Community
Wiki Posts
Search

I’m a security risk - BA quiz

Search this Thread

Old Mar 22, 2024, 7:14 am

Programs: BAEC
Originally Posted by Schultzois
I can’t see which ones I got right and wrong, though… where are people seeing that part of the puzzle.
Correct answer gets a tick in that answer's box. Incorrect and you get an 'x' and the correct answer is ticked.
Old Mar 22, 2024, 8:18 am

Programs: AA Exec Platinum/MM, DL Gold/MM, Hilton Diamond, Accor Platinum, Hertz Presidents Circle
8/9. The nail clipper question got me. Everything else was pretty obvious.
Old Mar 22, 2024, 1:05 pm

Programs: UA silver; Wyndham platinum; OneKey platinum; Choice Gold
7 but only because I read through this thread first (I'd have guessed MAN too)! I was still wrong about the wedding dress and 4cm for the scissors.

I don't think it's a bad test at all. There's a lot of things that aren't obvious to many people IMO. I don't think it would cross my mind that I might have a problem at security if my laptop dies on me while on holiday and I try to take it through security in my hand luggage when I fly back home. I've been nailed by security for having something I thought was a solid but security thought was a liquid in my carry-on.

Another interesting test, if someone wanted to create one, would be how the rules are different depending on the airport or country. Last week, at IAD, I got shouted at by TSA in the TSA-pre queue because I had put my liquids in a clear plastic bag. The TSA guy then piled my jacket and carry-on on top of my computer in the same tray remarking that this is the correct way to do it.
Old Mar 22, 2024, 1:42 pm

Programs: airlines and hotels and rental cars - oh my!
I don't live in the UK so I have no way of knowing which airports have the longest security delays, nor does that have anything to so with my ability to pack and present properly. 7/9, which by disallowing that silly question I will rate as 7/8. Missed the nail clipper one otherwise.
Old Mar 22, 2024, 2:05 pm

How do they verify the liquid is in fact breast milk, if an infant is not required?
BA or bust likes this.
Old Mar 23, 2024, 4:49 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by TheRealBabushka
How do they verify the liquid is in fact breast milk, if an infant is not required?
I think that they really don’t care what the liquid is provided the scanner does not detect certain chemicals within it. You would just as easily get away with giraffe milk without the corresponding giraffe being present.

I have always wondered what the precise viscosity of a substance has to be for it no longer to be classified as a liquid.
Old Mar 23, 2024, 7:46 pm

Originally Posted by kanderson1965
I have always wondered what the precise viscosity of a substance has to be for it no longer to be classified as a liquid.
Somebody relatively high-up in Manchester Airport Operations (make of that what you will!) told me last year that if something cannot hold its shape if the container is removed then it’s a liquid.

So lipsticks no but mascara yes.
Old Mar 23, 2024, 7:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: **Mucci Diamond Hairbrush** - compared to that nothing else matters (+BA Bronze)
Originally Posted by DeathSlam
Also 5 but I would dispute one of them
If that’s the which item must be out of the hand luggage then I agree.
Old Mar 23, 2024, 11:34 pm

Programs: BA Gold, Hilton Diamond
Damn next time I'm flying to anywhere with CoffeeMate in the hotel room I'm going to take some proper milk to pass off as bitty.

Old Mar 24, 2024, 4:59 am

Programs: BA Gold, *A Gold, IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by worldtrav
Having to remove liquids from bags seems very archaic to me.
Don't go to Gatwick then... They insist EVERYONE has to take their shoes off. Didn't realise Gatwick was now in the USA...

There was also a few other differences compared to Heathrow too. My one irritation is the lack of consistency in the rules. If it's all for security, surely everyone should be singing from the same hymn sheet?
Old Mar 24, 2024, 5:31 am

Programs: M&S Elite+
Originally Posted by Jimbojumbo
Somebody relatively high-up in Manchester Airport Operations (make of that what you will!) told me last year that if something cannot hold its shape if the container is removed then it’s a liquid.

So lipsticks no but mascara yes.
A lot of people would be liquids using that definition.
Jimbojumbo likes this.
Old Mar 24, 2024, 5:46 am

Programs: BAEC GFL (Only took 30 years)
Originally Posted by davidcamp6
And next months quiz is all about why your passport doesn't work at the e-gates
Mrs M. thinks mine doesn't work because I look like a potato.
Old Mar 24, 2024, 2:07 pm

Programs: VS Silver; Matmid Silver, BA Bronze; Accor Plat.
Originally Posted by Midships
Mrs M. thinks mine doesn't work because I look like a potato.
Change your name from Midships to Mr Chips
Old Mar 25, 2024, 5:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, EI Silver, HH Gold, BW Gold, ABP, Seigneur des Horaires des Mucci
Originally Posted by jwhite9185
Don't go to Gatwick then... They insist EVERYONE has to take their shoes off. Didn't realise Gatwick was now in the USA...

There was also a few other differences compared to Heathrow too. My one irritation is the lack of consistency in the rules. If it's all for security, surely everyone should be singing from the same hymn sheet?
My experience at Gatwick is that signage instructs people to take their shoes off, but the security staff don't care about normal shoes. They will still instruct heels/boots to be taken off.

The perceived "lack of consistency" is intentional, to make the standards and checks unpredictable which (it is said) will make them harder to circumvent.
Old Mar 25, 2024, 8:05 am

Programs: BAEC GFL (Only took 30 years)
Originally Posted by davidcamp6
Change your name from Midships to Mr Chips
Thanks - first out loud laugh of the day.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.