Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

M25 - Jct 10-11 closed 15 Mar 2100 to 18 Mar 0600. Delays for BA LGW-LHR Connections

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

M25 - Jct 10-11 closed 15 Mar 2100 to 18 Mar 0600. Delays for BA LGW-LHR Connections

Search this Thread

Old Mar 6, 2024, 1:34 am
Original Poster

Programs: VS Silver; Matmid Silver, BA Bronze; Accor Plat.

https://nationalhighways.co.uk/our-r...5-junction-10/

In The Times this morning, severe impact on those travelling from the SE and anyone transferring between LHR and LGW
stewaran likes this.
Old Mar 6, 2024, 1:59 am

Programs: BA Gold; Virgin FF; United Airlines; American Airlines; and was frequent c/c churner - RIP!
At least we know in advance and can make alternative arrangements or factor in additional travel time. There have been many times due to an incident/accident when the M25 has been closed at short notice and have been caught up in it and have had close shaves and/or missed flights. Safe travels to all en route to LHR/LGW, et al.
becks1 likes this.
Old Mar 6, 2024, 2:43 am
BOH

Programs: IC Hotels Spire, BA Gold
Originally Posted by davidcamp6
https://nationalhighways.co.uk/our-r...5-junction-10/

In The Times this morning, severe impact on those travelling from the SE and anyone transferring between LHR and LGW
The train is surprisingly easy to take between the two airports if people don't mind a few connections. I always avoid central London and do LHR to Earls Court on the Piccadilly, short 5 minute walk to West Brompton, London Overground to Clapham J (circa 7 minutes) and then you have about 5-6 trains an hour to LGW from there.

I think the Lizzie Line allows it with one change at Farringdon now too, not ever done this though
Old Mar 6, 2024, 2:48 am
Original Poster

But I am concerned with the knock on effect all the way up to M3/M4 for those of us coming from the West. The Times indicates that a planned daytime closure of all lanes in both directions is unheralded. There will be many who don't plan in advance and won't realise until they see the closure signs.
Old Mar 6, 2024, 2:57 am

Programs: BA Gold
I couldn't see the follow on dates in the link from the OP? Are they in the Times article?
Old Mar 6, 2024, 2:57 am
BOH

Originally Posted by davidcamp6
But I am concerned with the knock on effect all the way up to M3/M4 for those of us coming from the West. The Times indicates that a planned daytime closure of all lanes in both directions is unheralded. There will be many who don't plan in advance and won't realise until they see the closure signs.
Yes, there will always be some who just don't read the news anytime and blindly set off in complete ignorance of the traffic situation those weekends. The A3 will also be severely affected, particularly eastbound between Guildford and the M25. I predict a lot of missed flights, particularly on the first closure weekend.
davidcamp6 and becks1 like this.
Old Mar 6, 2024, 2:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold
Living off Junction 11 I am well used to motorway closures and the local roads being gridlocked. Just to advise, there’s some annoying temp lights around too which will add to next weekends issues if they’re not gone
Old Mar 6, 2024, 3:25 am

Programs: VS FC Gold, BA EC Gold, Amex Centurion, EK Gold, ex-G-ATVK driver
Originally Posted by BOH
The train is surprisingly easy to take between the two airports if people don't mind a few connections. I always avoid central London and do LHR to Earls Court on the Piccadilly, short 5 minute walk to West Brompton, London Overground to Clapham J (circa 7 minutes) and then you have about 5-6 trains an hour to LGW from there.
I am sure that's great if (a) you have no baggage and (b) you're already familiar with the route, particularly the walking bit!

