Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

New BA TV Advert - "Everywhere We Go Makes Us Everything We Are"

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 15, 2024, 10:58 am
Original Poster

Programs: British Airways Executive Club

A new BA TV advertising campaign with the slogan "Everywhere We Go Makes Us Everything We Are" will premiere tonight on Channel 4 during Gogglebox.

BA Media Centre

British Airways is unveiling its latest TV advert and brand campaign as part of its “A British Original” positioning, celebrating the important journeys in life that help shape a customer's future.British Airways worked with its agency, Uncommon Creative Studio, to develop the concept that it believes will resonate with many. In order to bring the campaign to life, the airline and its creative agency appointed Emmy Award winner and Grammy nominee, Miles Jay, as its film director. In addition, front woman of Groove Armada, Saint Saviour, curated the music. Built of acoustic tones and subtle vocals, the music carries viewers on an emotional journey, evoking those feelings of nostalgia for travel with loved ones.

Building on the creative concept of journeys shaping customers’ futures, the advert tells the story of a baby dreaming of all the experiences she may have ahead as she embarks on her first trip with British Airways. It shows poignant moments in her future, recognising that a path in life can be inspired by each and every journey taken.

The advert, making its television debut during one of the “Gogglebox” advert breaks this evening (Friday March 15), heroes the airline’s colleagues who feature in both the TV advert and out of home (OOH) imagery.

Calum Laming, British Airways’ Chief Customer Officer, said: “When it came to creating this advert and campaign, we knew we had to work with some of the best talent. As well as celebrating our amazing people throughout the advert and out of home, we worked with an incredible award-winning director and renowned singer-songwriter to really bring the concept of original journeys shaping your future in life.”

Lucy Jameson, Co-founder at Uncommon Creative Studio, said: “We are so proud to share the next iteration of A British Original working with our incredible partners. The work showcases the many journeys British Airways takes us on and the role they play in shaping our lives and who we become.”

Miles Jay, award-winning filmmaker, who directed the airline's TV advert, said: “Travel awakens who we are. I loved the construct of a coming-of-age story told through the dreams of a sleeping newborn on its first flight. This film shows the beauty of flying and how it puts us out into the world to reveal to ourselves who we are with a touch of British charm that is uniquely British Airways.”

The OOH images capture the wonder on customers’ faces when they look out of an aircraft window and onto the world from 35,000ft. This concept plays on the idea that customers usually take photographs from their seat out of the aircraft window, but instead, reversing the camera and spotlighting customers’ emotions as they look onto their destination, can give a deeper insight into their unique stories and original reasons for travel. British Airways strategic media buying agency, MG OMD, worked to carefully secure the 500 sites that the 11 prints will be displayed on throughout the UK, including digital billboards at Edinburgh, Cardiff, Manchester and Piccadilly Circus in Central London.

crazy8534, becks1 and 86BA7 like this.
Old Mar 15, 2024, 11:03 am

Programs: BAEC Gold! Thanks to FT
It’s ok but very similar to one of the Asian adverts with a baby on a flight and him on flights through the ages and served by the same now a bit more elderly crew member when he is an adult.
Old Mar 15, 2024, 11:15 am

Like all ads I’ll only ever see it on x30.
mikeyfly and Misco60 like this.
Old Mar 15, 2024, 11:19 am

Programs: BAEC Gold
"Everywhere We Go Makes Us Everything We Are" is completely meaningless. And it's not even catchy enough to be remembered.
Old Mar 15, 2024, 11:22 am

Programs: QF, TK, VA, SQ
The story is nice and all, and it's definitely dialled up the artistic flair, to me it doesn't really say "BA" and feels a bit obtuse/indirect.
But I'm not in advertising so maybe I'm missing the point 😂
Old Mar 15, 2024, 11:41 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

I like it.

The female cabin crew member you see at the beginning looks familiar.
crazy8534 likes this.
Old Mar 15, 2024, 11:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci des Hommes Magiques et Magnifiques
She is an ex CSD now IFM and a member of the BA Ambassador Team.
Old Mar 15, 2024, 12:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold/OWE, several MUCCI, and assorted Pensions!
Fascinating. Not sure what the message is supposed to be [yes, OK, I do] but it hardly says "Hey, Fly BA".

