Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Free upgrade from Club World to First on reward ticket

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 17, 2024, 9:20 am
Original Poster

Something rather unexpected happened on my recent flight from Tokyo HND to London LHR. My wife and I were booked in Club World. These were Avios reward flights purchased with an AMEX Premium Plus 2-4-1 voucher. Just before boarding, after checking our passports, the boarding agent handed us two new First boarding passes. I had never flown First before and to experience it on a 15 hour flight was amazing. Also, this was the first time I was upgraded?
I recently moved up from BA Silver to Gold, but my wife doesn't hold status. I just wanted to share it here - mainly to process this fantastic surprise.
Old Mar 17, 2024, 9:22 am

Programs: BAEC Bronze
Congratulations to the world of op ups. Glad to hear your enjoyed it!
JayeJ, orbitmic, TobiasM2 and 1 others like this.
Old Mar 17, 2024, 9:31 am

Programs: BAEC Silver
My best upgrade(s) was also a long distance one, upgraded to First from ICN to LHR travelling home from work for Christmas. Two weeks later I received notification that I had been upgraded on the return too, by coincidence it was the same seat on the same plane both times 1A on YMMN, happy days. Just over 10 years ago now.
Old Mar 17, 2024, 10:01 am

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by TobiasM2
… unexpected ….fantastic surprise.
Much is written about the woeful state of BA’s IT. But they have cracked the upgrade algorithm. If you suspect, expect, hope, pray, or dare peek at the seat map for a higher cabin than you are ticketed in, your chances are zero.

OpUps only seem to happen when they come as a complete surprise. Congrats on yours!
EDDLEGLL, a1tj, jonkx and 3 others like this.
Old Mar 17, 2024, 11:33 am

However, now you have experienced the delights of F they hope you will book that in the future.
TobiasM2, JayeJ and 81romeo like this.
Old Mar 17, 2024, 11:48 am

Programs: Sir Ratechaser Seigneur de la Patience d'un Saint (Mucci), BA Silver, Starbucks Gold
Tobias-UK It seems you've had an upgrade as well

(On my last flight, I had UUA'd from WTP to CW, and then got an opup to F at the gate, so the gods do occasionally smile on us...)
Tobias-UK likes this.

Last edited by ratechaser; Mar 17, 2024 at 1:30 pm
Old Mar 17, 2024, 11:48 am

Programs: Mucci. And BA Gold – previous awards - Gold 11, Silver 7, Bronze 4.
This is really like hen’s teeth but it does happen on Avios tickets.
Happened to us on returning from a holiday in St. Lucia a few years ago.
Got the beep right at the last minute… boarding agent says, we have changed your seats… SWMBO starts to protest… I ask to look at the new BPs… SWMBO continues to protest… I (at high personal risk) suggest to SWMBO that all is fine and she should stay shtum… then we walk across the tarmac to the a/c and I explain that new seats are in F. SWMBO backs down from calling the divorce lawyer… and the rest of the trip was fabulous.
ENJOY!

PS Like you we were on Avios, on a 241 and IIRC recently up to Silver.

Last edited by BA or bust; Mar 17, 2024 at 12:14 pm
Old Mar 18, 2024, 4:14 am

Same thing happened to me back in Feb, same route too!

And just like BA or bust I was on Avios, 241, and it was my first new flight after hitting silver for the first time.
wrp96 and BA or bust like this.
Old Mar 18, 2024, 6:37 am

Programs: BA: GOLD, MARRIOTT: TITANIUM, IHG: PLAT, HILTON: GOLD
Something rather unexpected happened on my recent flight from Tokyo HND to London LHR. My wife and I were booked in Club World. These were Avios reward flights purchased with an AMEX Premium Plus 2-4-1 voucher. Just before boarding, after checking our passports, the boarding agent handed us two new First boarding passes. I had never flown First before and to experience it on a 15 hour flight was amazing. Also, this was the first time I was upgraded?
I recently moved up from BA Silver to Gold, but my wife doesn't hold status. I just wanted to share it here - mainly to process this fantastic surprise.
I remember our first upgrade, on VS from Prem to Upper Class, must be 20 years ago now. Got the beep at the gate and to be told we'd been upgraded, but the seats weren't together, they were behind each other. Turned out we'd been upgraded to the new (at the time) Upper Class Suite. Think it worked in their favour though......we've only travelled long haul in the back of the plane once since then.
Old Mar 18, 2024, 6:51 am

Programs: Mucci. And BA Gold – previous awards - Gold 11, Silver 7, Bronze 4.
Originally Posted by circusboy
I remember our first upgrade, on VS from Prem to Upper Class, must be 20 years ago now. Got the beep at the gate and to be told we'd been upgraded, but the seats weren't together, they were behind each other. Turned out we'd been upgraded to the new (at the time) Upper Class Suite. Think it worked in their favour though......we've only travelled long haul in the back of the plane once since then.
Excellent! And as far as VS is concerned you are the perfect target customer for an upgrade. They upgraded you… waited to see what would happen… and the result was spend, spend, spend!
Old Mar 18, 2024, 7:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA/AA/AS/B6/WN/ UA/HH/MR and more like 'em but most felicitously & importantly MUCCI
Originally Posted by BA or bust
This is really like hen’s teeth but it does happen on Avios tickets.
It happened to us once when we were on a Chase 2-for-1 Avios booking, WT+ to CW, out of the blue, but never lucky enough to score J --> F.

In our case we'd had a terrible outbound experience, with a spot cancellation, revised travel day, much chaos, etc. so wondered if we'd earned a system flag as distressed passengers and a shot at an apology upgrade.
BA or bust likes this.
Old Mar 18, 2024, 8:30 am

Programs: BA Silver
I also had an op-up CW to F on the LHR-HND route a few years ago, it happened both on the outbound and return, and coincidentally also to my girlfriend on the return despite being on separate bookings. It's the only time I've ever been upgraded out of many, many flights!
Old Mar 18, 2024, 9:04 am

i had a LAX-LHR flight that must have had a plane swapped at some point, you could not buy first class on it, but it had 3 cabins and some people (6?) were upgraded before boarding. i'm oneworld ruby and was on cash business, didn't make the cut though.
Old Mar 18, 2024, 12:39 pm

Same thing happened to me today on BA8 HND-LHR; had a reward ticket in CW and at the gate they pinged my name and gave me a new boarding pass in F.

Such a treat especially on such a long flight; the crew were incredible. No wifi and the IFE packed up with 5 hours left to go, but otherwise 5*.
Old Mar 18, 2024, 1:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K;BA Silver;AA G;HH Dia;HY Glob
Now you can start posting in this thread!
​​​​​​So - who got a free upgrade this week?
Hopefully the first of many you will receive in the future.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.