Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

BA250 Santiago to Heathrow 22 Mar returns to SCL

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 22, 2024, 3:35 pm
Original Poster

Programs: KLM Plat for Life , BA Gold, HH Silver, (Other half Diamond), IHG Gold

Any ideas why this flight tonight is returning to SCL after 3 hours in flight ? We have 3 friends onboard . Thanks
Old Mar 22, 2024, 4:01 pm
Original Poster

Programs: KLM Plat for Life , BA Gold, HH Silver, (Other half Diamond), IHG Gold
I am wondering if it would be helpful to book a hotel room for them
Old Mar 22, 2024, 4:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci des Hommes Magiques et Magnifiques
They will be taken care of by BA.
lcylocal and simonsmith like this.
Old Mar 22, 2024, 4:11 pm

Programs: Honors Diamond
Originally Posted by simonsmith
I am wondering if it would be helpful to book a hotel room for them
Hopefully someone with a more expert view will be along shortly, but I can’t imagine they are going to be able to have another go for a while as this is one of the longest flights on the network so I would imagine crew hours becomes an issue relatively quickly.
Old Mar 22, 2024, 4:26 pm
Original Poster

Thanks both , they were in the air for nearly 6 hours . If it were medical or technical I would have thought they would have diverted to some where nearer like Sao Paulo , we will have to see .

Last edited by simonsmith; Mar 22, 2024 at 8:48 pm
Old Mar 22, 2024, 4:53 pm

Programs: BAEC Bronze
Thanks both , they were in the air for nearly 6 hours . If it were medical or technical I would have thought they would have diverted to some where nearer like San Paulo , we will have to see .
Depending on the reason for the divert, it may be best to return to station of origin or the nearest BA station which would be best able to provide assistance.

Also, did you mean São Paulo? If yes, then I don’t believe this would have been nearer and likely have been a longer divert.
simonsmith likes this.
Old Mar 22, 2024, 5:24 pm

The divert is showing as due to “WT” - Destination Station Weather. Not sure that’s the correct code being used!

The flight is now on a 0015Z Rewarn. But I expect it will be delayed overnight in SCL due to crew hours.
simonsmith likes this.
Old Mar 22, 2024, 8:01 pm

Divert was indeed due to weather, just enroute WX as oppose to destination WX. Dispatched with one of the two weather radars inoperative and then the other became faulty as the aircraft approached an area of intense cumulonimbus activity. No safe path to continue so airborn return to SCL. Technical defects are the root cause.
Old Mar 22, 2024, 8:47 pm
Original Poster

Thanks all .
According to friends onboard told as Sigwx reports.
Slight delay on departure because of a technical issue then Pilot said the weather system failed 3 hours into the flight .
Landed back in SCL , collected bags , queued for accommodation and bussed to Intercontinental Hotel . In room after about 3.5 hours from landing .
Hopefully they will get some rest .
Old Mar 23, 2024, 6:13 am

Programs: BA GGL
Intercon Santiago is a nice touch; I'd have expected them to be deposited at the Holiday Inn attached to the terminal at SCL.

Thanks all .
According to friends onboard told as Sigwx reports.
Slight delay on departure because of a technical issue then Pilot said the weather system failed 3 hours into the flight .
Landed back in SCL , collected bags , queued for accommodation and bussed to Intercontinental Hotel . In room after about 3.5 hours from landing .
Hopefully they will get some rest .
Old Mar 23, 2024, 6:43 am

Programs: BA Exec Club Gold, *G, EK Skywards Silver
Well done to BA and the ground handler. 3.5hrs to the hotel is extremely good.

Less well done to BA that they are flying aircraft across the network, on this occasion on a 14hr sector, with 1 weather radar inoperative, thus when inevitably, another fails this is the consequence.
Some of the other regulars who are closer to the detail will confirm, but this particular aircraft, BKC, won’t be the only one carrying a similar - allowable - defect.
Old Mar 23, 2024, 7:01 am
Original Poster

Yes I thought 3.5 hours was not bad at all .
The hotel has told them that they have not yet heard from BA about their departure but they are booked in at the hotel until Sunday .
The BA website now says departing today at 1500 but passengers have heard nothing .
Does any one here have any further information ?
Old Mar 23, 2024, 7:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci des Hommes Magiques et Magnifiques
That’s the time it’s showing internally as well.
simonsmith likes this.
Old Mar 23, 2024, 11:05 am
Original Poster

They have had no communication at all from BA and it’s all getting a bit confusing . They have tried ringing BA who have been unable to give them any useful information. The poor hotel reception is the only place that people have to go to to ask .
It was delayed until 1500 today then 2130 and on the app it now says 1500 again but I am not sure if that’s today or tomorrow.
They need to be back by Tuesday as their Dad / Grandfathers funeral is then . Travelling as married couple and adult son .

Last edited by simonsmith; Mar 23, 2024 at 11:13 am
Old Mar 23, 2024, 11:37 am

Programs: BA Exec Club Gold, *G, EK Skywards Silver
I would suspect - and I’m not sticking up for them - but they are trying to secure a replacement weather radar, fit it and then test it. Without doing so, they can’t really set and communicate an ETD.
simonsmith likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.