Wiki Posts
Search

Need BA flight requirement help

Search this Thread

Old Mar 7, 2024, 11:20 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA Executive Platinum
Need BA flight requirement help

London resident but my mother in Sydney passed away last year and I’m spending most of this year in Sydney sorting her estate and taking her ashes back to her country of birth.

Have been BA Silver/OW Sapphire for a long while.

I’m not going to make the 4-sector BA flight requirement for requalification. I will have enough tier points, just not enough BA flights. At the moment I have 1 x BA flight.

Looking for ideas:
- if BA would consider waiving the BA flight requirement
​​​​​​- A tier point run from London.

The problem with a tier point run is I need 3 x additional BA flights, so doing that from London isn’t easy.
Old Mar 7, 2024, 11:57 pm
Fairmont Contributor Badge

Programs: BAEC
Originally Posted by creampuff
The problem with a tier point run is I need 3 x additional BA flights, so doing that from London isn’t easy.
Internal UK flights MAN, NCL, GLA etc count as well as flights to AMS, LUX, DUB and other nearby European airports (which cost about the same or less than internal flights).
You can always travel by train one way, or take 4 flights instead of just 3.

Alternatively a return trip UK-OZ (or vica versa) with a stopover in SIN instead of just continuing should give you four BA flights.
crazy8534 and SxMan like this.
Old Mar 8, 2024, 12:29 am

3 flights from London in economy will do it.
loads of short options with no need to stay overnight anywhere. You could leave LHR in the morning and be back by late afternoon.

Edinburgh
Glasgow
Amsterdam
Dublin
Manchester

sorry to hear of your loss.

i’ve never known BA to waive the requirement and not seen any successful reports on here
Old Mar 8, 2024, 12:46 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA Executive Platinum
Is there any routing which will allow me to take only 3 flights, instead of 4 flights? A return flight in an afternoon is easy but having to do that twice is a chore.
Old Mar 8, 2024, 12:54 am

Programs: BA, Hilton
Is there any routing which will allow me to take only 3 flights, instead of 4 flights? A return flight in an afternoon is easy but having to do that twice is a chore.
It's possible, but depending on timings you may find it just as much a chore, and probably more expensive.

One possible routing would be:
LHR-EDI on BA
EDI-DUB on BA coded, operated by Aer Lingus (Regional)
DUB-LHR on BA

To count as a qualifying flight, you will need to ensure that the EDI-DUB leg has a BA flight number, and booking that route through BA tends to be significantly more expensive than booking on Aer Lingus

There would be other variations of that involving the BA City Flyer flights that depart from the regional airports on Saturdays to destinations other than London, but they tend to be focused on leisure destinations so you'd be looking at some longer flight times.
Old Mar 8, 2024, 12:59 am

Programs: BAEC, VS Flying Club
Originally Posted by BertieBadger
It's possible, but depending on timings you may find it just as much a chore, and probably more expensive.

One possible routing would be:
LHR-EDI on BA
EDI-DUB on BA coded, operated by Aer Lingus (Regional)
DUB-LHR on BA

To count as a qualifying flight, you will need to ensure that the EDI-DUB leg has a BA flight number, and booking that route through BA tends to be significantly more expensive than booking on Aer Lingus

There would be other variations of that involving the BA City Flyer flights that depart from the regional airports on Saturdays to destinations other than London, but they tend to be focused on leisure destinations so you'd be looking at some longer flight times.
Yes, plenty of similar options like LHR-BHD-GLA-LHR but make sure the middle leg has a BA code.
BertieBadger likes this.
Old Mar 8, 2024, 12:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
I see that BA serves BLL from both LON and MAN. But whether the schedule permits a same-day return, I do not know.
Old Mar 8, 2024, 2:09 am

As you say London is possible, presumably you are making another journey to/from SYD at some point?

Could you try and tick off the flights on that trip- it needn’t be the BA15 route- you could also do a codeshare on QR via DOH for example. Just needs to be booked under the the BA code.
Old Mar 8, 2024, 2:17 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
You have to take 4 physical flights, but you can do that in an afternoon starting from LHR or LCY. Probably LGW too. But if you are not doing much flying then what's the point anyway?
stifle and irishguy28 like this.
Old Mar 8, 2024, 2:25 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Platinum, Hilton Diamond
Don't forget about Iberia. Something like LHR-MAD-BCN on IB code and metal. Then fly back from BCN on BA. You can substitute with any other Spanish city but that's just one example.
Old Mar 8, 2024, 2:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: KL Platinum; A3 Gold
Why not fly back from Sydney on BA?

(or maybe that is your 1 BA flight)
Old Mar 8, 2024, 2:32 am

Programs: BA, Hilton
As suggested, if you are determined to do just 3, there are quite a few variations of LON-XXX-YYY-LON available.

The key is to make sure the XXX-YYY leg is qualifying, which means it would need to be either:

a) BA coded if operated by another carrier
b) IB coded AND IB operated

The Iberia option is not a bad shout at all if you fancy a few hours in a Spanish city.....
Old Mar 8, 2024, 2:36 am
Fontaine d'honneur du Flyertalk

Programs: Reine des Muccis de Pucci; Foreign Elitist (according to others)
I have learned much here about codeshares being acceptable to count to the 4 flights. I was wondering if this would include Vueling LGW - ORY? BA 8093 is shown on Expertflyer as BA but is operated by Vueling.
Old Mar 8, 2024, 2:39 am

Programs: Mucci Chevalier des Internautes Amables; BAEC
Do Aer Lingus fly to EDI or MAN? Could do LON-DUB-MAN-LON on code share?
Old Mar 8, 2024, 2:50 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by PUCCI GALORE
I have learned much here about codeshares being acceptable to count to the 4 flights. I was wondering if this would include Vueling LGW - ORY? BA 8093 is shown on Expertflyer as BA but is operated by Vueling.
Yes, but it has to be sold as a codeshare, so typically bough from BA and marketed by BA, not VY prime. Just because the codeshare exists is not enough, it has to be a BA marketed ticket on BA numbers.
==
I see a lot of circular routings here, but there's no requirement for that and can be risky depending on ticketing. A pair of B2Bs to JER or MAN or NCL can be done in an afternoon. The last flight out of JER can be 18:00 hrs, so you'd have to start close to midday.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.