Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

BA have split us up on our romantic getaway

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

BA have split us up on our romantic getaway

Search this Thread

Old Feb 15, 2024, 8:34 pm

The same thing happened to my wife and I in 2021 for a St Lucia flight, it was originally club world and I booked and paid for the good non-step over window and aisle, then it was switched a week before to CS and we were separated. I was able to get better seats and then 2 or 3 days before it was switched back to CW and we were split again, not ideal for a 9 hour flight. Customer services didn't help at all and there was a lot of shuffling on the plane with several unhappy couples and families. On our return customer services were not sympathetic and initially refused my request for the seating refund as "all the seats are the same"

This all could have been avoided with some common sense and manual intervention but "computer did it" is too easy answer.
Old Feb 15, 2024, 8:50 pm

Originally Posted by deep_south
On our return customer services were not sympathetic and initially refused my request for the seating refund as "all the seats are the same"
Hmm if all the seats are the same then why does BA charge a different price for different seats on paid-for seating? But back to point, seats together, especially if paid for ahead with the understanding that seats would be together, are not the same as sitting in different parts of the same cabin. Even if the seat is the same, being separated is not the same.

I for one dont tend to require travelling next to my companion (indeed on JAL F deliberately chose 2A and 2K because it wasnt a romantic trip and we both like windows and privacy). But I also understand those who do wish and are willing to fork out to do so. I have no patience for those who are unwilling to pay but expect others to move around for them, but for those who have paid to fly together, I think its equivalent to a downgrade in service when they cant. Certainly its a downgraded experience.
the810, wrp96, sebbelcher and 3 others like this.
Old Feb 15, 2024, 11:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MM, NR; HH Diamond, Bonvoy LT Gold, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Diamond, others
Originally Posted by PETER01;36001067Technically BA have this in their terms and conditions[h3
What happens when we change your seat?[/h3]Sometimes we may need to change your seat, even after you have boarded the aircraft. Whilst we try to prevent this, it might be unavoidable for a number of reasons including a change of aircraft due to operational, safety or security reasons, so we cannot guarantee seating.
I'd like to know more about them changing the aircraft (for operational or other reasons) after I have boarded.
Saladman likes this.
Old Feb 15, 2024, 11:47 pm

Programs: BA GGL, TK E (*G), ITA exec
I think this is another example where "lack of planning" doesn't really apply regarding separate seating and onboard requests to swap.
ttama likes this.
Old Feb 16, 2024, 12:42 am

Programs: BAEC Bronze, Mucci recipient
Originally Posted by Schultzois
Hmm if all the seats are the same then why does BA charge a different price for different seats on paid-for seating? .
I'd go further and question if all seats are the same why charge for seat selection at all?

As for a refund I definitely think that you should be refunded on the basis that you chose seats with specific numbers. If you get allocated seats with different numbers because of an operational decision by BA to change the plane you didnt get what you paid for.

I dont think you should get a refund if you prepay but then you change the booking but anything done that is out of your control should make seat fees refundable.

I also think it should be BA's responsibility to seat passengers travelling together on the same PNR together, especially so if you've paid BA extra to do that.

I do hope OP gets this resolved and gets to fly in seats next to each other.
the810 likes this.
Old Feb 16, 2024, 1:03 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, Miles and More(FTL), IHG(Platinum), Accor, HHonors(Diamond), SPG, Hertz Five Star
Originally Posted by AJA_
anything done that is out of your control should make seat fees refundable.
It does

When you can claim a refund

You can claim a refund for seats you paid for within 30 days of the completion of the last flight in your itinerary where:
  • We change your seat to an alternative seat and you are unsatisfied with the alternative seat
  • We cancel your flight
Old Feb 16, 2024, 1:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, EI Silver, HH Gold, BW Gold, ABP, Seigneur des Horaires des Mucci
Originally Posted by AJA_
As for a refund I definitely think that you should be refunded on the basis that you chose seats with specific numbers. If you get allocated seats with different numbers because of an operational decision by BA to change the plane you didnt get what you paid for.

I dont think you should get a refund if you prepay but then you change the booking but anything done that is out of your control should make seat fees refundable.

I also think it should be BA's responsibility to seat passengers travelling together on the same PNR together, especially so if you've paid BA extra to do that.
OP says they are oneworld sapphire and as such would not have paid.
Old Feb 16, 2024, 2:42 am
Original Poster

Thanks for the thoughts everyone!

This was asked somewhere above... my preference is aisle and her preference is window, so they have honoured mine during the shuffle but clearly not hers as she was in the middle.

