Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Booked on BA, but MH won't cater?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 18, 2024, 2:14 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by oceanscape
I'm sure BA would have a good laugh if you lodged a complaint with them. No way they'd offer any kind of gesture IMO. Isn't it a sub 3 hour flight, anyway? Hardly the end of the world.
At what point did I say it was the end of the world?

Last edited by aks120; Mar 18, 2024 at 2:25 pm Reason: Removed sentence - Rule 12.2 - If you have a difference of opinion with another member, challenge the idea - NOT the person
Old Mar 18, 2024, 2:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by infrequentflytalker
Why does the phrase "just my two pence" always follow someone being condescending?

I just want my partner to be able to eat her dietary requirement (not preference) as a meal is a basic component of an airline's business class offering
Unfortunately as noted above, it's not. If you were on a BA codeshare with AA domestic US you could find yourself on a 2-2.5 hour flight with a bag of crisps / popcorn / Oreos. BA don't promise catering on partner airlines
irishguy28 likes this.
Old Mar 18, 2024, 2:18 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by simonsmith
Perhaps you could change this into a positive experience for you both by getting together a little surprise meal of favourite things for them and serving it yourself onboard ? It would be much better than any airline meal . You could even add a flower or two for that special touch
Haha, good idea. Instant noodles and some tofu is probably as good as it'll get but I like your thinking 😁
simonsmith likes this.
Old Mar 18, 2024, 2:31 am
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club, Marriott Bonvoy

Programs: SPG LT Plat, BA G, BD*LG, MG Blue+ ...
She's got a vegan meal request set up on our account so it's not unreasonable to expect this to be catered for
I guess it hinges on this : if you have a dietary requirement set up on your BA profile, is it reasonable to expect that each and every codeshare operator that BA uses will accommodate it ?
fwfdan and orbitmic like this.
Old Mar 18, 2024, 2:34 am

don't see the issue. it's a short flight.
fwfdan, stifle, LETTERBOY and 8 others like this.
Old Mar 18, 2024, 2:45 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Haha, good idea. Instant noodles and some tofu is probably as good as it'll get but I like your thinking 😁
I know some vegan cabin crew (BA) who always travel with instant noodle packs (the rectangular packs), various condiments, nuts and dried fruit. It's not unusual for them to end up at a hotel late and there isn't any viable for them to eat. Luckily at both ends, DPS and KUL, getting good quality vegan food isn't too difficult. But as you've probably worked out, BA isn't able to do much about this, and their vegan food is somewhat unexciting anyway.

[/de-escalation].
Old Mar 18, 2024, 3:02 am

Programs: BAEC Blue/Bronze, Krisflyer, Qantas
Strange coming from MH, is that because Vegan isn't considered 'Special' and is part of the main meal selections?

AirAsia is the other main option on that route, I do like their food options but everything else no so much .
Old Mar 18, 2024, 4:11 am

Programs: KLM Plat for Life , BA Gold, HH Silver, (Other half Diamond), IHG Gold
I may have found the issue / answer .
I have upcoming flights on MH BKK TO KUL return ticketed by Royal Jordanian and as a code share in C.
I can’t select seats on line so I have just rung them .
Their system / policy is that if the tickets are issued as a code share you can’t select seats or meals in advance . Refreshingly worse IT than BAs!
Old Mar 18, 2024, 4:27 am
formerly JackDann

Very difficult to cater to everybody’s individual needs - i’d love it if I could have the food that I prefer every time I fly, but is very rarely the case. I just done a 14hr flight on SQ and didn’t really eat much because I didn’t like anything on the menu, unfortunate - but just one of those things. Certainly wasn’t the airlines fault.
the810 and oceanscape like this.
Old Mar 18, 2024, 4:46 am

Programs: Mucci Chevalier des Internautes Amables; BAEC
Flew SIN-KUL on MH a couple of weeks back. The food was abysmal. The service little better, although perfectly friendly. I would suggest - vegan or otherwise - pack a sandwich if you genuinely can’t survive the relatively short flight without food.
Old Mar 18, 2024, 5:14 am

Originally Posted by Oxon Flyer
I guess it hinges on this : if you have a dietary requirement set up on your BA profile, is it reasonable to expect that each and every codeshare operator that BA uses will accommodate it ?
Very good point, and of course, it's entirely reasonable that not every codeshare operator would accommodate the same preferences that BA does. But, with BA's continued investment in IT, maybe a nice future enhancement would be if someone has a preference that isn't accommodated on a codeshare, some messaging at time of booking to that effect would allow everyone to make an informed decision. I don't think the OP has grounds for complaint, but if they were so minded, they could offer this feedback to BA. Who knows, it might end up on a roadmap somewhere? Though I wouldn't hold my breath of it being a high priority item on the things that BA need to fix.
Old Mar 18, 2024, 5:36 am

Originally Posted by oceanscape
I'm sure BA would have a good laugh if you lodged a complaint with them. No way they'd offer any kind of gesture IMO. Isn't it a sub 3 hour flight, anyway? Hardly the end of the world.
Crikey. Fly that in domestic F in the US and often you get nothing more than a 'snack' (biscuits) or a small cold salad!
Old Mar 18, 2024, 5:38 am

Why does the phrase "just my two pence" always follow someone being condescending?

I just want my partner to be able to eat her dietary requirement (not preference) as a meal is a basic component of an airline's business class offering
Many of us have important health related requirements we must personally attend to, which services designed for the general public often do not, and never will adequately accommodate for.

Of course we campaign for greater awareness and more inclusive services, but when dealing with such things, accepting that in many scenarios, where reasonable, the onus is and will be on you to make the accommodations becomes a way of life.

I understand and sympathise with your disappointment, though I may not entirely agree with your framing of the matter.
Old Mar 18, 2024, 5:54 am
Formerly known as tireman77

OP states Vegan 'requirement' versus 'preference'. I do not know what medical conditions require a vegan diet, but I do have a friend who has Celiac disease (the real one, not the once hip 'gluten intolerant'). Eating anything with gluten (including things like broths that are textured with gluten) results in violent pain and gastric issues. He takes no chances even going out to a restaurant usually bringing his own food to ensure his health. Perhaps OP should consider doing something similar given the requirement?

Also, given that veganism is very much a WEIRD country phenomenon (as in the psychological bias: Western, educated, industrialised, rich and democratic) be prepared for the possible limited availability of vegan meals while travelling as they may be limited businesses catering to Western tourists.
Old Mar 18, 2024, 6:54 am

Programs: Mucci de Guardian des Celliers des Grands Crus 1e Classé, plus BAEC.
It may depend on how strictly vegan the OP’s partner is, but much vegetarian food in that part of the world could be vegan by default. Just need to watch out for fish sauce etc.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.