Community
Wiki Posts
Search

TFS - Go Around and divert to LPA (BA414)

Search this Thread

Old Feb 17, 2024, 8:59 am
Original Poster

TFS - Go Around and divert to LPA (BA414)

Currently sat at Gran Canaria on BA0414, after 2 go-arounds at TFS. Wind-shear, apparently. Captain has lost the plot, no control of the situation, had to stop bags being unloaded and passengers disembarking. Every other flight into TFS has landed without issue this afternoon. Passengers scared now, we appear to be refuelling for another go sometime soon. ...?
SxMan likes this.
Old Feb 17, 2024, 9:01 am

I hope someone else is on that flight and can give a less dramatic overview of the situation.

I have an image in my head of a plane full of people running up and down, screaming and waving their arms in the air.
Old Feb 17, 2024, 9:05 am
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club
Hilton 5+ BadgeHyatt 5+ Badge

Programs: BA GGL, IHG Diamond Ambassador, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, Mucci des Salons Ouvrants
I have changed the title so that it is not in violation of FT Rule 4. Please create thread titles that are specific and descriptive and that contain an accurate (not misleading or sensational) characterization of the topic.

aks120
Moderator: BAEC Forum
BA or bust, m8_rotate and DXB2745 like this.
Old Feb 17, 2024, 9:07 am

Programs: BAEC GGL/CR; Hilton Diamond; Mucci des Puccis
At least one easyjet flight just went around.

BA Pilots are not generally known for incompetence, so I'd probably just advise the passengers to get a grip.
Old Feb 17, 2024, 9:10 am

It happens all part of flying. Had it happen at LCY 2 goes and off to STN we went. No issues with how it was handled at all it's the weather after all.

The pilot is best place to make the decisions and he has got you on the ground. Hopefully the weather improves so you can make it your destination.
becks1 likes this.
Old Feb 17, 2024, 9:11 am

Looks like BA448 also just went around.
becks1 likes this.
Old Feb 17, 2024, 9:12 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by bisonrav
At least one easyjet flight just went around.

BA Pilots are not generally known for incompetence, so I'd probably just advise the passengers to get a grip.
Very odd situation on board here.
SxMan likes this.

Last edited by aks120; Feb 17, 2024 at 9:17 am Reason: FT Rule 12.
Old Feb 17, 2024, 9:14 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Cw novice
It happens all part of flying. Had it happen at LCY 2 goes and off to STN we went. No issues with how it was handled at all it's the weather after all.

The pilot is best place to make the decisions and he has got you on the ground. Hopefully the weather improves so you can make it your destination.
"He" is, in fact, a "she".
Not one to make assumptions, and all that...
BA or bust and SxMan like this.
Old Feb 17, 2024, 9:16 am

Seems eminently sensible piloting to me.
Old Feb 17, 2024, 9:20 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by enemigo
Seems eminently sensible piloting to me.
"Um, we are trying to come up with a plan".
"OK, plan A is to land at Gran Canaria".
SxMan likes this.
Old Feb 17, 2024, 9:20 am

Originally Posted by Haagen Daz
Very odd situation on board here.
There's nothing particularly dangerous about a go-around in a hazardous situation - the pilot and co-pilot are ensuring safety first and foremost. It's dramatic when it happens, but it's safe and well practised. You normally get three attempts before a diversion, the captain has presumably decided the situation needs time to improve and has put down, safely, at a nearby airport. The original post title wasn't very helpful and very derogatory, this is a routine situation, and is much more accurately summed up after the moderator action. The "everyone else got down" is manifestly untrue.

In these cases since you do presumably want to get to your destination, other passengers demanding to disembark and have luggage unloaded just delays resolution for a lot of other people. The captain isn't going to leave the ground until s/he is satisfied there is a reasonable prospect of not having to divert back again, so sit patiently and wait.

Last edited by aks120; Feb 17, 2024 at 9:21 am Reason: Removed deleted portion of quote
Old Feb 17, 2024, 9:28 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by bisonrav
There's nothing particularly dangerous about a go-around in a hazardous situation - the pilot and co-pilot are ensuring safety first and foremost. It's dramatic when it happens, but it's safe and well practised. You normally get three attempts before a diversion, the captain has presumably decided the situation needs time to improve and has put down, safely, at a nearby airport. The original post title wasn't very helpful and very derogatory, this is a routine situation, and is much more accurately summed up after the moderator action. The "everyone else got down" is manifestly untrue.

In these cases since you do presumably want to get to your destination, other passengers demanding to disembark and have luggage unloaded just delays resolution for a lot of other people. The captain isn't going to leave the ground until s/he is satisfied there is a reasonable prospect of not having to divert back again, so sit patiently and wait.
I have experienced several go-arounds, I get it. Today's flight was unusual, crew dithering and ground staff unsure what to do. I don't see any other flight on the TFS website having been diverted this afternoon?
Old Feb 17, 2024, 9:29 am

Programs: BA Silver, IHG Platinum
Sorry, I'm confused here. It sounds like you're saying someone tried unloading the bags and was prevented from doing so by the Captain. And were people really trying to leave the aircraft, or were they just demanding they be let off?
Old Feb 17, 2024, 9:44 am

Originally Posted by Haagen Daz
I have experienced several go-arounds, I get it. Today's flight was unusual, crew dithering and ground staff unsure what to do. I don't see any other flight on the TFS website having been diverted this afternoon?
There have been at least 2 go arounds since you posted, both got down on a second attempt so won't show as diverted.

Hopefully one of the BA pilots on the board will come in with some further observations on the situation.
becks1 likes this.
Old Feb 17, 2024, 9:49 am

Programs: BA Plastic. HH Diamond. Speedwell Bar Lifetime Platinum.
Originally Posted by adrianlondon
I hope someone else is on that flight and can give a less dramatic overview of the situation.

I have an image in my head of a plane full of people running up and down, screaming and waving their arms in the air.
Mine's is Marilyn Monroe singing Running Wild, Lost Control from Some Like it Hot!
ordaxa likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.