (BA really only do operational upgrades when they need to, rarely if ever as a “favour”)

normally I’m sure they would target the solo travellers if the requirement was to upgrade just one passenger, but my guess is on BGI as a leisure route not many people fly solo hence how this played out
Old May 10, 2024, 5:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GGL+GfL, ALL Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
Yes, it's fairly common that this happens (and several threads discuss it already), and relatively frequent that people refuse for that reason too, though as noted many others choose to accept it (often with a gallant twist)
Old May 10, 2024, 6:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: **Mucci Diamond Hairbrush** - compared to that nothing else matters (+BA Bronze)
My dad whilst travelling with two of his teenage children many years ago was offered an upgrade to Club. He wasnt turning that down so enquired as to whether there was anything that could be done for the two of us still in World Traveller. The woman checking us in said shed move us to the upper deck (shows how long ago this was) and to the exit row so masses of legroom.

We had a very nice flight but not as good as it would have been in Club
Strawb and becks1 like this.
Old May 11, 2024, 12:54 am

Programs: BAEC GGL, LTG & CCR; IC RA; Hilton D (free from BA)
99% of my travel is alone and I have turned down first a few times over the years, especially if I just want to go flat when the wheels leave the ground and sleep and not go through the palaver of first service. I am lucky and could sleep in a trench if I had to.
simonsmith, BA or bust and becks1 like this.
Old May 11, 2024, 1:28 am

Gosh! The seat goes flat in F and you get better bedding and service when you want it. Give it a go next time; its better than J.
nilsfr69 likes this.
Old May 11, 2024, 2:16 am

Programs: BAEC Gold
Er yeah, even if I dont want any service (almost always on an overnight flight) Id go for F if it were offered - better seat and bedding, and the crew can be more flexible if you want minimal service - on an overnight I usually just want one cup of tea as close to landing as possible - in Club thats often forgotten, in First I get that plus normally a top up in a paper cup for landing - little things!

id never turn down F just because I didnt fancy the full meal - its optional!!
Old May 11, 2024, 2:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Back in the 747 days, turning down an upgrade to 4EF when you had 62K was the smart thing to do. On an overnight flight the benefit of F is pretty limited and the elongated service can mean more noise and disturbance in the cabin.
SP0, Steve74, Wozza2404 and 3 others like this.
Old May 11, 2024, 6:29 am
SP0

Originally Posted by Swanhunter
Back in the 747 days, turning down an upgrade to 4EF when you had 62K was the smart thing to do. On an overnight flight the benefit of F is pretty limited and the elongated service can mean more noise and disturbance in the cabin.
Ah, 62K, that brings back memories .... So many nights spent there!
Old May 11, 2024, 6:34 am

Programs: BA GGL, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond
This does happen sometimes. Luck of the draw.

Ive had a group of 4 Op-upped and also just me and 3 left behind - all on the same trip.

I doubt DUT is programmed to avoid this situation.
Old May 11, 2024, 1:32 pm

Smile Funny Story

Originally Posted by Koru Flyer
When this happens I give the seat to my wife.
I have a funny story., a few decades ago I was traveling with an ex-girlfriend on a AA domestic flight -- LGA-MIA ) We were in Y. ( It was our first long weekend trip)
I was offered one F seat and of course accepted it right away and gave it to her, But she did not want it as I was the elite member!.
She held her ground ( of course this was a less than 2 minute discussion, as we were about to board ) So, I grabbed a quarter out of my pocket and yelled heads or tails and tossed it up!
Old May 11, 2024, 2:02 pm

So who won the F upgrade? Ex-girlfriend; bet you were a sick as a parrot if she got it!
Old May 12, 2024, 6:37 am

Programs: British Airways Executive Club
Funnily enough I just turned down an upgrade at the gate that would have split me and my other half up and was searching for information and just came across this thread.

After being spoken to quite rudely by the gate agent I spoke with the Inflight Lead who suggested I just sat in my original seat and explain to the customer who was given mine. He was quite jovial with me when I said you would be mad to turn down that seat (I was given 1C instead of a middle seat in ET). Bracing for an upset partner in case they were to say no, I was pleased to see the second man by the front door come down the aisle to advise they were looking out for the person allocated my seat and they had already intercepted the pax in my seat who had accepted.

Given my refusal hasnt been recorded anywhere and as far as BAs systems are concerned I accepted it, just out of interest, does their system record who has been given opups and will my name now be lower down the pecking order should one be required going forward?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.