Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Reward flights - do Goldies see more than silver?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 4, 2024, 1:49 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC Gold

When I search for reward flights on the BA web site a message comes up saying

Gold Executive Club Member Benefit

Additional reward seats have been made available for you on 1 or more of the flights you have searched

I will be dropping down to silver later in the year and was wondering if there is a significant difference between availability offered to gold members to what a silver member sees
Old Mar 4, 2024, 1:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold
Yes, Gold members get more Y availability, often helpful on short haul
KeaneJohn, KARFA, EDDLEGLL and 1 others like this.
Old Mar 4, 2024, 1:55 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold! Thanks to FT
Yes once I went up to Gold short haul I literally got a choice of one of many daily departures whereas as Silver I got maybe a choice of a single flight at meh times 5 or 6 times a week. I think Gold can use any V? bucket for an aware too.
BertieBadger likes this.
Old Mar 4, 2024, 1:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by mikeyfly
Yes, Gold members get more Y availability, often helpful on short haul
It’s a great benefit - V class gets converted into award space.
BertieBadger, TedToToe and KARFA like this.
Old Mar 4, 2024, 1:56 pm

Programs: BA, Hilton
Specifically I believe Golds can book economy rewards seats if the 'V' revenue booking class is available, that's where the additional seats are drawn from.

I've not personally found a use for it, but clearly others do. I imagine it's most useful for travel dates and destinations that are fixed.
Old Mar 4, 2024, 2:09 pm

Programs: Sir Ratechaser Seigneur de la Patience d'un Saint (Mucci), BA Silver, Starbucks Gold
Originally Posted by BertieBadger
Specifically I believe Golds can book economy rewards seats if the 'V' revenue booking class is available, that's where the additional seats are drawn from.

I've not personally found a use for it, but clearly others do. I imagine it's most useful for travel dates and destinations that are fixed.
In the past it was very useful for me on group trips - getting 9 RFS returns on routes in the school hols would never have worked as a silver. This was before the days of guaranteed Y availability per flight...
BertieBadger and BA or bust like this.
Old Mar 4, 2024, 2:16 pm

Programs: BA, Hilton
Yes, I appreciate I'm probably in a minority - I tend to be very flexible on dates and destinations for Avios spend, so would seek J/F seats.

Equally, it's clearly a major benefit to others.

I suppose the point I'm clumsily making is that how much the OP misses it will depend on their travel and spend patterns.
Old Mar 4, 2024, 2:43 pm

Can I hitch a secondary question onto this: Are the "extra" seats only bookable for the gold member themselves, or can they book them for family/friends through their account, even if not travelling with the gold member?
Old Mar 4, 2024, 2:47 pm

Programs: BA GGL
Originally Posted by InitialDave
Can I hitch a secondary question onto this: Are the "extra" seats only bookable for the gold member themselves, or can they book them for family/friends through their account, even if not travelling with the gold member?
You can book for anyone.
Old Mar 4, 2024, 3:07 pm

Good to know, thank you.
Old Mar 4, 2024, 3:49 pm

does the extra RFS availability apply to cityflyer flights too? (not the forced double-avios availability, which I know doesn't)
Old Mar 4, 2024, 6:25 pm

Programs: BA Gold, ALL Gold
Originally Posted by easterlywinds
does the extra RFS availability apply to cityflyer flights too? (not the forced double-avios availability, which I know doesn't)
Seems like it, based on a dummy booking between LCY-IBZ which shows the 'gold benefit' banner:
Spoiler

easterlywinds likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.