Wiki Posts
Search

Involuntary re-route from BA to QR

Search this Thread

Old Mar 13, 2024, 3:44 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC
Involuntary re-route from BA to QR

I’m fairly new to Flyertalk and desperately wishing I had consulted this forum over the years given the brilliant advice.

I had flight fairly recently on BA in D Class from EDI-LHR-DXB. The BA flight from EDI-LHR was proactively cancelled (which happens and passengers were re-accommodated).

I was re-routed on Qatar Airways on a BA flight prefix from EDI to DOH and then a QR flight prefix from DOH to DXB (due to lack of availability on a later BA flight from LHR).

The flight from EDI-DOH was in Business but the flight from Doha to DXB in economy (despite being on a fully paid D Class ticket). The BA agent helpfully explained that Qatar Airways only sells Economy and First on the Doha to DXB route.

I later learnt that the ‘First Class’ on QR is exactly the same as Business.

Would there have been any way around this conundrum in order to have sat in Business on both legs.

Thank you very much for any/all advice.
simonsmith likes this.
Old Mar 13, 2024, 3:53 pm
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
I would say the agent got that wrong. D does not map into QR's economy and agents should be aware of that. All the rerouting guidance notes that I've seen say that downgrading to economy should only happen as a last resort and with the customer fully informed (e.g. told of other options). You can claim reimbursement for that, but the refund will be very small (under Ł50). So the best alternative is to push for a decent Avios gesture, which should at least give you a CE option on some future travels. That said, half of FT plus would say that getting business EDI to DOH is a good win (I would not be in that group though).
Old Mar 13, 2024, 4:04 pm
Original Poster

Thank you CWS for your help and guidance. Massively appreciated.

The way the agent explained it (as best as I can remember) was that the QR only offered A and F fare buckets - or else it was Y. If there had been a BA codeshare number then they could have offered a Business seat.

Since I had a D Class ticket they could re-book me into any Business Class fare - but not a First Class bucket….so I got downgraded🫤
Old Mar 13, 2024, 4:31 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

QR does only offer 1st and business class on that route and, unlike say US domestic flights where the US carriers may call it 1st class but use business class booking classes - QR indeed uses 'F' and 'A' for 1st class - and treats it as 1st class for lounge access too, so can understand that BA would only rebook into economy on that sector as opposed to upgrading to 1st class

Checking on Expert Flyer for QR as alternate airline on a BA booking, there are some listed exceptions where 'A" can be used on QR with a 'D' BA ticket, but the UAE doesn't seem to be one of them

QATAR-AMM
QATAR-BAH
QATAR-BEY
QATAR-CAI
QATAR-DMM
QATAR-HBE
QATAR-JED
QATAR-KRT
QATAR-KWI
QATAR-MCT
QATAR-OHS
QATAR-RUH

It is a normal situation, imo, when rebooking that if the class doesn't exist that a lower cabin is used.
Old Mar 13, 2024, 4:40 pm
Original Poster

Thank you very much.

Interesting that DXB is not on that list. Please forgive my lack of knowledge but is Expert Flyer a tool that’s used by the airlines (especially BA)?

For example, if the same were to happen to one of the destinations on the list (eg. the first on the list AMM) should be BA rebook into A Class? Of interest, does it make a difference if my original ticket is I or R Class?

Thanks so much🙂
Old Mar 13, 2024, 4:46 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver, Miles and More(FTL), IHG(Platinum), Accor, HHonors(Diamond), SPG, Hertz Five Star
Originally Posted by Dave Noble
but the UAE doesn't seem to be one of them...
Which is weird as all the othe short haul F and Y routes appear to be on that list.

afaik, on those routes access to al safwa is unpredictable if coming into DOH in J, especially if business lite
Old Mar 13, 2024, 5:56 pm

Originally Posted by McLeanHighlander
Thank you very much.

Interesting that DXB is not on that list. Please forgive my lack of knowledge but is Expert Flyer a tool that’s used by the airlines (especially BA)?

