Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Not enough meals in Club Europe ATH-LHR

Search this Thread

Old Mar 26, 2024, 4:03 am

Programs: Mucci. And BA Gold – previous awards - Gold 11, Silver 7, Bronze 4.
PUCCI's point about upgrades is a good one. At first I naively thought they would think about catering before selling upgrades... until remembered that this is BA!

Last edited by BA or bust; Mar 26, 2024 at 4:19 am
Old Mar 26, 2024, 4:08 am

Originally Posted by PUCCI GALORE
Thus the Customer Relations people are swamped,
If only there was a simple solution to this, I dunno, like - employ more staff in an area that is understaffed....?
But that would affect the bottom line of bonuses and profits. Shame that customer satisfaction isn't one of the key bonus metrics.
Old Mar 26, 2024, 4:14 am

Programs: BA Gold, IHG Rewards, BAPP
Not the same thing but relevant in a way.

I was on BA458 last week, a Finnair operated flight LHR-MAD, sitting in CE.
The excellent crew's opening gambit on serving breakfast was "I hope you're ready for an interesting breakfast, we're really sorry". They said there must have been a problem because all they had was spicy prawns and rice or a cold charcuterie plate with a cheese straw. She went on to explain these are the lunches we've been serving this week and they didn't load breakfasts. Funnily enough 2 days later when I flew back to LHR we got the same option for dinner!
Personally I had the prawns both times and thoroughly enjoyed them but there were some pretty unhappy people.
Based on this, I can see why they can run out of food if the storage fails but to load the wrong meals at home base just adds a twist.
As I said, no issue with me but there were complaints.

AQ
BA or bust likes this.
Old Mar 26, 2024, 6:35 am

Programs: BAEC
Originally Posted by pallan12
Had similar situation on same route/flight no. a couple of weeks ago. Cabin crew were frustrated to say the least but did their best to cobble together some different options meaning no one got a "full" breakfast but every one got something. Didn't complain since 1) I got something at least and 2) the crew really tried their best in a tough situation. Yours on the other hand sounds different and unacceptable.
You can and should have complained about the lack of proper catering and, at the same time, include a compliment about the great staff. And, you definitely should complain about the lack of food, otherwise BA will think they can get away with it.
Old Mar 26, 2024, 6:43 am

Programs: Sir Ratechaser Seigneur de la Patience d'un Saint (Mucci), BA Silver, Starbucks Gold
Originally Posted by bafan
You can and should have complained about the lack of proper catering and, at the same time, include a compliment about the great staff. And, you definitely should complain about the lack of food, otherwise BA will think they can get away with it.
With lowball comp like a £10 voucher, and no doubt most people not bothered enough to complain further, BA knows that they most certainly can and do get away with it, every time it happens.
Arctic Troll likes this.
Old Mar 26, 2024, 6:54 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
the £10 voucher is not compensation. the OP is due compensation on top of that.
Old Mar 26, 2024, 6:56 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

They could have delayed the flight to make sure adequate catering for everyne was put on board. I wonder how well that would have gone down?
Old Mar 26, 2024, 7:13 am

Programs: BAEC GGL/CR; Hilton Diamond; Mucci des Puccis
If you get an airport or gate upgrade you’re usually warned about potential non availability of food.
Old Mar 26, 2024, 7:48 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, IHG Spire Ambassador, Hilton Diamond, Starbucks Gold
Originally Posted by deep_south
If only there was a simple solution to this, I dunno, like - employ more staff in an area that is understaffed....?
Best way to stop customer relations staff being swamped is to offer a more consistent improved product. When you don't, deal with it immediately and generously as a customer recovery project.

I know many of us (me included) prefer to fly BA even though they can be dishonest and awful, but I am reminded of what my first manager ever told me: "Look after my customers because the competition would love to do it for you".

Stop giving customers reasons to complain and customer relations staff can start dealing in customer relations.
Old Mar 26, 2024, 7:59 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, EK Skywards (enhanced Blue !), Oman Air Sindbad Gold
Originally Posted by KARFA
the £10 voucher is not compensation. the OP is due compensation on top of that.

Indeed, and therein lies the central issue. The £10 voucher is merely a partial and retrospective remedy of sorts, enabling affected passengers to offset their expenditure on some much-needed refreshment …… refreshment which would have not been necessary had their flight been properly catered.

It’s reasonable to assume that many / most CE passengers would have planned their food intake around the expectation of a full onboard meal, as promised by BA’s own description of the service [“In Club Europe we serve a selection of delicious meals including a full British breakfast, lunch, traditional afternoon tea and dinner”]

The fact that a key element of the advertised product was not provided does merit suitable compensation. Not sure where exactly that compensation should be pitched …… but London Aussie’s written complaint - after a similarly-affected s/h sector - resulted in an evoucher of £100

Originally Posted by bisonrav
If you get an airport or gate upgrade you’re usually warned about potential non availability of food.
True enough. Though in the case of the OP’s unhappy experience, it’s unlikely that 27 of the 48 pax would be late upgrades
bafan likes this.
Old Mar 26, 2024, 8:06 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
The typical offer is somewhere in the 5000-15000 avios range.
Old Mar 26, 2024, 8:10 am

Programs: BAEC GGLfL
Do remember that catering on board is complimentary, so when there is no food you haven't really lost out anything. I think that's been BA's line in the past, but that may have been when The Intern™️ was doing a stint in Customer Relations.
Old Mar 26, 2024, 8:53 am

I ate in an expensive chain restaurant recently - the service was chaotic and the experience was not relaxing. I left a poor review.

The manager got back in touch to apologise, and explain a few things. He also offered free cocktails.

I thanked him, but declined the cocktails. I said my two children had now married Americans, and I disliked what I saw in the USA as a developing "complain to get freebies" culture.

My point about complaining was to highlight service issues - because I wanted to come back!

If I didn't want to comeback, I wouldn't have bothered complaining.
Old Mar 26, 2024, 9:06 am

Programs: QF Gold
Originally Posted by alwaysquestions
Personally I had the prawns both times and thoroughly enjoyed them but there were some pretty unhappy people.\
I think only the british could be upset at not having backed beans for breakfast rather than have a far better lunch/dinner option.
ijgordon likes this.
Old Mar 26, 2024, 9:10 am

Programs: Executive club Gold
Originally Posted by KARFA
The typical offer is somewhere in the 5000-15000 avios range.
This is interesting, my sons just arrived from Amsterdam and had no onboard catering, vouchers given in departures. I didn't realise compensation would be available as the food service is 'complimentary, I'll let him know.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.