Wiki Posts
Search

Being woken up in First

Search this Thread

Old Feb 15, 2024, 1:44 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC Gold, IHG Spire Elite
Being woken up in First

Earlier this week I flew overnight from JFK-LHR in First and had an annoying and (to me) odd experience. I’ll preface it with the fact that this was my first overnight First so I’m not familiar with normal practices.

I’d done my usual method of getting up very early on the morning of my flight to increase the chances of being tired and sleeping that night on the plane. Sure enough I boarded tired, refused the offer of dinner and breakfast saying “I’m just going to sleep in here thanks” and as soon as the seatbelt sign went off I laid my bed out flat, put some earplugs in and pretty quickly dropped off. What should have been a nice five hour sleep then turned into this …….

About 30 minutes later (I knew how long because I checked the time) I was woken up by a hand on my shoulder to be met by a member of cabin crew saying ‘would you like me to make your bed?’. The act of waking me up was a real shock and I felt like I jumped quite a bit. I said “no thanks” as politely as I could and laid back down. As much as I tried to get back to sleep I couldn’t and got no more than three hours dozing whilst tossing and turning for the rest of the flight.

Whilst sitting in the arrivals lounge drinking coffee I did begin to wonder if this is normal practice in First. Should I have been more clear that I didn’t want them to wake me for any reason? Do cabin crew usually wake people up to ask if they want their bed made?
Old Feb 15, 2024, 1:47 pm

Programs: OWS - AA Lifetime Platinum, BA nobody (blue)
"Wake up ! It's time for your sleeping pill."
Old Feb 15, 2024, 1:47 pm
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
You perhaps should have been clear in your first interaction. They probably thought you had just nodded off.

as an example, my usual process on that flight which I did on Monday evening is:

CC: would you like to eat this evening?
Me: no, I am just going to sleep once we are up.
CC: would you like me to make your bed once we takeoff
Me: yes please, and a caol Ila as a night cap as well

everyone is clear what the plan is, and the role they have in executing it.

Remember the 5 Ps!
Old Feb 15, 2024, 1:52 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by KARFA
You perhaps should have been clear in your first interaction. They probably thought you had just nodded off.
Even with my earplugs in? I’m surprised anyone would think someone laying flat with their eyes shut and earplugs in had simply nodded off whilst waiting for their bed to be made.

I guess I know for next time though!
SK and BA235 like this.
Old Feb 15, 2024, 1:57 pm

Originally Posted by BerksFlyer
Even with my earplugs in??
not east to spot in a dark cabin.

tbf I think you would be unusual in F in just wanting to sleep without changing and having a bed made up. I don’t think the crew were trying to do anything other than try and make your night comfortable.
Randeman, ATLCDG, Genius1 and 22 others like this.
Old Feb 15, 2024, 2:01 pm
Original Poster

tbf I think you would be unusual in F in just wanting to sleep without changing and having a bed made up. I don’t think the crew were trying to do anything other than try and make your night comfortable.
I’m clearly way to used to Club and am totally out of place in First!
SK, BA or bust, endoman and 15 others like this.
Old Feb 15, 2024, 2:08 pm

I was going to make come comment about why did you pay for first, but decided to take it out

sorry I don’t wish to be harsh, but I think it’s a communication failure here. You had a very clean plan of what you wanted to do - I usually do too on a flight, especially a short one like JFK where sleep time is at a premium. But I think perhaps that plan wasn’t clearly communicated to the cc which meant they were a little unsure.

anyway, despite me sleeping up to 40 minutes on Monday night I am still falling asleep on trains and flights this week with the jet lag. Fortunately not falling asleep in the ccr tho - I did that a few weeks ago and woke up a few minutes later after dribbling on myself. I am only hoping no one took any photos
Old Feb 15, 2024, 2:20 pm
Original Poster

I was going to make come comment about why did you pay for first, but decided to take it out

sorry I don’t wish to be harsh, but I think it’s a communication failure here
It was my first ever GUF so I didn’t pay in the traditional way for First.

I’ll be very clear with the CC when I use my next GUF. I don’t think you were harsh, but it was a harsh lesson for me for sure!!!
KARFA likes this.
Old Feb 15, 2024, 2:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci des Hommes Magiques et Magnifiques
As crew I would have made a decision based on how comfortable you looked in the seat, were you fully reclined, did you have all the bedding to help you get the best from the seat, did you have your seatbelt on and how long has you been since you closed your eyes.
Old Feb 15, 2024, 2:58 pm

Programs: BA Gold
Quite possibly, if the idea is that in First you should be woken up to ascertain whether you are ready to go to sleep. I’ve never heard such bloody nonsense.
SK, VSLover, endoman and 12 others like this.
Old Feb 15, 2024, 3:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Never, ever wake a sleeping passenger.
SK, SanDiego1K, Dan72 and 26 others like this.
Old Feb 15, 2024, 3:14 pm

Programs: BAEC
This reminds me of the time hotel housekeeping WhatsApp’d me and then - when I didn’t answer - phoned the room to say “sir your do not disturb is on, do you want housekeeping?”

It was 8am and I’d arrived at 6am….
Old Feb 15, 2024, 3:18 pm

Programs: BA GGL / GfL
Sorry to hear of your experience, I would take it as 100% the crew were trying to be helpful - but sadly it backfired. Those short East Coast to London flights aren’t easy for proper sleep in the best of circumstances, so I feel your pain in this instance.

I was on the late JFK departure a few weeks ago (11.25pm) and had a great crew in First. Pretty much all 8 pax in First had eaten in the lounge and just wanted to sleep as soon as the wheels had left the ground, and with a quiet Club cabin, the CSD proactively moved a few crew up to First to make up beds as soon as the seatbelt sign was off. I think I was tucked up within 15mins of wheels up, although Mother Nature did some of her own shoulder shaking during the flight via very strong turbulence!

At least you know for next time

Pilot37
Old Feb 15, 2024, 4:48 pm

Location: All over the place often South Wales and Lake District
Programs: BA Gold for Life Accor Platinum
OP, I don't think you're at fault in any way. If you are laid flat and sleeping, why would any FA with an ounce of common sense wake you?
cosmo74, oceanscape and nilsfr69 like this.
Old Feb 15, 2024, 5:15 pm

Me: yes please, and a caol Ila as a night cap as well
Appreciate this makes zero difference to the thread and I’m probably being dim… but curiosity is getting the better of me. What did you mean by caol lla?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.