Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Was this safe? Was it legal? [empty exit row seats]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Was this safe? Was it legal? [empty exit row seats]

Search this Thread

Old Mar 22, 2024, 10:52 am

the doors open themselves on a boeing!
the810 and flarmip like this.
Old Mar 22, 2024, 10:59 am

There is no requirement to have anyone seated in the exit rows for a US airline. In fact there is no requirement to have a flight attendant or passenger near a main exit door if it has a slide that auto deploys. I doubt the UK is different.
PLeblond likes this.
Old Mar 22, 2024, 11:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci des Hommes Magiques et Magnifiques
Well you doubt wrongly, self exit rows must have a crew member or passenger seated in the row and that is both sides of the aisle, main exits must have a least one crew member seated next to it or in most cases both doors.
Old Mar 22, 2024, 11:17 am

If the passenger load is low and the centre section of the cabin has not been allocated due to aircraft trim requirements or the seat has been blocked due to technical defects, it is not necessary to move passengers to comply with this restriction.

This should have been long worked out (by accessing the PIL) before the aircraft pushed back as the over wing exit briefing needs to be completed before the aircraft pushes.
Old Mar 22, 2024, 11:49 am
Formerly known as tireman77

As stated above, I am not aware of a need to have a passenger 'manning' an exit row. I'm also Canadian so it may a regional rule.

As a matter of logic, I would think that having untrained passengers 'manning' an exit row increases the risk of failure in case of an emergency. As the Navy Seals say: "Under pressure, you don't rise to the occasion, you sink to your level of training."

I would think that order of preference for opening an emergency exit would be:
  1. Crew
  2. A competent passenger
  3. The other 95% of the flying public of age.
Judging from all the idiots who try and get their carry-on in an emergency, I don't trust many people sitting in those rows.
DiamondMile likes this.
Old Mar 22, 2024, 11:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci des Hommes Magiques et Magnifiques
When we are speak about exit rows being manned we mean the self exit rows, the CAA require a crew member or passenger to be seated in each row on both aisles, other countries may not be as strict.
Old Mar 22, 2024, 12:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K;BA Silver;AA G;HH Dia;HY Glob
Originally Posted by Jeff767
There is no requirement to have anyone seated in the exit rows for a US airline. In fact there is no requirement to have a flight attendant or passenger near a main exit door if it has a slide that auto deploys. I doubt the UK is different.
Well, the UK is different.
See this post where I linked the UK CAA "should be seated" requirement:
​​​​​​https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/35222298-post1054.html
Old Mar 22, 2024, 12:52 pm

Originally Posted by jerry a. laska
Well, the UK is different.
See this post where I linked the UK CAA "should be seated" requirement:
​​​​​​https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/35222298-post1054.html
"should"?

Doesn't that mean 'not obligatory'?
Old Mar 22, 2024, 2:14 pm

Programs: Many. Too many. I came here to cut them down. I failed.
Can I ask why this is not picked up by BA computer systems and passengers allocated accordingly at check in to ensure exits are filled to ensure compliance?

Why would it allow the extra pressure to be applied to cabin crew preparing for take off? It is merely because until the last minute the seats are not filled in the hope that someone will pay the additional money?
Old Mar 22, 2024, 2:54 pm

Programs: BA Executive Club Blue
Originally Posted by PLeblond
"should"?

Doesn't that mean 'not obligatory'?
If the aircraft is very lightly loaded and moving passengers would affect trim then it is permissible to leave over wing exit rows unoccupied.
Old Mar 22, 2024, 9:42 pm

I live in the US where this isn't a requirement, but I wouldn't always be willing to move to the exit row. I think I would struggle to lift the plug on some aircraft that have the plug-type exit doors (too heavy). So would I be in violation of crew commands?

Last edited by cruser1; Mar 22, 2024 at 11:57 pm
Old Mar 22, 2024, 10:22 pm

Programs: BA bronze, Aeroplan peon
Originally Posted by cruser1
I think I would struggle to lift the plug on some aircraft that have the plug-type exit doors. So would I be in violation of crew commands?
Not if you're not able bodied enough to fulfill the role. A requirement to sit in an exit row is you have to be able to open the door if needed.
Can I help you likes this.
Old Mar 23, 2024, 3:30 pm

I’ve been asked to move into an exit row on an SAS flight, so it’s not just a UK thing. I was very happy to have the extra room. They charged extra for these rows and work insists on booking us the cheapest seats, so I couldn’t sit there otherwise.

Rules aside, I can’t see what the big deal is with standing up while taxiing. It’s perfectly normal on buses and trains, and I’ve experienced sharper stops and turns on those than on taxiing aircraft.

Pete
Old Mar 23, 2024, 3:48 pm
Hilton Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Bonvoy LT Plat, Hilton Gold, GHA Tit, BA Gold, Turkish Elite
Originally Posted by Pete24601
I’ve been asked to move into an exit row on an SAS flight, so it’s not just a UK thing. I was very happy to have the extra room. They charged extra for these rows and work insists on booking us the cheapest seats, so I couldn’t sit there otherwise.

Rules aside, I can’t see what the big deal is with standing up while taxiing. It’s perfectly normal on buses and trains, and I’ve experienced sharper stops and turns on those than on taxiing aircraft.

Pete
The thing with buses and trains is that they rarely take off after some time on the ground. When they do, sitting down doesn't do much for you anyways.
Old Mar 23, 2024, 4:29 pm

Originally Posted by EuropeanPete
The thing with buses and trains is that they rarely take off after some time on the ground. When they do, sitting down doesn't do much for you anyways.
Pete24601 specified while taxiing. Not during take off nor in certain portions of flight. As flight attendants do throughout most of the taxi.

I suspect the rule is in place to avoid having corral people to their seats before take off. Strapping everyone in at push back saves time later.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.