Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Airports with new (computer tomography (CT)) scanners?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 20, 2024, 6:07 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Gold

Whilst having the new scanners at LHR will (hopefully) speed up security checks the big bonus for me is the scrapping of the 100ml liquid rule when travelling with just hand luggage. However, if returning through an airport that still has the old scanners then the liquid rule change will not be of much help.

Is there a database/resource listing which airports have the new scanners (and where the 100ml liquid rule no longer applies)? If not, perhaps one of the administrators could create a thread where forum members can ask the question for specific airports?
Old Mar 20, 2024, 6:26 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
I think it's one of those areas where it will look radically different in under a year so any global database is going to be wrong very quickly. CT scanners are appearing in all sorts of unlikely places like Belgrade, Southend and Shannon, airports in the USA are rushing them through too. Moreover CT scanners and liquid rules are actually separate outside the UK, so some places may introduce CT scanners and still have some restrictions on liquid containers. Realistically we have to work on the existing rules for about another 12 months or so, then things should be quite different.

Incidentally, we all need to hum "Love Me Do" by The Beatles when we use a CT scanner: this song broke The Beatles in the USA and led to EMI having so much cash they didn't know what to do with it, other than face a huge tax bill. They funded projects in all sorts of areas quickly, before the end of the tax year, one such project led to EMI investing in an engineer's hunch as to how CT could be used for scanning objects.
Old Mar 20, 2024, 6:31 am
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold. GGL/CCR.
ABZ has the new scanners. Used them today. Marvelous. Thanks EMI.
Old Mar 20, 2024, 6:39 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
I think it's one of those areas where it will look radically different in under a year so any global database is going to be wrong very quickly. CT scanners are appearing in all sorts of unlikely places like Belgrade, Southend and Shannon, airports in the USA are rushing them through too. Moreover CT scanners and liquid rules are actually separate outside the UK, so some places may introduce CT scanners and still have some restrictions on liquid containers. Realistically we have to work on the existing rules for about another 12 months or so, then things should be quite different.
Thanks. Appreciate that things are changing rapidly, maybe we can use this thread to ask the question? Anyone been to DOH and/or HAN recently, does the 100ml rules apply?
Old Mar 20, 2024, 6:45 am
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold. GGL/CCR.
Originally Posted by ademanuele
Anyone been to DOH ... does the 100ml rules apply?
I was there last week and the old machines were still in place.
ademanuele likes this.
Old Mar 20, 2024, 7:48 am

Programs: Mucci, BAEC, Eurostar
Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
Incidentally, we all need to hum "Love Me Do" by The Beatles when we use a CT scanner: this song broke The Beatles in the USA and led to EMI having so much cash they didn't know what to do with it, other than face a huge tax bill. They funded projects in all sorts of areas quickly, before the end of the tax year, one such project led to EMI investing in an engineer's hunch as to how CT could be used for scanning objects.
I tend to hum a fab four song eight days a week, and actually back in USSR was top of that list whenever the BOAC livery appeared at LHR, but I thought the link was quite tenuous.

The first result on Google seems to point to the same conclusion, that although Godfrey Hounsfield and his team were EMI employees (and that cost shouldn't be ignored), EMI contributed less than 15% of the research grant, and the DHSS was the main funding power, ergo British taxpayers. Now, the Beatles would have been significant contributors to that taxpaying effort (thanks to the Rt. Hon members Wilson and Heath, cf the start of Revolver ) so maybe you're right after all!
Old Mar 20, 2024, 9:39 am

Programs: BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by golfmad
I was there last week and the old machines were still in place.
They seem to have new scanners near the C gates, at least nothing needs to be taken out from bags anymore.
Old Mar 20, 2024, 1:58 pm

Programs: M&S Elite+
IST has them in some of the fast track lanes. And FWIW they have them in Kigali too!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.