Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

e-gates in LHR and LGW down [Tue 7 May - now restored]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

e-gates in LHR and LGW down [Tue 7 May - now restored]

Search this Thread

Old May 7, 2024, 3:04 pm

Just spent about an hour getting through at LGW. Once in the passport hall spoke to a member of staff to say someone needs to go back there as its a health and safety nightmare. He claimed to have gone back there himself twice in the last 20 minutes, which was not factual as I had eyes on him for at least 15 and he hadn't moved.
adrianlondon likes this.
Old May 7, 2024, 3:05 pm
Fairmont Contributor Badge

Programs: BAEC electrum
Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
There is currrently no extra information here above the reports already in this thread, however the BBC typically update this page as information comes in

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-68972065
"Manchester Airport said its customer services colleagues were supporting passengers by handing out water"
But no bread...
kanderson1965 likes this.
Old May 7, 2024, 3:06 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver, IHG Diamond
Same a couple of weeks ago when I was last at LHR.

I would put odds on it that someone has been hacking again rather than a "We updated our systems and there was a glitch" sort of thing.

At MAN tomorrow, so lets see what that brings.
SxMan likes this.
Old May 7, 2024, 3:07 pm

Programs: BAEC
Originally Posted by Lucanesque
IT issue or cyber attack of some sorts?
Reports that suspect the Chinese hacked the Military payroll this week! Perhaps they went for the double whammy!

MoD data breach: State involvement cannot be ruled out in armed forces hack, says Grant Shapps https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-68967805
Lucanesque likes this.
Old May 7, 2024, 3:08 pm

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, BA LTG, Hilton Diamond, FB Platinum, EK Gold
So, it took me about 2 hours to get through, everyone needed to be checked manually by Border Force. I arrived about 15 minutes after the systems went down, so others arriving later might have had to wait longer. They handed out water, families with children were prioritised.All in all not a pleasant experience. I am still not clear what the exact issue actually is.
adrianlondon likes this.
Old May 7, 2024, 3:08 pm

Originally Posted by Janeyferr
Just spent about an hour getting through at LGW. Once in the passport hall spoke to a member of staff to say someone needs to go back there as its a health and safety nightmare. He claimed to have gone back there himself twice in the last 20 minutes, which was not factual as I had eyes on him for at least 15 and he hadn't moved.
yep about the same for me, maybe 45 minutes. There was a massive choke point on the entry to the passport control hall with people pushing their way in through 1 set of narrow doors.
Agree staff were unhelpful and uncaring. No water handed out here but maybe there is now that its worse. I think I arrived towards the start of the outage so it might be better managed now
adrianlondon likes this.
Old May 7, 2024, 3:10 pm

Programs: BA GGL, British Midland Lifetime* Loser
If anyone disrupted is willing to spare the time to brief my colleague to update his piece below I'd be most grateful ... alexander dot [email protected]

https://www.independent.co.uk/travel...-b2541162.html
Old May 7, 2024, 3:22 pm

Programs: Sir Ratechaser Seigneur de la Patience d'un Saint (Mucci), BA Silver, Starbucks Gold
Originally Posted by cameramaker
Will only need a couple more arrivals and theyll have to consider closing T5 arrivals due to overcrowding!
Maybe divert planes to KGL, I believe they have spare capacity for arrivals...
dvs7310, binman, T8191 and 14 others like this.
Old May 7, 2024, 3:36 pm

Programs: BD, BAEC Pleb, VS Pleb, Accor Pleb, HHonors Gold, Big White Season Pass
The Fails story has updated to say that the eGates are back up. Then it goes on to say that the cause was the secure Wi-Fi going down, then the Border Crossing system had collapsed as well. So who knows.
Old May 7, 2024, 3:36 pm

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, BA LTG, Hilton Diamond, FB Platinum, EK Gold
Just to be clear as I see reports that it is an e-gates issue; not the case, it is/was an issue with all border force systems, therefore all passengers needed to be checked manually, meaning passport number, date of birth etc needed to be entered manually to clear arriving passengers, an that is why it all took so long
Old May 7, 2024, 3:40 pm

Programs: BA, Accor, Hilton, ITA
in situations like this is the Domestic Transfer route still able to cope with your connection. When I went thru last week the small number of e gates there were all closed anyhow with 3 border force desks handling the very small queue of half a dozen people. I wonder if the issue might be actually getting to the transfer area in this circumstance!
Old May 7, 2024, 3:47 pm
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by cheshirepete
in situations like this is the Domestic Transfer route still able to cope with your connection. When I went thru last week the small number of e gates there were all closed anyhow with 3 border force desks handling the very small queue of half a dozen people. I wonder if the issue might be actually getting to the transfer area in this circumstance!
thats only useful if you are connecting to a UK/DUB/JER flight though.
Old May 7, 2024, 3:48 pm

Originally Posted by ratechaser
Maybe divert planes to KGL, I believe they have spare capacity for arrivals...
That took me a minute but I laughed quite hard!
jmd, dvs7310 and binman like this.
Old May 7, 2024, 3:52 pm

Programs: BA Gold, Avis President
Under these circumstances and assuming you're in no hurry, would not the best strategy be to wind your way back to the F lounge or one of the other lounges...?? Wait a few hours and hopefully they resolve it...??

How would you do that in practice...?? Would you be allowed entrance (assume you have status), but are on an arriving flight as opposed to being properly in transit...??

Say you arrive, take the train and get to immigration...and its a bun fight like today. Do you take the lifts and head down to the passage ways and walk back to the B gate lounge...?? Head up to the departures area and try to get into the F lounge...??

Is this even technically possible...??

Chris
nilsfr69 likes this.

Last edited by Chris_G; May 7, 2024 at 3:53 pm Reason: added info
Old May 7, 2024, 3:57 pm

Originally Posted by Chris_G
Under these circumstances and assuming you're in no hurry, would not the best strategy be to wind your way back to the F lounge or one of the other lounges...?? Wait a few hours and hopefully they resolve it...??

How would you do that in practice...?? Would you be allowed entrance (assume you have status), but are on an arriving flight as opposed to being properly in transit...??

Say you arrive, take the train and get to immigration...and its a bun fight like today. Do you take the lifts and head down to the passage ways and walk back to the B gate lounge...?? Head up to the departures area and try to get into the F lounge...??

Is this even technically possible...??

Chris
No. You are in the arrivals stream and would need a boarding pass for an onward flight to go through connections security.
adrianlondon likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.