Wiki Posts
Search

Allowing an extra guest into the lounge

Search this Thread

Old Mar 23, 2024, 8:56 am
Original Poster

Programs: oneworld (Sapphire), Asda Rewards
Question Allowing an extra guest into the lounge

I am oneworld Sapphire, which means I can take a guest into a lounge. I will be travelling with my two (pre-teen) children. How likely is it that the AA/BA/QF/CX lounge dragons in LHR T3 or the AA lounge dragons in YYZ or the Plaza Premium lounge dragons in YYZ (BA contract lounge, AIUI) will turn a blind eye and let both of them in with me? Does the metal v. the lounge operator v. the FF programme make any difference?
Old Mar 23, 2024, 9:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GGL+GfL, ALL Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
It won’t happen at any of those essentially. QF have an exemption for their own members only but I presume this is not your case or you wouldn’t ask. Rules tend to be applied strictly unless there is a really exceptional reason not to which this is not from ba’s point of view. Lots of threads on this question if you want to read about others’ thoughts, experiences etc.
Old Mar 23, 2024, 10:10 am

Programs: BA Gold, Hilton Diamond, IHG Spire
I don’t think it’s a problem to ask politely. T3 BA might do it depending how busy. If it’s Easter or any holiday then most likely not. 3rd party lounges usually don’t do it as they can’t charge BA.
so be polite prepared for a no and have alternative plans. Also we have threads like the BA97 calendar where you can connect to others who might able to guest you in.
Kvarko likes this.
Old Mar 23, 2024, 10:31 am

Programs: BAEC Gold! Thanks to FT
The QF lounge at T3 will let you buy admission for one person for around £50-55 I believe. Sadly, it’s down to discretion elsewhere and I certainly would have plan B if refusals are made.

I’d have thought the plaza premium lounge might take pay walk ins too if not at capacity.
DiamondMile likes this.
Old Mar 23, 2024, 10:40 am

Programs: BA GGL
I was allowed to do it once, at the LGW F lounge. Was travelling with my parents who were with me in CE - so already had access to the J lounge. I think the dragon mostly agreed on the basis that the J lounge was pretty busy that day, so it'd be one less person in there. Or perhaps they were just being nice, who knows!

​​​​​Glad that I can now just officially guest all of them in. I certainly wouldn't rely on it at non-BA lounges, where it remains one guest as a GGL, or at BA lounges if Gold or below. These things happen very occasionally as a gesture of goodwill and can't be relied upon in any way.
​​​​​​

Last edited by flarmip; Mar 23, 2024 at 11:08 am
Old Mar 23, 2024, 11:05 am

As others have said there are lots of threads on this subject but generally the answer is no.

Unfortunately, and I’m certainly not suggesting in your case, but once you do a “just this once” and give any type of leeway/discretion it usually becomes abused and it becomes an expectation for future visits “oh but last time…..” hence the rules are almost 100% applied.

Last edited by DXB2745; Mar 23, 2024 at 11:26 am
Old Mar 23, 2024, 11:10 am

Programs: BAEC
The lounge agents get asked dozens of times a day to make exceptions to the rules. Try waiting by the entrance podium for 10 minutes and see how many times people try it on.
Old Mar 23, 2024, 11:20 am

Programs: BA Gold, Amex UK Plat
Originally Posted by TabTraveller
The lounge agents get asked dozens of times a day to make exceptions to the rules. Try waiting by the entrance podium for 10 minutes and see how many times people try it on.
Yes. I can imagine it gets a bit tiring for them. The only experience I have with being an exception to the rules was when travelling as a gold, with my partner (silver) and two guests at Gatwick. Explained that it was a gold and silver and two guests and they actively offered to allow us into the First lounge - I didn't even bother asking as I predicted the answer would be no. Business lounge did look a bit busy, which may have had an influence.
TabTraveller likes this.
Old Mar 23, 2024, 11:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, EI Silver, HH Gold, BW Gold, ABP, Seigneur des Horaires des Mucci
There is little to no chance of being allowed an extra guest. But QF and AA lounges allow you to pay for entry.
BA or bust, Blenheim and roberto99 like this.
Old Mar 25, 2024, 2:23 am
Original Poster

Programs: oneworld (Sapphire), Asda Rewards
I did look at https://ba97.com/calendar.asp (thanks for the tip-off, Krisz) but almost nothing is green, and what is green is nowhere near when+where I'll be.

I did look into buying a pass at the Plaza Premium in YYZ, but at least online it didn't seem to be possible to buy a pass just for a child.

One of mine suggested I try puppy eyes. Unfortunately when I demonstrated my best puppy eyes she snorted derisively, so I'm going to need to practice.

Oh well, perhaps I should just let them go play among the planes and just enjoy some nice relaxing me time in the lounges! Or maybe I've got no option but to sell them for scientific experiments.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.