UK APD hike for premium cabins announced

https://www.businesstravelnewseurope...ium-travellers
oceanscape likes this.
Old Mar 6, 2024, 9:23 am

Programs: BA Silver
... Yet to be announced later on today.

Programs: BAEC
To add a bit of context and following the budget announcement today in Parliament. The following is taken from the budget document (page 71) available on gov.uk.

5.32 Air Passenger Duty (APD) rates – The 2025-26 APD rates for economy
passengers will increase in line with forecast RPI, rounded to the nearest pound.
Rates for those flying premium economy, business and first class and for private jet
passengers will also increase by forecast RPI and will be further adjusted for recent
high inflation to help maintain their real terms value.
​​​​​​​https://assets.publishing.service.go...ssible__2_.pdf

Programs: BA Gold
Unfortunately passengers are an easy target. The actual amount ("hike") was not been mentioned, if anyone has seen the detail would be interesting to know?

I guess it will not impact premium passengers in Europe or WTP, seems to only apply to "passengers travelling in seats with a pitch of greater than 40 inches" according to the linked article?
SxMan likes this.
Old Mar 6, 2024, 9:25 am

Originally Posted by ademanuele
Unfortunately passengers are an easy target. The actual amount ("hike") was not been mentioned, if anyone has seen the detail would be interesting to know?

I guess it will not impact premium passengers in Europe or WTP, seems to only apply to "passengers travelling in seats with a pitch of greater than 40 inches" according to the linked article?
See my post above but it does include Premium Economy (World Traveller Plus).
SxMan likes this.
Old Mar 6, 2024, 9:25 am
Fairmont Contributor Badge

Slightly below inflation increase in APD announced...
Old Mar 6, 2024, 9:40 am

Programs: BA (LTG), Miles&More (whatever the lowest level is), Oyster card (zones 1-2)
Going for the (higher) RPI measure of inflation (which hardly anyone uses any more), and not (lower) CPI. Quelle surprise.
SxMan likes this.
Old Mar 6, 2024, 9:48 am

Originally Posted by ademanuele
Unfortunately passengers are an easy target.
We say that about everything in the UK.

The problem with us Brits is we moan that there's not enough money to invest in the NHS, our schools and other areas, yet complain when people with a higher-than-average income has to pay towards this. ie. it's a case of 'yeah, there's richer people than me, even though I'll pay £4K for a J seat!' once a month.

It's like building houses. Everyone agrees there's simply not enough houses, yet as soon as anyone wants to build houses near them, everyone becomes a NIMBY and thinks 'yeah, build elsewhere, but not here!'.

And then we apply these theories to everything....yet moan the government is useless. No wonder we're in a declining state.
Old Mar 6, 2024, 9:59 am

From OP: "APD rates for some bands were already due to increase from 1 April this year, with standard rates (for travel in classes where the seat pitch is greater than 40 inches) on domestic flights rising from £13 to £14, Standard Band B rates (for flights of 2,001 to 5,000 miles) increasing from £191 to £194, and Standard Band C rates (for flights of more than 5,000 miles) rising from £200 to £202. The Standard Band A rate (for international flights of up to 2,000 miles) is due to remain static at £26."

Not sure the £2 difference is going to make as much of an impact as some of the posts in this and other recent threads are predicting.

Edit: The £2 rise comes this April. The budget announced unspecified higher increases (RPI + a random amount) from April 2025.
salut0, ademanuele and DeathSlam like this.

Last edited by adrianlondon; Mar 6, 2024 at 10:15 am
Old Mar 6, 2024, 10:00 am

Originally Posted by chriswiles
We say that about everything in the UK.

The problem with us Brits is we moan that there's not enough money to invest in the NHS, our schools and other areas, yet complain when people with a higher-than-average income has to pay towards this. ie. it's a case of 'yeah, there's richer people than me, even though I'll pay £4K for a J seat!' once a month.

It's like building houses. Everyone agrees there's simply not enough houses, yet as soon as anyone wants to build houses near them, everyone becomes a NIMBY and thinks 'yeah, build elsewhere, but not here!'.

And then we apply these theories to everything....yet moan the government is useless. No wonder we're in a declining state.
By that argument there is no limit to raising taxes on those with higher-than-average income? (and higher than average income in the UK is a lot lower than many other countries!)

Tax receipts are a record % high of the economy so yes some of us are correct to lament how poorly performing the UK state is. A further rise in APD, even a small amount, is another pain point regardless of the capacity to pay.
Old Mar 6, 2024, 10:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold / VS /IHG Diamond & Ambassador
Originally Posted by adrianlondon
From OP: "APD rates for some bands were already due to increase from 1 April this year, with standard rates (for travel in classes where the seat pitch is greater than 40 inches) on domestic flights rising from £13 to £14, Standard Band B rates (for flights of 2,001 to 5,000 miles) increasing from £191 to £194, and Standard Band C rates (for flights of more than 5,000 miles) rising from £200 to £202. The Standard Band A rate (for international flights of up to 2,000 miles) is due to remain static at £26."

Not sure the £2 difference is going to make as much of an impact as some of the posts in this and other recent threads are predicting.
That's the previous increaae. The increase announed today that will apply from 1/4/25 are included in the document rockflyertalk posted.
adrianlondon likes this.
Old Mar 6, 2024, 10:11 am

Originally Posted by UKtravelbear
That's the previous increaae. The increase announed today that will apply from 1/4/25 are included in the document rockflyertalk posted.
Oh! It was in the article I skimmed Let me check and edit my post.
Old Mar 6, 2024, 10:24 am

Programs: M&S Elite+
The table with the new charges is in the thread in the UK forum:

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/36057490-post55.html
Old Mar 6, 2024, 10:27 am

Programs: UA PP (2MM), BA gold
I did not need any additional reason to avoid LHR when possible. Keep us foreigners avoiding spending money in UK. Great for economy and tax income.

Same stupidity in the USA. All politicians from the same mould.
EuropeanPete and mnhusker like this.
Old Mar 6, 2024, 10:38 am

Programs: BA Gold, Hotels.com Gold
I don't exactly like it, but an increase of £22 isn't going to change my flying behaviour.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.