Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Anybody used a miles broker before ?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 18, 2024, 11:43 am
Original Poster

Anybody used a miles broker before ?

Looking to sell my avios, saw some miles brokers before but not sure if they are legit. They are asking for my user... which im not sure I'm comfortable giving that and would rather just transfer the points. Just wondering if anyone here has ever used a miles broker before and if they were legit. Thanks
Old Mar 18, 2024, 11:45 am

Programs: BAEC
Originally Posted by rnavuc
Looking to sell my avios, saw some miles brokers before but not sure if they are legit. They are asking for my user... which im not sure I'm comfortable giving that and would rather just transfer the points. Just wondering if anyone here has ever used a miles broker before and if they were legit. Thanks
They aren’t legit as selling your miles is a breach of the terms you agreed to when you entered into a contract with BAEC. If caught then you are likely to have your BAEC account cancelled permanently.
Old Mar 18, 2024, 12:18 pm
Moderator: Qatar Airways

Programs: BAEC GfL & GGL, SQ Gold, Amex Centurion, Mucci des Chevaliers des Bons Mots et Qui Savent Moucher
In the US, you can transfer Amex points to BA without any limit and to any BAEC number you wish. I have used someone for this before, to purchase, and it all went very smoothly - and I've since recommended this person to others, and they've been happy.

In terms of moving them OUT of your BAEC account though, I'm not sure how you can bypass without a fee - and you'll obviously be against the T&Cs.

M
Old Mar 18, 2024, 12:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by msm2000uk

In terms of moving them OUT of your BAEC account though, I'm not sure how you can bypass without a fee - and you'll obviously be against the T&Cs.

M
By giving the broker access to your account and allowing them to book a ticket for another person?
Old Mar 18, 2024, 12:31 pm
Original Poster

Yeh that's what they do, I'm just not comfortable giving them my account info.
Old Mar 18, 2024, 12:32 pm
Original Poster

Yeh I guess it might be but there is no way to prove it from BA's perspective. They have the transfer system in place for a reason
Old Mar 18, 2024, 12:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: HH Diamond, Marriott Gold, IHG Gold, Hyatt something
I’ve seen so many sob stories attached to people selling miles. Unless you are liquidating an account totally, it’s rarely a good idea. Especially giving them access to your account. Better to help out friends and family wanting to travel.
Markie, izzik, BA or bust and 3 others like this.
Old Mar 18, 2024, 12:37 pm
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Yeh that's what they do, I'm just not comfortable giving them my account info.
putting aside the issue of it being against the terms of the exec club, you absolutely shouldn’t be giving your details out.

also bear in mind ba do monitor accounts for fraudulent activity, and do freeze them pending and audit. Activity outside your norm is more likely to prompt that, such as a number of reward bookings for random flights all over the place where you aren’t a passenger.
Old Mar 18, 2024, 12:49 pm
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold. GGL/CCR.
The OP raises a legitimate question which is fine for discussion. However, FlyerTalk is not a marketplace and nothing may be offered for sale or barter.

golfmad
Moderator: BAEC Forum
craigthemif, ttama and Paren like this.

Last edited by golfmad; Mar 18, 2024 at 2:45 pm
Old Mar 18, 2024, 3:18 pm

Originally Posted by golfmad
The OP raises a legitimate question which is fine for discussion. However, FlyerTalk is not a marketplace and nothing may be offered for sale or barter.

golfmad
Moderator: BAEC Forum
Having perused the Coupon Connection thread a few times, is "bartering" truly prohibited? While it is clear that cash transactions are a no-no and there are other caveats, there do seem to be options for FT users to swap travel products between consenting adults. I do see Avios as occasional trade fodder. Not necessarily what OP had in mind I suspect.
Old Mar 18, 2024, 3:39 pm

Programs: BA Silver
Yeh I guess it might be but there is no way to prove it from BA's perspective.
Well maybe not prove - but BA can and do collect enough data to have a strong suspicion that someone is breaching their conditions, and they don't hesitate to freeze or totally close accounts in such cases.
BA or bust and LETTERBOY like this.
Old Mar 18, 2024, 4:47 pm

Programs: OWS - AA Lifetime Platinum, BA nobody (blue)
I think the honest answer is Sainsbury's.
Old Mar 18, 2024, 4:56 pm

What you want to do is against the rules, if you get caught your account gets closed and your miles go, are you willing to live with that outcome, plus it is inherently dishonest and those dealing in dishonest activities I.e. the broker probably arent really the best of sorts to be giving access to your information and finally you would be surprised by how people get caught doing this sort of stuff we know because there are so many different posts on the topic
BA or bust and boss315 like this.
Old Mar 18, 2024, 5:29 pm
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by xooz
Having perused the Coupon Connection thread a few times, is "bartering" truly prohibited? While it is clear that cash transactions are a no-no and there are other caveats, there do seem to be options for FT users to swap travel products between consenting adults. I do see Avios as occasional trade fodder. Not necessarily what OP had in mind I suspect.
yes it is

https://www.britishairways.com/en-gb...and-conditions

22.1. Except as otherwise provided by British Airways and AGL and communicated to the Member, Avios points are not transferable (whether from person to person, account to account, statement to statement, card to card or otherwise) other than in accordance with the Conditions of Use and cannot be bequeathed, devised or otherwise transferred by operation of law.

22.2. Any purported purchase, sale, transfer, unauthorised use (including bartering), procurement or redemption of Avios points issued or awarded to another person or any other use of Avios points contrary to these Terms and Conditions will constitute a fundamental breach by the Member of these Terms and Conditions and the Conditions of Use.
xooz, BA or bust and boss315 like this.
Old Mar 18, 2024, 5:43 pm

Programs: Sir Ratechaser Seigneur de la Patience d'un Saint (Mucci), BA Silver, Starbucks Gold
Originally Posted by KARFA
It is a valid question though - I have no doubt that many 'coupons' (using the term widely as per that board) that are exchanged are strictly non-transferable according to their own rules, so why in principle should there be a board facilitating their trade, but not one for Avios?

This is to be fair a devils advocate question (a slightly more cerebral term for sh@t-stirring ), and I would never suggest using a miles broker was sensible, appropriate or whatever...
xooz and BA or bust like this.

Last edited by ratechaser; Mar 18, 2024 at 5:57 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.