I think the Lizzie Line allows it with one change at Farringdon now too, not ever done this though
That seems a great option to me, there being only one change, and being a modern/modernised station, it's step-free between Lizzie & Thameslink should you have luggage or are infirm. I have done this change once albeit coming the other way from Liverpool Street. ISTR that you need to remember to to tap out for the Lizzie line if you tapped in to use the Lizzie line segment but have a rail ticket for the Thameslink down to Gatters. Going Eastbound, target the carriages at the rear of the Lizzie line or else you risk a long walk, or worse, coming out at Barbican and not Farringdon.
becks1 likes this.
Old Mar 6, 2024, 3:36 am

Programs: BA Gold, LH Sen, MUCCI, Junior Jet Club.
I do the Liz to Thameslink shuffle at Farringdon reasonably frequently and it's super easy. The lifts up from the Liz (at the rear of the train if coming from Heathrow) deposit you right on the southbound Thameslink platform. In the other direction, the rear of the Thameslink pulls up adjacent to the escalators down to the Liz. I would definitely use this route in preference to the tube to Earls Court, a walk, Overground to Clapham, changing over the big footbridge for Southern, very limited luggage space vs Thameslink etc. etc. Avoid (however it is slightly cheaper).

You can tap in/out at both Heathrow and Gatwick, an Adult Single between the two is £28.90 in the peak, £20.50 at other times.
SW7London and Howard Long like this.
Old Mar 6, 2024, 3:37 am
BOH

Originally Posted by Howard Long
I am sure that's great if (a) you have no baggage and (b) you're already familiar with the route, particularly the walking bit!
Yes I agree, it would not be good with large luggage although with one cabin sized rollaboard it is fine. I do it this way because I am rarely in a hurry when connecting between LHR and LGW but the main reason is it seems to significantly contribute to my target of 10,000 steps in a day and 10 flights of stairs. Particularly with the latter, those connections mean I achieve that target just with all the stairs on this route
Howard Long likes this.
Old Mar 6, 2024, 3:40 am

Programs: BAEC
Is it possible to rewrite the title to be more clearer for people who don’t know the M25 and maybe are connecting between LHR/LGW. This is probably omni territory anyway.

I thought 10-11 was the dates but it’s the junctions!

I might need more coffee!
BlueThroughCrimp likes this.
Old Mar 6, 2024, 3:49 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Bubbles09
I couldn't see the follow on dates in the link from the OP? Are they in the Times article?
No, just says 5x up to September
Bubbles09 likes this.
Old Mar 6, 2024, 3:52 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by rockflyertalk
Is it possible to rewrite the title to be more clearer for people who don’t know the M25 and maybe are connecting between LHR/LGW. This is probably omni territory anyway.

I thought 10-11 was the dates but it’s the junctions!

I might need more coffee!
Tried to change title but couldn't, I don't think OMNI is particularly widely read, and with people more likely to be changing between LHR and LGW on BA it seemed appropriate to post here. Happy for mods to intervene.
BOH and rockflyertalk like this.
Old Mar 6, 2024, 4:17 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold 1MM, BA Gold, UA Peon
The Liz Line and Thameslink interchange at Farringdon is extremely easy. There's a direct lift between the Southbound Thameslink and the Liz Line, and between Liz line and Northbound Thameslink you go up to the ticket hall, walk across the hall (20 metres), and take the opposite lift down. I would recommend it over anything involving a Tube station, particularly with baggage.

The entire LHR to LGW journey via Farringdon should be possible on a contactless or Oyster card, so you touch in at one end and touch out at the other.
Old Mar 6, 2024, 5:04 am

Programs: BA GGL
Re: LHR ⇔ LGW via Farringdon, worth noting that the Elizabeth line trains to/from LHR T5 only run every half an hour. Whereas they run every 15 mins to/from T4.

Therefore if heading from T5 to Farringdon, if the next departure is a Heathrow Express service, it's quicker to take that to T2&3 and change there (same platform, level boarding) for an Elizabeth line train that's come from T4.

Similarly, if heading from Farringdon to T5 and the next Heathrow-bound departure is for T4, it's quicker to take that as far as T2&3 and change there (same platform, level boarding) for a HEx train to T5.

There's no extra cost for taking the HEx between T2&3 and T5.
Stewie Mac, wrp96, becks1 and 1 others like this.

Last edited by flarmip; Mar 6, 2024 at 5:29 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.