But then I'm largely immune to advertising after many decades of cynicism.
Old Mar 15, 2024, 1:00 pm

Programs: Mucci Chevalier des Internautes Amables; BAEC
This advert assumes one can log on to the website with one’s long-standing details to check flight details rather than playing a game of ‘is IT BA or is it hacked?’
Old Mar 15, 2024, 1:01 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold, EK Skywards (enhanced Blue !), Oman Air Sindbad Gold
Originally Posted by T8191
Fascinating. Not sure what the message is supposed to be [yes, OK, I do] but it hardly says "Hey, Fly BA".

But then I'm largely immune to advertising after many decades of cynicism.

And I suppose in many ways therein lies the inherent difficulty in trying to create a campaign that carries a dedicated - and persuasive - message, in a sector where there is so often very little product differentiation.

You have only to read the waffle within the Media Centre’s Press Release to see that the advert creators themselves don’t really have a well-defined strategy. It’s certainly a pleasant enough and very ‘watchable’ ad - but in truth, the agency could have come up with the very same set of images and ‘storyboard’ for any number of airlines who might have appointed them.

You’ll recall the (very costly !) Jennifer Aniston ads for Emirates a few years back. The message in those was at least unique to Emirates, in that it highlighted their 380 shower suite and lounge bar. Fair to say the ads attracted a lot of interest & comment ……. BUT of course it was promptly pointed out by critics (not to mention the necessary small print caveat) that the benefits portrayed were available to only a very small subset of passengers, and only on certain aircraft. As you say, the cynicism is always lurking.

Last edited by subject2load; Mar 15, 2024 at 1:04 pm Reason: spelling
Old Mar 15, 2024, 1:05 pm

Programs: Mucci Chevalier des Internautes Amables; BAEC
Originally Posted by subject2load
And I suppose in many ways therein lies the inherent difficulty in trying to create a campaign that carries a dedicated - and persuasive - message, in a sector where there is so often very little product differentiation.

You have only to read the waffle within the Media Centre’s Press Release to see that the advert creators themselves don’t really have a well-defined strategy. It’s certainly a pleasant enough and very ‘watchable’ ad - but in truth, the agency could have come up with the very same set of images and ‘storyboard’ for any number of airlines who might have appointed them.

You’ll recall the (very costly !) Jennifer Aniston ads for Emirates a few years back. The message in those was at least unique to Emirates, in that it highlighted their 380 shower suite and lounge bar. Fair to say the ads attracted a lot of interest & comment ……. BUT of course it was promptly pointed out by critics (not to mention the necessary small print caveat) that the benefits portrayed were available to only a very small subset of passengers, and only in certain aircraft. As you say, the cynicism is always lurking.
This is an interesting comment, and makes me wonder whether BA would be better focusing on promoting what makes them great - network, safety, familiarity, say - rather than falling into the well trodden trope of these nebulous feelings-based adverts that swallow whole the John Lewis Christmas thematic. However I suspect I’m not the target!
BA or bust, becks1 and HGOLI like this.
Old Mar 15, 2024, 1:06 pm

Programs: BA GGL, BA Amex Prem, Amex Plat, Hilton Diamond, Sir Crazy8534 de l'ordres des aides de Pucci
I like it.
The first thing that strikes me is that it is very much targeted at those who travel for personal/family/leisure reasons.
I loved the adverts that have an aviation/technology angle (e.g. "Aviators, British Airways To Fly To Serve") but this is different from those.
HIDDY likes this.
Old Mar 15, 2024, 1:24 pm

Programs: BAEC
Maybe I’m a cynical old git but it’s a bit “meh” - as my daughter would say.

Let’s face it, most airline passengers these days want a flight as cheap as possible and don’t care who it is with as long as it gets there; they probably won’t even lift their heads from their ‘phones when the adverts come on, it doesn’t really grab the attention.
Old Mar 15, 2024, 1:28 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold, EK Skywards (enhanced Blue !), Oman Air Sindbad Gold
Originally Posted by crazy8534
………………
The first thing that strikes me is that it is very much targeted at those who travel for personal/family/leisure reasons………….

Very true ; but of course all airlines get a massive chunk of their business from that very same group of passengers.

I can certainly relate to TheJayHatch’s post, suggesting that it might have been more original to come up with something that leaves you thinking (specifically) about British Airways …….. as opposed to just air travel in general. But that said, perhaps the aim is to appeal to - and retain - those who already see BA as their first choice rather than trying to attract new fans.
Old Mar 15, 2024, 1:33 pm

Programs: BA Silver, Hilton Diamond, BD Blue (RIP)
He said good evening, even though the BA282 leaves at 4:25pm, totally broke my suspension of disbelief

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.