Search

Taxes refund on cancelled avios booking

Search this Thread

Old Mar 20, 2024, 7:14 am
formerly fdemoulin
Original Poster

Programs: SPG Lifetime Platinum, BA Silver, Virgin Flying Club Red
Taxes refund on cancelled avios booking

Hi hope someone can help me. We recently had to cancel a 2-4-1 avios booking london singapore. As I understand it I am due the taxes back less the £35 per pax cancellation fee. This was done over a month ago received both avios and Amex voucher back promptly. I had to make the cancellation over the phone. When I initially did this via Indian call centre was told that I would get no money back, I corrected her and just assumed the taxes would be refunded. Spoke ( again to Indian call centre who told me I would receive a timeline when taxes would reappear as a credit on my Amex. Of course I never received any reply! I then spoke to someone in what sounded like the uk office who told me taxes were refunded on 13 February to my Amex. I told him I never received them so he advised me to call Amex and check with them which I did. Am now on hold to call centre who said nothing is due, surely this is not right and it appears each agent I speak to gives me a different story. Has anyone else experienced a similar situation? And can someone confirm I am due the taxes for this booking. Thanks
​​​​​​
Old Mar 20, 2024, 7:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold
You're due all fees & taxes back less £35.00 per person. Would be £70.00 per person if booked as two separate bookings / PNRs
Old Mar 20, 2024, 7:25 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
normal reward bookings are all refundable if cancelled more than 24 hours before the first flight, everything is refundable minus the cancellation fee. and to add this hasn't changed for many many years - so i have no idea why agents are confused.
BA or bust likes this.
Old Mar 20, 2024, 10:56 am
formerly fdemoulin
Original Poster

Thanks for the replies, it seems that whenever I get through to the Indian call centre I get told you aren’t entitled to any monetary refund but when I speak to a uk based agent I am told a refund was processed over a month ago but not showing in my account. Ugh I wish BA would get their act together. I did send an email complaint but doubt I will get a reply and no point in calling as I only seem to get the Indian call centre ( lovely that they are) just seems unfair I can’t get these considerable taxes back
Old Mar 20, 2024, 11:08 am

Programs: BAEC GGL/GFl, HH Diamond, BW Diamond, Virgin Voyages Deep Blue Extra, Blue Peter Badge Holder
Personally. I would just out in for a small claims court claim/MCOL at this point. It is pretty straight forward and easy to do. CEDR will lengthen your wait but is an alternative.
Old Mar 26, 2024, 7:17 am
formerly fdemoulin
Original Poster

May have to resort to this but the problem I have is that BA are claiming they refunded the taxes on February 13 ( to my Amex card) but this has not been received.
Old Mar 26, 2024, 7:56 am

Programs: BAEC Bronze, Mucci recipient
Have you tried speaking to Amex? If BA claims it was refunded to the card on 13 Feb then Amex surely should have seen it.

Amex should be able to help initiate a charge back for the amount due (after deducting the appropriate £35 per passenger fee)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.