Community
Wiki Posts
Search

New Zealand with a 2-4-1

Search this Thread

Old Mar 22, 2024, 8:21 am
Original Poster

New Zealand with a 2-4-1

OK I know it's not completely possible but what would be the best use/cheapest way to use a 2-4-1 voucher to get to New Zealand?

I've done it before via the obvious route to Sydney then just paid for a ticket on Air NZ but are there other routes that might make more sense? I'm really not up to date with what is possible.

I'm disabled so can't hang around airports for several hours between flights but have no problem with overnight stops in airport hotels.

Any suggestions as would really like to do one last trip before I get too old and knackered to go that far!
Old Mar 22, 2024, 8:36 am

Programs: BA GGL
There have been a few threads about this recently that might be worth reading:

Advice for route to NZ

BA15 LHR-SYD interline check through to NZ?

BA to Australia/NZ
Karen762 and orbitmic like this.
Old Mar 22, 2024, 8:44 am

Programs: Mucci Chevalier des Internautes Amables; BAEC
Bear in mind SYD 2-4-1 might be challenging to secure the tickets. Worth considering a LAX RTN and buying the pan-Pacific ticket separately.
Karen762 likes this.
Old Mar 22, 2024, 8:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold
If you’re wealthy in the Avios department ignore the 241 and fly on a Qatar reward booked well in advance. Should be around 360k Avios and avoids the Sydney stopover
TheJayHatch and Karen762 like this.
Old Mar 22, 2024, 9:05 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by TheJayHatch
Bear in mind SYD 2-4-1 might be challenging to secure the tickets. Worth considering a LAX RTN and buying the pan-Pacific ticket separately.
Managed to get Sydney 2-4-1 returns in Club three times now but meant we had to wait up till midnight (and 1am once when I got the time difference wrong) but we're usually quite flexible and choose a range of three or four days to fly just in case we miss getting the tickets.
Old Mar 22, 2024, 9:07 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by mikeyfly
If you’re wealthy in the Avios department ignore the 241 and fly on a Qatar reward booked well in advance. Should be around 360k Avios and avoids the Sydney stopover
Not got quite that many Avios (yet) but I really fancy flying somewhere on Qatar so might look into this - thanks!
Old Mar 22, 2024, 9:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by Karen762
Not got quite that many Avios (yet) but I really fancy flying somewhere on Qatar so might look into this - thanks!
Make it happen! I'm off to Melbourne on Wednesday - very good timed flights and great aircraft on Qatar. Very much looking forward to it. Less so for the BA16 on he return, especially as it will have switched back to 789. Fingers crossed for late Qatar reward space !!
Karen762 likes this.
Old Mar 22, 2024, 10:12 am

Remember the companion voucher opens up extra availability. We have a New Zealand trip planned for next month booked last month on a 241 to Sydney.

At the time we booked there was bizarrely Club availability (but only with a companion voucher) on something like 6 days out of a 2 week period in April with more than one day having 6 seats available! We were able to find dates there and back that worked for us so booked a return trip.

Subsequently 2 first class seats opened up on the day we were flying out so we grabbed those for an additional £400 ish and a refund of 5000 avios!

I have also been monitoring Qatar availability and 2 business seats from Sydney appeared on Monday which I grabbed and cancelled the club return as it’s around £400 cheaper but is more Avios.

So now we are now flying out first class with BA to Sydney, back business with Qatar for a total cost of approx £1500 and 320,000 Avios. Obviously that only gets us far as Sydney but have booked separate flights to NZ and am extremely happy and more than a little excited!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.