Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Booked on BA, but MH won't cater?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 18, 2024, 7:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA
While I disagree with the point the OP is trying to make, for those of you questioning the requirement of a vegan diet, it doesn't matter why the OP's wife needs it. Once someone goes vegan (or any other special diet), giving them a food product their body is no longer used to could cause major issues. So while the initial decision to go vegan may be a preference, no one should assume that it isn't a requirement for them to continue to eat vegan.

As to the issue with meal requests (among other things like seat preference) transferring to other airlines, I can only imagine the logistical hassles. Let's just look at AA and BA, the two closest partners. Both on completely different systems. For any requests you have to get the other airline's PNR and log into their website for everything from seat choice to meal choice, and it's all bound by that airline's policy. Imagine the frustration from BA customers if AA customers could get free seat selection on BA while people who purchased through BA couldn't. Or for an AA customer, if AA was required to provide a full meal on a short flight for someone who booked through BA, while AA customers only get a choice from a snack basket, if they are lucky.
Old Mar 18, 2024, 7:29 am

I get that you are frustrated but it isn’t a very long flight, I find that international travel is far more enjoyable when I don’t let minor inconveniences upset me.
Old Mar 18, 2024, 7:44 am

Programs: Mucci. And BA Gold – previous awards - Gold 11, Silver 7, Bronze 4.
Originally Posted by BAGoldGermany
Hello, long time Reader here, now my first Post.
Welcome to FT.
orbitmic likes this.
Old Mar 18, 2024, 8:15 am
Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Welcome to Flyertalk and the BA Forum BAGoldGermany, this place is a fantastic resource for BA/OW fliers and I hope you find it useful. The main BA Forum Dashboard is full of golden nuggets so to speak and worth a read on many a topic.

BA Forum Dashboard

You're only allowed 5 posts on your first day for info. Sometimes the Moderators will combine your initial posts but if not then there's always tomorrow and every day/whenever thereafter to post as much as you like!

Pete
HIDDY, orbitmic and wrp96 like this.
Old Mar 18, 2024, 10:15 am

Programs: BAEC, QRPC, Amex MR, World of Hyatt, IHG one rewards, Hilton Honors, Marriott Bonvoy, etc…
There was a case reported by a fellow FT on the JAL forum that was also picked up by the UK mainstream media at the time which makes for a nice case study:

Vegan option on JAL
PLeblond likes this.
Old Mar 18, 2024, 10:38 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, UA Mileage Plus, Hotels.com Gold, Marriott Bonvoy Platinum, Pizza Express Gold
Originally Posted by wrp96
While I disagree with the point the OP is trying to make, for those of you questioning the requirement of a vegan diet, it doesn't matter why the OP's wife needs it. Once someone goes vegan (or any other special diet), giving them a food product their body is no longer used to could cause major issues. So while the initial decision to go vegan may be a preference, no one should assume that it isn't a requirement for them to continue to eat vegan.
While medical school was a while back for me, and I'm not working as a gastroenterologist/GP/relevant specialty, I've never heard of complications from moving from a vegan to a normal diet. I'm pretty confident that vegans can eat a bacon sandwich/steak/burger if they want to without worrying about some kind of re-meating syndrome.
Old Mar 18, 2024, 10:51 am

Programs: Mucci, BA Bronze, Hilton Gold
I'm actually amazed that an airline like MH doesn't offer vegan meals. It's 2024.
​​​​​​
So I share the OPs shock.
Old Mar 18, 2024, 11:28 am

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold, EY Plat, etc
Originally Posted by Sealink
I'm actually amazed that an airline like MH doesn't offer vegan meals. It's 2024.
​​​​​​
Well I presume it doesn't drive revenue for them. I think the point was made earlier about the AA snack basket in First class even when booked under a BA Business Class Codeshare. Please can we just accept that it is fine for other airlines in other countries and cultures to offer what works for them in their local market and leave it at that. You can look up the service for each individual flight on the carriers website. None of this is BA's problem.
LETTERBOY, the810, wrp96 and 3 others like this.
Old Mar 18, 2024, 11:36 am
Original Poster

