Community
Wiki Posts
Search

BA to AA at ATL

Search this Thread

Old Mar 24, 2024, 9:43 am
Original Poster

Programs: MUCCI; BAEC Lifetime Gold; Marriott Bonvoy Emeritus Titanium; Hertz#1, Avis President’s Club
BA to AA at ATL

I'm thinking of flying to MIA via ATL as Avios availability in F is good to ATL. On the outbound I will stay the night in Atlanta because of the late arrival. If I then fly on AA in J on the following day which, if any lounge can I use (I'm BAEC Gold)?

On the return from MIA how easy is the transfer from AA to BA? Is there any chance AA will check my bags through as the domestic leg will be on a different booking?

TIA
Old Mar 24, 2024, 9:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Falkirk, Scotland,VS Red, BA Gold, HH Diamond,UK Amex Plat
Programs: Master of the Privy Purse des Muccis
Hi

You should be able to use the aa lounge.

On the return AA will not tag your bags through to BA on separate tickets so you will need to allow time to collect and recheck them with BA

Regards

Tbs
johnaalex likes this.
Old Mar 24, 2024, 9:55 am

Programs: AA ExPl, DL PM, UA Silver, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium, probably some others
Originally Posted by johnaalex
I'm thinking of flying to MIA via ATL as Avios availability in F is good to ATL. On the outbound I will stay the night in Atlanta because of the late arrival. If I then fly on AA in J on the following day which, if any lounge can I use (I'm BAEC Gold)?

On the return from MIA how easy is the transfer from AA to BA? Is there any chance AA will check my bags through as the domestic leg will be on a different booking?

TIA
You'll be able to access the AA lounge in Atlanta.
johnaalex likes this.
Old Mar 24, 2024, 12:14 pm

Programs: AA EXP
Going out you should be fine, with your flights on separate days. Your return connection through ATL is going to be a bit of a pain though, due to the large distance between the international and domestic terminals. Make sure to leave plenty of time for it.

AA will not check your bags through - they will come out at the domestic terminal. Then, you will need to schlep them to the international terminal on the opposite side of the airfield, where BA checks in. There are shuttle buses between the terminals which come every 15 minutes, and the ride takes about 15 minutes. Then check in at international and go through security.

If there was any way you could make this trip HBO, it would be so much easier. No reclearing security or traipsing around the airfield landside - just walk or take the Plane Train from your AA arrival gate to your BA departure gate.
johnaalex likes this.

Last edited by Kumulani; Mar 24, 2024 at 12:26 pm
Old Mar 25, 2024, 6:42 am

Programs: BAEC Gold! Thanks to FT
Atlanta is a massive airport and in my opinion not the best, American leaves from the T gates where their lounge is. Not the best or worst. Security is a zoo pretty much all the time allow a good 2-3 hours to check in and clear security and get through your gate. US CBP on arrival is my worst experience of arriving in the US ever. I may be mean with that but as I say it’s not the best but your heart sinks when each announcement is would a Russian speaking agent report to booth xxxx all the time.

It’s not Americans policy to through check bags on separate PNRs from Miami but they did for me so no harm in asking but have back up plan which should allow 3 hours min at Atlanta to reclaim bags, transfer to International Terminal check in and clear security.
johnaalex likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.