Wiki Posts
Search

BA Holidays: HOW MUCH?!?!?!?!

Search this Thread

Old Mar 21, 2024, 7:23 am
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC Gold, IHG Silver, HHonors Gold
BA Holidays: HOW MUCH?!?!?!?!

Was just looking at a trip to Vegas for the archery next year on BA Hols, just to see if it was cheaper than the way I was going to do it.

Have a special rate at Paris, and am going to use a mix of VS & DL for the flights to US (on KL and AF if I can) so it was never going to be cheaper, but this recommended hotel offer beggars belief! Can do the whole thing for about £2k!

How does this even come up?. Especially on the recommended page!
Old Mar 21, 2024, 7:26 am

Programs: BAEC
Originally Posted by SpurMan
Was just looking at a trip to Vegas for the archery next year on BA Hols, just to see if it was cheaper than the way I was going to do it.

Have a special rate at Paris, and am going to use a mix of VS & DL for the flights to US (on KL and AF if I can) so it was never going to be cheaper, but this recommended hotel offer beggars belief! Can do the whole thing for about £2k!

£2,845 saving isn’t to be sniffed at though
Old Mar 21, 2024, 7:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold
Don't imagine any cheap rates are loaded yet at the 355ish mark.

You'll likely get an exEU to LAX for around £1200 per person and a cheap hop...
becks1 likes this.
Old Mar 21, 2024, 7:30 am

Programs: Sir Ratechaser Seigneur de la Patience d'un Saint (Mucci), BA Silver, Starbucks Gold
I'm sure you'll win it all back...
Old Mar 21, 2024, 7:54 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by mikeyfly
Don't imagine any cheap rates are loaded yet at the 355ish mark.

You'll likely get an exEU to LAX for around £1200 per person and a cheap hop...
Actually, the flights were about what i'd expect at about £2600 ex LHR. And other hotels were around £900 on top. Was just this one as the recommended hotel which was ridiculous!.
becks1 likes this.
Old Mar 21, 2024, 7:58 am

Programs: BAEC Silver
Actually, the flights were about what i'd expect at about £2600 ex LHR. And other hotels were around £900 on top. Was just this one as the recommended hotel which was ridiculous!.
Might be a bug? I've seen it before, weirdly with Vegas. Got a $66,000 quote on there once when everything else was priced normally.
Robert279 and becks1 like this.
Old Mar 21, 2024, 8:00 am
Fairmont Contributor Badge

Programs: BAEC
There were a load of hotel prices like this towards the end of the pandemic. My assumption is that it's a dummy rate that has been put in because no availability has actually been released.
At one point I was seeing this sort of thing for most of the hotels in Barbados and was wondering whether I had missed the memo and hotel prices had really gone up 10x because of the pandemic.
It turns out they had gone up, but only by 2x not 10x when the real availability kicked in.

Since this appears to be a common thing I wonder how many times people book this sort of thing by accident and how they recover it.
There are probably places to stay in Las Vegas where that would be an accurate Rack rate for the suites. So it is possible that it might not even be an obvious mistake! And BAH hotels are not refundable as a rule.
Could be an expensive click.
KeaneJohn likes this.
Old Mar 21, 2024, 8:11 am

You can reserve it from 60gbp though if you need time to make space on your credit card.
Old Mar 21, 2024, 8:12 am

Programs: BAEC Gold! Thanks to FT
I’ve been told it’s usually because the contract rates haven’t been loaded yet due to allocation being full or rates simply not there. Agents can check on the spot and can correctly reprice it for you if it’s available or tell you it’s not and choose another or wait.
DeathSlam likes this.
Old Mar 21, 2024, 8:16 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Freddorick
You can reserve it from 60gbp though if you need time to make space on your credit card.
The reservation minimum was £4250

I'll be happy saving myself £30 odd K and staying at Paris anyway, since that's where the tournament I'm going for is.... Might spend a tiny fraction on dinner one night at Gordon Ramsey's Steak
marconess and BA or bust like this.
Old Mar 21, 2024, 8:26 am

Programs: Skywards Gold, Amex Plat, SkyTeam Silver
The reservation minimum was £4250

I'll be happy saving myself £30 odd K and staying at Paris anyway, since that's where the tournament I'm going for is.... Might spend a tiny fraction on dinner one night at Gordon Ramsey's Steak
Paris has a much better location than Sahara, anyway. Particulary if the event you have is midstrip. Stayed there with Tower views and was great. Check-in was appauling, mobile check in all the way.
SpurMan likes this.
Old Mar 21, 2024, 9:28 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by marconess
Paris has a much better location than Sahara, anyway. Particulary if the event you have is midstrip. Stayed there with Tower views and was great. Check-in was appauling, mobile check in all the way.
Thanks for the tip. Will make sure I check in on mobile. The tournament (The Vegas Shoot) is hosted in Paris and the Horseshoe . First year there after being at SouthPoint for the last 10 years, and there will probably be around 6000-8000 of us turn up acoss the 4 host hotels, so mobile checkin will deffo be the way to go, assuming that's not also overloaded by the sheer number of archers checking in....
Old Mar 21, 2024, 10:21 am

Programs: BA Gold for Life
Hopefully, hitting the airfare bullseye is still to come. Seriously, BA rarely offer their best fares initially.
Old Mar 21, 2024, 12:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold/OWE, several MUCCI, and assorted Pensions!
IME BA Hols often throws up ludicrous quotes ... just ignore and wait a few days until the hamster has spun the wheel a few more times.
BA or bust likes this.
Old Mar 21, 2024, 12:22 pm

Originally Posted by DeathSlam
Since this appears to be a common thing I wonder how many times people book this sort of thing by accident and how they recover it.
There are probably places to stay in Las Vegas where that would be an accurate Rack rate for the suites. So it is possible that it might not even be an obvious mistake! And BAH hotels are not refundable as a rule.
Could be an expensive click.
Why should they ‘recover it’? No one is going to book a 30k hotel by accident. Either they think the price is acceptable and book it on that basis - in which case what’s the problem - or they think it’s overpriced and therefore shouldn’t book it.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.