Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

GGL in 21 days? With 6 Jokers earnt? Bonkers - but I want to do it...

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

GGL in 21 days? With 6 Jokers earnt? Bonkers - but I want to do it...

Search this Thread

Old May 2, 2024, 9:45 am

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by kingcole974
Typo, you do mean 5000 right?

Relevant to me as I'm in a similar situation to OP. Same date and doing the CGK run, albeit from a higher base (3600). My runs will be complete on 18th May and I'm hoping to use both my jokers before renewal on 8th June.
Only ever been a garden variety Gold member but will be at just over 3000TPs 8 months into membership year and half contemplating a run to get to GGL. Cant decide if worth the time/money but it is tempting!
Old May 2, 2024, 9:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: KL Platinum; A3 Gold
Originally Posted by cauchy
Reckon fastest (but very expensive) way to do this is 2x INV-LHR-JFK-LAX-HNL, nested with BA holidays. My count is 1840 avios per trip if you do it in J.
And at 9 Avios per 1 for a Gold, you're estimating the price of that J ticket at just 204.

We really need to get you a job in BA's revenue management department

glenmore_saveloy and cauchy like this.
Old May 2, 2024, 11:43 am
formerly wchinchen

Programs: AA CK, UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by crazy8534
To be honest, I find it a somewhat lacklustre incentive at this level..
Potential GGL coming from AA as brand new BA newbie; can you explain more on your thought process why it's a lack luster incentive to go beyond 6k TP? Are Jokers hard to use?
Old May 2, 2024, 12:01 pm

Programs: BA GGL, BA Amex Prem, Amex Plat, Hilton Diamond, Sir Crazy8534 de l'ordres des aides de Pucci
Originally Posted by HaleiwaFlyer
Potential GGL coming from AA as brand new BA newbie; can you explain more on your thought process why it's a lack luster incentive to go beyond 6k TP? Are Jokers hard to use?
Just my personal view:

Once you have retained GGL (at 3k TPs) there is no additional incentive beyond 3.5kTPs (where you get x2 GUF1s) until 6kTPs, where they give you another Joker.
So at that point (3.5k TPs) you have all the benefits of GGL including CCR access (used to only be a benefit when you re-attained 5k TPs), 2 Jokers, a GUF2 and x2 GUF1s.
The GUFs are excellent- they have 12 months of validity which they will extend for another 6 months if unused and they only need to be valid when you book the flight, not when you travel (so can be flown and used at earning date + 18 months + 355 days).
You can book an Avios flight in First class if they have A bucket availability (cheapest First) or upgrade the cheapest CW fare (I bucket) into F.
Jokers can only be used for redemption (Avios) flights and although they have slightly better bucket availability in Club (D and R, not only I) they can't be used if anyone else has used their Joker in that cabin (a big issue for things like F or CW flights to SIN/SYD/HKG).

I occasionally manage to use both Jokers in a year but I can't remember a time where I came to the end of the year and desperately needed another one.
So effectively, there is currently no additional incentive for TPs between 3.5k and 7k, which is a pretty large gap.
Over the past couple of years I have earned between 8k and 9k TPs due to the BAH bonuses (and have taken additional GUFs and Avios at 8k and 9k), and previously I earned 5k TPs and I would do some TP-efficient flying to make sure I retained CCR access.
When the BAH bonus stops I could definitely see myself trying-out other non-OW airlines' F products instead of pushing far beyond 3.5k TPs.

The good news is that we have been promised that there is an additional incentive coming at 5k TPs, but who knows when.
Old May 2, 2024, 12:05 pm

Programs: BA Gold
Can I ask the OP why they're considering spending multiple 1000's on reaching GGL,how much of their travel is paid for by work,why do you need 2 jokers and are they really worth those multiple 1000's , north of 10k?
I mean the concorde room is Nice but is it north of 10k nice ?
The guf's are handy ,Ive 3 this year at 3700 tp's
I'm not bothering spending money on places I don't want to go to,to pick up another 1300
Is it just a shame not to,or what am I missing?
I fly once or twice a month and my tp year end is Aug 8th
Ive enough tp's and the timing right on them to retain Gold to April 26 already at this stage
what am I missing here?
Is this Golditis or goldgueslistitis or concorderoomitis ?
crazy8534 likes this.
Old May 2, 2024, 12:06 pm
formerly wchinchen

Programs: AA CK, UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by crazy8534
Just my personal view:

Once you have retained GGL (at 3k TPs) there is no additional incentive beyond 3.5kTPs (where you get x2 GUF1s) until 6kTPs, where they give you another Joker....
Thank you so much for sharing the true user experiences of how GUF/Jokers work. Never realized Jokers are only redemption per cabin, per flight....Much thanks again.
crazy8534 likes this.
Old May 2, 2024, 12:10 pm

Programs: BA GGL, BA Amex Prem, Amex Plat, Hilton Diamond, Sir Crazy8534 de l'ordres des aides de Pucci
Originally Posted by HaleiwaFlyer
Thank you so much for sharing the true user experiences of how GUF/Jokers work. Never realized Jokers are only redemption per cabin, per flight....Much thanks again.
Sorry I may have mislead- the Joker can apply to up to 5 people on the same trip and will open Avios redemption on all of the BA flights (depending on fare bucket availability).
There are rules to stop you hopping around all over the place but basically you can have connections domestically/to-from Europe plus long-hauls.
In your case you could Joker, for instance, LAX-LHR-HKG return and pay using Avios.

These are the official terms:

4. Gold Guest List Redemption Reward

4.1. A Member shall be eligible for two Gold Guest List Redemption Rewards per Tier Point Collection Year starting on the date that the Member received an invitation to the Gold Guest List and was able to receive the Services. This does not affect Members ability to spend Avios in the usual way under the Executive Club membership Terms and Conditions.

4.2. The Gold Guest List Redemption Rewards shall be subject to flight capacity and availability.

4.3. All passengers must travel on the same booking as the Member.

4.4. Gold Guest List Redemption Rewards must be used before the end of the Tier Point Collection Year in which the benefit was issued. No Gold Guest List Redemption Rewards may be carried over and any unused Gold Guest List Redemption Rewards will be lost if Membership of the Gold Guest List for whatever reason terminates. There is no cash alternative or compensation available if the Member fails to use his/her Gold Guest List Redemption Rewards.

4.5. A Member can use their Gold Guest List Redemption Reward to book one one-way or one return trip, this can include a connecting flight to your onward destination for example Delhi-London-New York-London-Delhi. Stop overs on route to final destination are limited to 14 days. Side trips are not permitted, for example a trip that is not on route to your final destination, for example Delhi-London-New York-London-Rome-London-Delhi, the London-Rome-London would be classed as a side trip. Once the Member has returned to their original point of origin this is classed as one return trip.
HaleiwaFlyer likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.