For example, if the same were to happen to one of the destinations on the list (eg. the first on the list AMM) should be BA rebook into A Class? Of interest, does it make a difference if my original ticket is I or R Class?

Thanks so much🙂
If you were on one of the routes where 'A" class was listed as a valid use on a 'D' ticket, I would have hoped that BA would have rebooked into 1st class - looking on EF, it does seem that 'I' class would also book into 'A' if available
Old Mar 13, 2024, 7:06 pm

Programs: VS FC Gold, BA EC Gold, Amex Centurion, EK Gold, ex-G-ATVK driver
As a data point, on a “normal” cash ticket, whenever I’ve booked UK to UAE (SHJ & DXB) on QR in J, the regional segment has always been in the F cabin.

It’s usual to get the throne bus directly out of the Al Safwa lounge too on the SHJ flights that are typically operated by narrow bodies at remote stands.
Old Mar 14, 2024, 2:58 am
Original Poster

Thanks.

On the few occasions that I’ve booked QR it has been seamless and I have also found that despite booking a Business Class ticket that I have been informed that it will be First on the Middle East short sector. Indeed, one ticket was I from the U.K. to Doha and A from Doha to Abu Dhabi.

It’s only been a problem when on a BA ticket.

From the reading the very kind responses here I guess that if it happens again that I perhaps just need to HUCA with BA?
Old Mar 14, 2024, 3:07 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Yes, try again with another agent. Also make a complaint / Avios claim for the diminished service, however it is quite a short trip.
Old Mar 14, 2024, 3:17 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
Yes, try again with another agent. Also make a complaint / Avios claim for the diminished service, however it is quite a short trip.
Great - and thank you very much again😊
Old Mar 14, 2024, 4:46 am

Programs: BA GGL, HH Diamond, IHG Diamond Amb
Have had the same experience with the GGL line when a cash BA booking to DXB was cancelled and the reroute was via DOH. According to the agent BA are unable to book a business class booking into QR “first” for the inter gulf leg (for DXB in this case) and it goes into Y instead. I tried to escalate this but they were adamant that nothing could be done- I did get a small refund as corporate-wage-slave mentioned above and for a c.45min flight I couldn’t be bothered to push further.
Old Mar 14, 2024, 5:16 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by ceej123
Have had the same experience with the GGL line when a cash BA booking to DXB was cancelled and the reroute was via DOH. According to the agent BA are unable to book a business class booking into QR “first” for the inter gulf leg (for DXB in this case) and it goes into Y instead. I tried to escalate this but they were adamant that nothing could be done- I did get a small refund as corporate-wage-slave mentioned above and for a c.45min flight I couldn’t be bothered to push further.
Really useful to hear. Your experience sounds identical to mine.

Would be nice if BA could resolve for the future. Let’s hope🙂
Old Mar 14, 2024, 6:14 am

Originally Posted by Howard Long
As a data point, on a “normal” cash ticket, whenever I’ve booked UK to UAE (SHJ & DXB) on QR in J, the regional segment has always been in the F cabin.

It’s usual to get the throne bus directly out of the Al Safwa lounge too on the SHJ flights that are typically operated by narrow bodies at remote stands.
That isn't a data point that is relevant though. QR's policy on the flight ticketing for such journeys is different to that of BA's ; I would be surprised if QR didn't book into 1st class
Old Mar 14, 2024, 9:32 am

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold, EY Plat, etc
It is certainly different between BA and QR. I returned from AUH earlier this month on a QR ticket and my business round trip fare on QR booked into I with 140TPs for the DOH sector and A with 60TPs for the 30minute hop to AUH so it is genuinely a First Class ticket on the short sector and I understand the disappointment of the downgrade, especially as a D fare to DXB would have been a lot more than my I fare to AUH.

The QR A fare also ensures Al Safwa access but only in combination with a Long Haul connection in Business.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.