Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Will this Buenos Aires/Rio-London idea work?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old May 10, 2024, 4:26 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Gold

Hello!

I'm planning a holiday from London to Argentina. Thanks to the current sale, it's much cheaper to return from GIG than it is from EZE.

Usually when I do something like this, I'd make sure to be back in the departure city of my London flight at least 24 hours before departure.

However, in this case as the plane from EZE stops in GIG, would it be safe to buy a separate ticket for EZE-GIG on the same day as the GIG-LHR flight - because if the plane doesn't leave EZE, it won't be leaving GIG? Essentially split ticketing, saving 500+.

I'm just trying to get an idea of risk in case of IRROPS - would I lose any right to rebooking the GIG-LHR flight because I won't be in GIG in time to get on it if it's delayed/cancelled from EZE?

The BA EZE-GIG flight is pricier than other AEP-GIG options so I'd happily get one of those the day before my flight to London!

Clearly I'm also assuming that the split-ticketing will work in the same way as it does when I buy London-York and York-Edinburgh train tickets to save money - ie I can get on at London and off in Edinburgh. Would it work the same way for this flight or would I need to factor in getting off to clear security or anything like that?

Thanks in advance for any insight!

Last edited by The_Editor; May 10, 2024 at 4:33 am
Old May 10, 2024, 4:39 am

Personally I wouldn't risk the connection as you're proposing it.

There have been days when BA has cancelled the GIG-EZE-GIG shuttle at short notice for operational reasons which would leave you high and dry for your GIG-LHR connection.

Assuming all goes to plan and that you'll be checking bags, the BA gate is a long walk from immigration for which there could be queues. You then need to collect bags, process customs and then head back upstairs for check-in which will have likely closed by the time you get there.

How about an Avios redemption EZE-GIG the day before and spending 24hrs (or longer) in Rio before flying back to London?
The_Editor and Cymro like this.
Old May 10, 2024, 4:39 am

Programs: BA GGL / GfL
Two points to note:

1) If you are checking luggage, in theory the agent in EZE will only check your bag to GIG and will tell you to pick it up there and recheck for the GIG-LHR sector as they are 2 separate tickets and I am not sure if you have time for that. You may get lucky and have them checked the whole way through to LHR, but be prepared to go HBO for the return sector.
2) There is a remote possibility due to weather or other issues BA can cancel the GIG-EZE-GIG sectors and just return the aircraft from GIG back to London. Given you are on 2 separate tickets, you would be classified as a no-show for the GIG-LHR sector and BA would correctly tell you to buy a brand new ticket for that leg as their contract was to get you from EZE to GIG.

Pilot37
The_Editor likes this.
Old May 10, 2024, 4:51 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Gold
Perfect - thanks both, really appreciate your help!

Earlier flight to Rio it is!
drwook likes this.
Old May 10, 2024, 5:40 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Also worth pointing out every now and then BA faff about with the EZE-LHR schedule.
BA or bust likes this.
Old May 10, 2024, 10:12 am

Programs: BAEC, Krisflyer
Originally Posted by 1Aturnleft
Personally I wouldn't risk the connection as you're proposing it.

There have been days when BA has cancelled the GIG-EZE-GIG shuttle at short notice for operational reasons which would leave you high and dry for your GIG-LHR connection.

Assuming all goes to plan and that you'll be checking bags, the BA gate is a long walk from immigration for which there could be queues. You then need to collect bags, process customs and then head back upstairs for check-in which will have likely closed by the time you get there.

How about an Avios redemption EZE-GIG the day before and spending 24hrs (or longer) in Rio before flying back to London?
We are doing a similar routing later this year and have bought an Avios redemption EZE-GIG for the day before. There appeared to be plenty of seats available on every day of the week I looked; in both directions; and in all classes.
1Aturnleft likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.