Search

Has BA Gone Mad..[seat selection costs]

Search this Thread

Old Mar 16, 2024, 10:22 am
Moderator, Trip Reports
Original Poster

Programs: UA GS-2MM, Marriott Ambassador
Has BA Gone Mad..[seat selection costs]

Just booked a Business award from MXP-LHR-DEN, using Alaska miles. Not bad value at 70,000 miles plus the several hundred £ they wanted for APD or whatever excuse they call it.

Find the BA locator, go to the BA site and try to select seats and they want some outrageous fee for both legs

Bloomin dreadful. How long has this nonsense been going on?

If I put my QF number in there (Gold) which is equivalent to OW Sapphire, can I select a seat or do I have to wait until T-24?

I tried to call the BA call center in the US and the recorded message basically told me to sod off. And when I went back online just now, the website told me to bugger off as well.

I think flying BA now is becoming an extreme sport...
Old Mar 16, 2024, 10:28 am
SGJ

Programs: BA Gold
Oneworld Saphire gets you free seat selection from time of booking.
nancypants and veron689908 like this.
Old Mar 16, 2024, 10:29 am

They really told you to sod off and bugger off? That's some recorded message....
Old Mar 16, 2024, 10:33 am

Originally Posted by eightblack
Just booked a Business award from MXP-LHR-DEN, using Alaska miles. Not bad value at 70,000 miles plus the several hundred £ they wanted for APD or whatever excuse they call it.

Find the BA locator, go to the BA site and try to select seats and they want some outrageous fee for both legs

Bloomin dreadful. How long has this nonsense been going on?

If I put my QF number in there (Gold) which is equivalent to OW Sapphire, can I select a seat or do I have to wait until T-24?

I tried to call the BA call center in the US and the recorded message basically told me to sod off. And when I went back online just now, the website told me to bugger off as well.

I think flying BA now is becoming an extreme sport...
With OW Sapphire you will be able to select any standard seat for free in advance its only exit rows you would pay for.
Old Mar 16, 2024, 10:33 am

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL (OWE), SA LifePlat (*G), BD Gold to the end, Hilton Diamond
This has been discussed so many times and my view hasn’t changed. Perhaps selfishly, as a BA GGL I’m happy that non-frequent BA or Oneworld flyers have to pay for the seats.
When they choose not to, it leaves me a better selection for my free selection if I book after them.
Old Mar 16, 2024, 10:36 am

Programs: BAEC
As mentioned OWS gets you seat selection from booking. Might take a while for your status to be reflected in the BA app.

There is no APD on itineraries transiting UK. It’s BA’s extra “carrier imposed surcharge” which is basically just some extra fare. On the other hand, you could try an AA itinerary. AA doesn’t charge this but with dynamic pricing of mileage seats, you might end up paying several 100k in miles and save a few hundred quid.
BA or bust likes this.
Old Mar 16, 2024, 10:39 am

Programs: BA GGL, A3*G, Mucci de l'expertise des Apps
One of the best things about BA!
Old Mar 16, 2024, 10:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold
How long has this nonsense been going on?
Only about 15 years …
Old Mar 16, 2024, 10:48 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
I see an event unfolding here. A Gonzo welcome back to the BA Forum. As for the subject of this topic, you can be reassured that BA will fly all sorts of people these days.

But with OWS - other than BA Silver - there is a separate process for seat selection - you need to get the reservation into the system with OWS as the primary frequent flyer card (FQTS rather than FQTV for the technically and Amadeus minded). Then you go into the reservation a second time, after FQTS has settled in and triggered the OW status database - then free seat selection should be enabled. The problem that can arise is that if you are not so high up the Alaska food chain - minor squirrel say - but it's AS's frequent flyer system (as FFR for the etcs) then BA won't know how valuable you are. I mean, we all know of course, but unfortunately that's sometimes not good enough. Or if you are newly Sapphired and the computers are still reeling from that. So find a quiet time, call BA and impress them with status, usually isn't difficult and I'm sure you'll manage.
Old Mar 16, 2024, 10:58 am
Moderator, Trip Reports
Original Poster

Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
I see an event unfolding here. A Gonzo welcome back to the BA Forum. As for the subject of this topic, you can be reassured that BA will fly all sorts of people these days.
A thousand thank yous CWS

You know I miss the BA forum. I think because I am a minion on Alaska, that when the booking sent the humble request across the pond to BA, it pulled my Alaska number across. There's no way online to change that (at least I not easily). I called BA here in America, but that was useless. And the website seems to go up and down like a brides nightie. The first leg it wants Euro for the seat selection and then the second leg it wants pounds. My OCD wont allow a reservation to sit there without a seat assignment, so I will pour myself a G&T a bit later and under the cover of darkness UK time, will attempt to fix this...
BA or bust, jlemon, wrp96 and 6 others like this.
Old Mar 16, 2024, 11:00 am
Moderator, Trip Reports
Original Poster

Originally Posted by PAL62V
They really told you to sod off and bugger off? That's some recorded message....
As an Aussie, we're used to plenty worse...
Old Mar 16, 2024, 11:05 am

Unfortunately this is growing more common among airlines. It is unfortunate but at this point you have to research just to see what is included in your ticket price even for J and not just with BA (see AF/KLM/QR). I am not a fan of this so I often fly another carrier where I get a free seat selection in J. Of course if BA is cheap enough/I am flying F or I am putting a high priority on flying straight to London (e.g., with my 81 year old mother this spring) then I'll suck it up.
AJNEDC likes this.
Old Mar 16, 2024, 11:06 am

Programs: AA, BAEC Gold
Since this is really an Alaska booking, won't you need to have them change the FF number on their side and then hope that it propagates to BA? At that point you may need BA to re-sync the bookings.
Old Mar 16, 2024, 11:08 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, Miles and More(FTL), IHG(Platinum), Accor, HHonors(Diamond), SPG, Hertz Five Star
A thousand thank yous CWS

You know I miss the BA forum. I think because I am a minion on Alaska, that when the booking sent the humble request across the pond to BA, it pulled my Alaska number across. There's no way online to change that (at least I not easily). I called BA here in America, but that was useless. And the website seems to go up and down like a brides nightie. The first leg it wants Euro for the seat selection and then the second leg it wants pounds. My OCD wont allow a reservation to sit there without a seat assignment, so I will pour myself a G&T a bit later and under the cover of darkness UK time, will attempt to fix this...
Try changing the FF program and number on the finnair website, pull the booking up using the ba pnr
Old Mar 16, 2024, 11:13 am

Programs: BA Silver, Virgin Red, Accor Gold, IHG Platinum
Do what many of us do and use the Finnair website to change your FF details….unlike BA it’s a paragon of calmness and efficiency.

Damn too slow, Scottishpoet beat me to it!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.