Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

When does gate door close for BA flight out of WAW?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 26, 2024, 11:01 am
Original Poster

I can't seem to get this information, and I don't feel like the hassle of calling BA. The flight is at 7:25, and the earliest metro+bus I can take will get me to the airport at about 1:25 before the flight, and I will be getting my ticket from the computer kiosk, go through security, then passport control out, but the gate is only a 5 minute walk from the passport desk (if that). I have the option to take an earlier night bus, but I'd rather take the metro as the other ways have me taking unfamiliar transit changes. Thus, the key is when the door closes - which always seems to close early when I need it, but is extended when I'm already on the aircraft. I believe it's 20 minutes.
Old Mar 26, 2024, 11:08 am

Programs: BA GGL / GFL, Mucci Diamond!, HH Diamond, Radisson Premium, IHG Gold, Hertz Gold
Will you have fast track security? I am trying to remember the layout of Chopin but I seem to remember that the last time I was there in the morning, I was very glad to have fast track security.

Then it's quite a walk through to passports where I guess all bets are off. Last time I was there, passports were very quick but that's only a data point of one recent visit post-Brexit new rules.

I doubt that there is an official close time for the flight that BA will confirm to you, but if you have fast track security then 1.25 seems enough time to me based on my last visit.
Old Mar 26, 2024, 11:12 am

Programs: BAEC GGL/CR; Hilton Diamond; Mucci des Puccis
To be honest, Bolt is so cheap in Warsaw, I'd take that rather than faff around on the Metro, but 1h25 at 6am should be plenty to get through security and passport control.
gcuk, TheJayHatch, Cymro and 2 others like this.
Old Mar 26, 2024, 11:18 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, Miles and More(FTL), IHG(Platinum), Accor, HHonors(Diamond), SPG, Hertz Five Star
I usually have plenty of time if i get to WAW at 6am for either the ba or lo flights to lhr.

granted i have fast track, but regular security is not much longer.

on boxing day, got to waw at 6:05 for the 7:35 lot flight. Ba also went at 7:35. Ba was boarding by 7am, lot started boarding at 7:15.

Not sure when doors closed on ba, but the 2 flights were on after the other on the departure runway.

I would not be worried about 1hr 25 minutes.

Officially it will be 20 minutes
Old Mar 26, 2024, 11:19 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by ThatT1Feeling
Will you have fast track security? I am trying to remember the layout of Chopin but I seem to remember that the last time I was there in the morning, I was very glad to have fast track security.

Then it's quite a walk through to passports where I guess all bets are off. Last time I was there, passports were very quick but that's only a data point of one recent visit post-Brexit new rules.

I doubt that there is an official close time for the flight that BA will confirm to you, but if you have fast track security then 1.25 seems enough time to me based on my last visit.
No, I don't have "fast track". I find WAW to be a small enough airport that there isn't much time spent walking.
Old Mar 26, 2024, 11:33 am

I travel from (and connect through) WAW (to SJJ, i.e., non-Schengen) on a regular basis and, even during summer/peak times, I’ve never experienced any significant queues at passport control. There are a number of security points which you can use, an easy stroll would get you to the border/exit checks in less than 10 minutes even if you were to clear security in Strefa A (if your flight was to board at the far end of the non-Schengen “terminal”, it would just add another 5 minutes’ walk once you get through passports). Also, I’m not sure why you would get on the metro as this would most likely add travel time? The nearest metro stop is nowhere close to the airport, you would have to jump on a bus or local train in any case. When departing from WAW, I would normally ensure to be at the airport roughly an hour before my flight (though admittedly the Star Alliance fast track makes things significantly easier).
Old Mar 26, 2024, 11:46 am

Programs: Mucci Chevalier des Internautes Amables; BAEC
Originally Posted by AlicorporateUK
, I’ve never experienced any significant queues at passport control
Normally WAW is pretty quick but if a QR or EK flight is departing it can fundamentally extend passport wait times. I’ve not had more than 15-20 mins save for one ‘excuse me’ moment, but that was probably
more my own planning. Bear in mind passengers aren’t always adept at realising there is more than one gate working, and the border control staff aren’t very proactive in calling forward, preferring to soend their snatched free time watching YouTube.

Last edited by TheJayHatch; Mar 26, 2024 at 3:49 pm
Old Mar 26, 2024, 12:07 pm

Originally Posted by TheJayHatch
Normally WAW is pretty quick but if a QR or EK flight is departing it can fundamentally extend passport wait times.
True. But then, my usual flight leaves just before the DOH (PM) service and the only inconvenience I normally experience is the huge mess around gate 16, with pax impatiently awaiting to board the QR flight, congregating from the “early hours” so to speak. However, as you hint, always better to play it safe.
Old Mar 26, 2024, 12:15 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver, Miles and More(FTL), IHG(Platinum), Accor, HHonors(Diamond), SPG, Hertz Five Star
Originally Posted by AlicorporateUK
I travel from (and connect through) WAW (to SJJ, i.e., non-Schengen) on a regular basis and, even during summer/peak times, I’ve never experienced any significant queues at passport control. There are a number of security points which you can use, an easy stroll would get you to the border/exit checks in less than 10 minutes even if you were to clear security in Strefa A (if your flight was to board at the far end of the non-Schengen “terminal”, it would just add another 5 minutes’ walk once you get through passports). Also, I’m not sure why you would get on the metro as this would most likely add travel time? The nearest metro stop is nowhere close to the airport, you would have to jump on a bus or local train in any case. When departing from WAW, I would normally ensure to be at the airport roughly an hour before my flight (though admittedly the Star Alliance fast track makes things significantly easier).
I believe they need to take the metro to where they can catch a bus to the airport (centrum probably)
DXB2745 likes this.
Old Mar 26, 2024, 12:21 pm

weirdly with my UK passport I do not get stuck in the passport Q even if before some of the bigger intercontinental flights

Maybe if I had an EU passport it would be more of an issue as the vast majority of people getting these flights are EU passport holders

On departure I usually only find 3 or 4 people in front of me at passport control.

Even then though I doubt the EU line is stretching beyond 10 minutes
Old Mar 26, 2024, 12:26 pm
Hilton Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Bonvoy LT Plat, Hilton Gold, GHA Tit, BA Gold, Turkish Elite
If you want to move things along a bit faster, pay for fast track at the kiosk. 1:20 should be fine, but as others have mentioned an Uber is just €12 from town, so you might as well make things easier on yourself.
BA or bust likes this.
Old Mar 26, 2024, 1:04 pm

Originally Posted by scottishpoet
weirdly with my UK passport I do not get stuck in the passport Q even if before some of the bigger intercontinental flights
That’s simply because there’s always a good number of non-eligible pax attempting to use the automated border checks.
Old Mar 27, 2024, 4:50 am

Programs: QF Gold
Originally Posted by swampwiz
I can't seem to get this information, and I don't feel like the hassle of calling BA. The flight is at 7:25, and the earliest metro+bus I can take will get me to the airport at about 1:25 before the flight, and I will be getting my ticket from the computer kiosk, go through security, then passport control out, but the gate is only a 5 minute walk from the passport desk (if that). I have the option to take an earlier night bus, but I'd rather take the metro as the other ways have me taking unfamiliar transit changes. Thus, the key is when the door closes - which always seems to close early when I need it, but is extended when I'm already on the aircraft. I believe it's 20 minutes.
Uber from the centre was 5 or 6 pounds, should be the same or less with early morning lack of traffic.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.