Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

I've been duplicated | BA check someone in as me

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 23, 2024, 8:57 am
Original Poster

Programs: Seigneur des Tarifs Utils First Class Mucci with Honours :) - BA GGL / CCR

I was booked from Glasgow to London and London to Italy on separate tickets today as I need both to have SDC

Hadn't bothered checking in to the Italy flight till I landed at LHR. I had an exit row booked 12F days in advance and when I checked in it said I was in 16F even though the app showed 12F. I printed the BP and it gave me 17F which was neither of the two previous options

Tried to go through flight connections DOM - INT and got a message saying that I had to go to BA customer service. I did and stood there for over 40 minutes before giving up and going landside and visiting what's left of the first wing.

At the first wing they say all seats are full and I'm in 17F I argue the case and when they call ops they tell me I changed seat twice . Once yesterday at 820am and again today at 1030am when I told them I was asleep the first time and I was midair to London the second I explained it was impossible. So they kicked 12f out their seat and gave it back to me and issued BP

Went to try get airside and still couldn't so someone just waved me through and off I went to the CCR

Fast forward to boarding and I was showing already boarded at the gate. Showed my ID and agent override it.

On the plane there is someone in my seat who when questioned shows me my BP and my details Inc exec number on it.

TRM called and apparently this guy has exactly the same name as me and when check-in swiped his passport they picked me on the booking not him and he went airside as me and boarded as me

In the end I had to show the receipt for my booking as well as the credit card I booked it and the other guy was offloaded. Unfortunately for him due to conformance he had been offloaded as a no show for not checking in.

What an absolute shambles. Surely it can't be that easy to be someone else. I'm more suspicious that the seat changed showed as yesterday surely that means they had my PNR somehow ?
Old Feb 23, 2024, 9:09 am

Programs: Mucci, BA Bronze, Hilton Gold
That is insane. And we wonder how that guy managed to get on a flight to New York with no passport etc.

Last edited by Sealink; Feb 27, 2024 at 6:29 am
Old Feb 23, 2024, 9:14 am

Programs: BA Gold, Hilton Diamond
Sounds dodgy - how would he have changed your seat without your PNR? Sorry to hear you went through such an experience; I'd have been pretty annoyed (to put it lightly). Unbelievable this can happen in 2024.
becks1 likes this.
Old Feb 23, 2024, 9:18 am

Programs: BAEC Gold
Sounds like FLY needs a big red CHECK DOB message whenever there are 2 PAX with the same name on a flight. Data protection red flags everywhere.
Old Feb 23, 2024, 9:28 am

Programs: BA GGL, BA Amex Prem, Amex Plat, Hilton Diamond, Sir Crazy8534 de l'ordres des aides de Pucci
That story is absolutely bananas!
Bad enough for you but think of the poor other guy....
Was the other chap surprised that he was offered access to the CCR?
wrp96, cgtechuk, becks1 and 7 others like this.
Old Feb 23, 2024, 9:32 am
Ambassador: Emirates Airlines

Originally Posted by crazy8534
Bad enough for you but think of the poor other guy....
Hopefully he'll get a bit of UK261 compo for being offloaded!
lsquare, wrp96, crazy8534 and 2 others like this.
Old Feb 23, 2024, 9:41 am

Programs: BAEC
Did the other person sat in your seat not check in?

If so why on earth would you not check in to a flight? It’s a well established and embedded part of flying! I know people who panic if they can’t check in before leaving home.
Pigeon49 likes this.
Old Feb 23, 2024, 9:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci Extraordinaire, Hilton Diamond, BA Gold (ex BD)
Change your name to something rare like John Smith or something.

Or perhaps pick an interesting title from the dropdown, then if the other person sees Lord Cgtechuk on their boarding pass instead of Mr/Ms Cgtechuk then they might sense something isn't right and question it at the desk.
lsquare, cgtechuk and Pigeon49 like this.
Old Feb 23, 2024, 9:42 am

Programs: BA Gold, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by rockflyertalk

If so why on earth would you not check in to a flight? It’s a well established and embedded part of flying! I know people who panic if they can’t check in before leaving home.
??? It might surprise you how many people don't do OLCI and just go to the airport. It's very common!
Old Feb 23, 2024, 9:44 am
Original Poster

Programs: Seigneur des Tarifs Utils First Class Mucci with Honours :) - BA GGL / CCR
Originally Posted by rockflyertalk

He checked in at the airport with his passport and when the agent swiped his passport they selected me. They were status less so I feel more bad that they could have had CCR access than offloaded .
the810, YacozA, crazy8534 and 6 others like this.
Old Feb 23, 2024, 9:45 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by layz
Change your name to something rare like John Smith or something.

Or perhaps pick an interesting title from the dropdown, then if the other person sees Lord Cgtechuk on their boarding pass instead of Mr/Ms Cgtechuk then they might sense something isn't right and question it at the desk.
You joke but half of that name is correct haha
LondonAndy likes this.
Old Feb 23, 2024, 10:00 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
This would have been avoided if at the temporary First Wing someone had checked the biometrics of the person on your boarding pass as presented, which may have shown someone looking somewhat different from the OP. I know the OP's name and it's not that common, indeed there's nothing common about the OP I should rush to point out. Perhaps a bit more renown in Glasgow. But still there was an obvious check, but presumably everyone was thinking "oh BA's IT again....." when it was actually human failure. Still one feels for the main casualty here since he would not only ended up delayed on to another flight, but there's a fair risk to his checked baggage (and that's the main reason some people don't do OLCI) and there's not an easy way to capture his biometrics once airside.

Last edited by corporate-wage-slave; Feb 23, 2024 at 10:27 am
Old Feb 23, 2024, 10:24 am
Original Poster

To add to the chaos. I've just checked my PNR and my return is cancelled and my BP says I have a checked bag when I don't. This is a bit of s cluster.

I'm not worried about the return. It's an easy fix but sounds like the chaos continues
crazy8534, 330, becks1 and 1 others like this.
Old Feb 23, 2024, 10:33 am

Programs: BAEC
Originally Posted by oceanscape
??? It might surprise you how many people don't do OLCI and just go to the airport. It's very common!
Yes you’re right plenty check in at the airport, I didn’t express myself well enough here, I was assuming he hadn’t checked in at all and made it onboard. But we know he had. All very concerning if it’s human error. Perhaps staff are too reliant on IT to ensure checks are properly handled!
oceanscape likes this.
Old Feb 23, 2024, 10:34 am

Programs: BA GGL, BA Amex Prem, Amex Plat, Hilton Diamond, Sir Crazy8534 de l'ordres des aides de Pucci
Originally Posted by cgtechuk
I'm more suspicious that the seat changed showed as yesterday surely that means they had my PNR somehow ?
You know, this is still a worrying part of the story- do we have an explanation yet?

Out of an abundance of caution I think I would be tempted to change my email and BAEC passwords.
Maybe that's an overreaction though.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.