I pity all who wasted their time defending an airline for not catering for a common dietary requirement 😂
Old Mar 18, 2024, 11:57 am

Programs: AA ExPlat, United Gold, IHG Amb Plat, HHonors Diamond(Aspire), Bonvoy LT Plat, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by omk298
While medical school was a while back for me, and I'm not working as a gastroenterologist/GP/relevant specialty, I've never heard of complications from moving from a vegan to a normal diet. I'm pretty confident that vegans can eat a bacon sandwich/steak/burger if they want to without worrying about some kind of re-meating syndrome.
I have some exprience with this.... I tried a vegetarian diet many moons ago and lasted about six month. After deciding it wasn't for me, I figured that a large T-Bone steak was a great way to 'ease back' into a meat eating diet. Let's just say things did not go well and the steak made a quick exit.

On the other hand, maybe I read this wrong, but I thought the OP had the option of selecting a vegetarian meal and the issue was that it wasn't a vegan meal. I'm aware of the difference, but if that was the case, I think I will just roll my eyes and move along.
Old Mar 18, 2024, 1:29 pm

Programs: AA Exec Platinum/MM, DL Gold/MM, Hilton Diamond, Accor Platinum, Hertz Presidents Circle
Here are my thoughts...
  • It's a 3 hour flight. If you were on a three hour flight on someone like Delta in the US you wouldn't have a dietary option at all, let alone vegan.
  • It may come as a surprise that in many less affluent parts of the world, people don't have the luxury to be that precise with their diet.
  • Even if you had the opportunity to order a vegan meal there is a reasonable chance that the contents wouldn't fit your definition or that it wouldn't be catered at all. On a recent AA flight in the US I ordered an Asian Vegetarian meal but the catering folks thought that the vegan meal was the same thing. Except for a small lettuce and tomato salad, it was inedible.
  • The ordinary vegetarian meal will likely have at least some things that qualify as vegan, so you won't starve.
In short, get over it. Pack your own food if your needs are that inflexible.
Old Mar 18, 2024, 1:33 pm

Programs: BA Gold, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Stripe
Here are my thoughts...
  • It's a 3 hour flight. If you were on a three hour flight on someone like Delta in the US you wouldn't have a dietary option at all, let alone vegan.
  • It may come as a surprise that in many less affluent parts of the world, people don't have the luxury to be that precise with their diet.
  • Even if you had the opportunity to order a vegan meal there is a reasonable chance that the contents wouldn't fit your definition or that it wouldn't be catered at all. On a recent AA flight in the US I ordered an Asian Vegetarian meal but the catering folks thought that the vegan meal was the same thing. Except for a small lettuce and tomato salad, it was inedible.
  • The ordinary vegetarian meal will likely have at least some things that qualify as vegan, so you won't starve.
In short, get over it. Pack your own food if your needs are that inflexible.
/end of thread!
Old Mar 18, 2024, 1:48 pm

Programs: KLM Plat for Life , BA Gold, HH Silver, (Other half Diamond), IHG Gold
Originally Posted by Sealink
​​​​​​
They do : see my post above . They even supply Vegan meals on Domestic routes

https://www.malaysiaairlines.com/uk/...-call-business

Last edited by golfmad; Mar 19, 2024 at 2:55 am Reason: Reduced images for readability
Old Mar 18, 2024, 1:51 pm

Programs: BA Plastic. HH Diamond. Speedwell Bar Lifetime Platinum.
Originally Posted by infrequentflytalker
I pity all who wasted their time defending an airline for not catering for a common dietary requirement 😂
Meah. All these special meals for various reasons, and there's still not one for "Just give me more meat, and sod the veg".
I've got over it.
BA or bust, endoman, HIDDY and 5 others like this.
Old Mar 18, 2024, 2:00 pm

Originally Posted by infrequentflytalker
Why does the phrase "just my two pence" always follow someone being condescending?

I just want my partner to be able to eat her dietary requirement (not preference) as a meal is a basic component of an airline's business class offering
If it's not available, it's not available. Fly another airline. Simple.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.