There was some relief this morning as when I checked the seat map 1G was available so I have put my partner in that seat. We're seperated by the aisle and we'll both be staring at strangers through the divider, but it's better than it was.
It does seem, based on a lot I've read in the last 24 hours, that 1K is often held as a crew rest seat or for Emerald status passengers exclusively, I'm keeping my fingers crossed that it will either show up as available at checkin or the purser will be sympathetic and let us use 1K and use 1G for the crew rest seat, as it also has un-restricted aisle access.
VSLover, wrp96, alpenlupe and 1 others like this.
Old Feb 16, 2024, 4:11 am

Try to resolve it at check in as the aircraft configuration may change again! Its a leisure route so many couples are likely be on the same flight and all expecting the same treatment.
sebbelcher likes this.
Old Feb 16, 2024, 4:14 am

Thanks to the OP for the update, and glad to hear you are at least getting closer together. Hoping for a crew that’s willing to perhaps to help it all work out in the end. Obviously and you know this, just keep calm, be polite, but do be willing to point out that you had made a point of selecting seats together way back when you booked this. Whether you actually paid for seating is somewhat beside the point, since you’d have also been able to book another carrier, but chose to book oneworld for, among other things, being able to book your seats.

If it’s a short holiday together, then I don’t feel being separated for a day of it is a small matter, and I’d be upset if I were in that situation. Sounds like you have at least for now cleared that hurdle. I don’t know how many seats there are in the Club cabin compared to the 8 in F on my flight, where a bit of seat shuffling was quite simple, but hopefully something agreeable can be worked out. From the sort of route that this one is, though, I’d expect a lot of people travelling in couples or families, so could be harder to find a solo traveller such as myself who is happy to move. And if there are people who’ve also paid for seating rather than having via oneworld status, even more tricky.

Best of luck. You sound like you’ve put a lot of effort into this, and it will be all the more nice if you get a good outcome.
Old Feb 16, 2024, 4:18 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Door5L
Try to resolve it at check in as the aircraft configuration may change again! Its a leisure route so many couples are likely be on the same flight and all expecting the same treatment.
Yes I expect there will be a lot of people realising what has happened in the next few days and trying to make changes. As there are only a couple of open seats it's going to be a giant sliding tile game.

the810 and wrp96 like this.
Old Feb 16, 2024, 4:43 am

Originally Posted by sebbelcher
Yes I expect there will be a lot of people realising what has happened in the next few days and trying to make changes. As there are only a couple of open seats it's going to be a giant sliding tile game.

Definitely another reason to keep an eye on it. Getting separated in the seating is bad, but getting separated to another cabin because of a smaller J cabin is certainly worse. Reserved seat and early OLCI generally the best way to avoid that. And at all costs, getting to the airport early. As SPH I expect usually youll be fine, but maybe not if you leave it to the last moments.
Old Feb 16, 2024, 6:05 am

Programs: BAEC Bronze
Originally Posted by sebbelcher
Thanks for the thoughts everyone!

This was asked somewhere above... my preference is aisle and her preference is window, so they have honoured mine during the shuffle but clearly not hers as she was in the middle.

There was some relief this morning as when I checked the seat map 1G was available so I have put my partner in that seat. We're seperated by the aisle and we'll both be staring at strangers through the divider, but it's better than it was.
It does seem, based on a lot I've read in the last 24 hours, that 1K is often held as a crew rest seat or for Emerald status passengers exclusively, I'm keeping my fingers crossed that it will either show up as available at checkin or the purser will be sympathetic and let us use 1K and use 1G for the crew rest seat, as it also has un-restricted aisle access.
I think in this particular cabin/config that it's 4K that gets reserved as a crew rest. Not row 1. (and I've also seen a couple get separated due to this, thankfully the crew did actually use it for rest).
If the plane is one with crew rest bunks (I'd have to see the WTP cabin to tell) then 4J and 4K may remain as a pair.
Old Feb 16, 2024, 7:12 am
Original Poster

I have seen this stated also, the only reason I think differently in this case is that 4J/4K were our originally booked seats and we able to freely select them on the original booking, who knows in reality...
Old Feb 16, 2024, 7:42 am

Programs: BAEC Bronze
I've checked and this route is usually operated with a plane with crew rest bunks, hence 4J AND 4K being selectable. It's a whole other thread, but there have been cases where these have been selectable, then blocked/passengers turfed out nearer the time. I understand in your case that your plane was changed to CS and back again, which is slightly different. As others have said, there will be a lot of displaced people so hopefully it will work out.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.