Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Skipping final sector and getting bags

Search this Thread

Old Feb 10, 2024, 9:48 am
Original Poster

Skipping final sector and getting bags

My ticketed flight lands in LGW and the final sector is from LHR-DUB. If I skip the final sector of this indirect flight:

- Do i get penalised in any way with Tier Points, Avios, etc.?
- Do you normally collect your bags if flying into LGW and flying out of LHR?

Thanks
Old Feb 10, 2024, 9:52 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
No you won't be penalised unless you start doing it a lot and use a travel agency. You won't (normally) get TPs or Avios for any flight you don't actually take.

Bags are never transferred between LHR and LGW or indeed LCY, so yes you have to recover bags at the London arrival airport regardless.
YacozA and m8_rotate like this.
Old Feb 10, 2024, 9:52 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, Mucci: Classe de la Luxe Eternelle
- Do i get penalised in any way with Tier Points, Avios, etc.?

Yes. You will not receive any TPs or avios for the final sector so the total projected in MMB will be reduced.

- Do you normally collect your bags if flying into LGW and flying out of LHR?

Always. Passengers are responsible for transferring their own baggage.
Old Feb 10, 2024, 9:53 am

Programs: BAEC Bronze, Mucci recipient
I'm pretty sure arriving in LGW you have to collect your bags before you transfer to LHR for the DUB flight.

Not sure what happens if you no-show for that flight
Old Feb 10, 2024, 10:02 am

Programs: UA PP (2MM), BA gold
Only possible issue is bags not on flight to LGW in which case airline will send bags to final destination.
SxMan and DiamondMile like this.
Old Feb 10, 2024, 10:15 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
No you won't be penalised unless you start doing it a lot and use a travel agency. You won't (normally) get TPs or Avios for any flight you don't actually take.

Bags are never transferred between LHR and LGW or indeed LCY, so yes you have to recover bags at the London arrival airport regardless.
That's what I wanted with the bags anyway! Thanks!
Old Feb 10, 2024, 2:21 pm
Formerly known as tireman77

If its very occasionally there should not be an issue. However there are instances where people have had consequences to their frequent flyer account or even worse so I would suggest to not make it a habit.
Old Feb 10, 2024, 2:22 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by PLeblond
If its very occasionally there should not be an issue. However there are instances where people have had consequences to their frequent flyer account or even worse so I would suggest to not make it a habit.
Thanks. It's literally going to be a one off.
Old Feb 10, 2024, 2:26 pm

Programs: BAEC
Care to share some examples? Especially interested in the “even worse”. Shaming over the PA system in the F lounge perhaps? Mugshot displayed on the overhead displays at t5 security?
Old Feb 10, 2024, 2:39 pm

Programs: BA Blue, Hyatt, Marriot, HHonors
Originally Posted by TabTraveller
Care to share some examples? Especially interested in the “even worse”. Shaming over the PA system in the F lounge perhaps? Mugshot displayed on the overhead displays at t5 security?
Hmm, Do you really think anyone who has faced that will post here to be just told that they should know better.
BA or bust and Pigeon49 like this.
Old Feb 10, 2024, 2:44 pm

Originally Posted by Getafix
Hmm, Do you really think anyone who has faced that will post here to be just told that they should know better.
My point is that it doesn’t happen. There is not a single case of it happening. It’s a scary story that FTers like to repeat to one another. In the UK a consumer not taking the final leg of a flight is never going to suffer any consequence as a result.
Old Feb 10, 2024, 3:01 pm

https://www.businessinsider.com/skip...Parsons%20said.

https://www.bbc.com/worklife/article...-airlines-hate

Here are two after a quick goole search. Plus the ones who got their FF account frozen and don't brag about it. Its a violation of the terms of the contract. Period.

Plus for those who do it in a premeditated manner, its a dishonest practice.
TarquinMontague likes this.
Old Feb 10, 2024, 3:06 pm

https://www.businessinsider.com/skip...Parsons%20said.

https://www.bbc.com/worklife/article...-airlines-hate

Here are two after a quick goole search. Plus the ones who got their FF account frozen and don't brag about it. Its a violation of the terms of the contract. Period.

Plus for those who do it in a premeditated manner, its a dishonest practice.
These are US examples. I trust from your use of the word “period” that you are US based.

The UK has different laws to the US. The OP asked about a flight to the UK and departing the UK so your examples are not only irrelevant but misleading.

As per my post, this is simply not an issue in the UK (or Europe almost certainly given the similarity in consumer law).
Old Feb 10, 2024, 3:32 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold, HHonors Gold, Marriot Bonvoy Gold, MeliaRewards Gold, Radisson Gold
Originally Posted by Getafix
To be honest, yes - I'd actually expect some data points and anecdotes to emerge over time if this did in fact ever happen. Interestingly, there are none at all, that I have seen on BA. I'm not suggesting there could never any consequences... I'm sure someone, somewhere has a story - but it appears to be so rare as to be virtually statistically negligible that anyone would be penalised or otherwise taken to task for doing this. Even repeatedly. The fact is you paid for a service you simply decided not to utilise. "Terms and Conditions" often don't have the legal power some people seem to think they do.
moondog, Arctic Troll and BA850 like this.
Old Feb 10, 2024, 3:38 pm

These are US examples. I trust from your use of the word “period” that you are US based.

The UK has different laws to the US. The OP asked about a flight to the UK and departing the UK so your examples are not only irrelevant but misleading.

As per my post, this is simply not an issue in the UK (or Europe almost certainly given the similarity in consumer law).

​​​​​​​I am Canadian, thank you. I would suggest you be more careful before labelling people.

One of the links was from the BBC, which last time I checked was UK based. The article cites a case where Lufthansa took action against customers following the practice, which is in Europe last time I checked... Did you even bother reading it?

Anyone entering a transaction with the intent to violate the terms of a transaction one agrees to at the time of purchase is fraudulent. Morally speaking above and before written laws. By one's honour alone this is fraudulent.

The fact that one does not agree with the terms set by in the contract of carriage does not entitle them to breach the rules and expect impunity. I will not get into a discussion about hidden city ticketing as I surmise you would not be open to a true discussion, but anyone with a basic understanding of airline flight ticketing understands why some longer connected flights are more expensive than the single leg flight, so it would be a waste of wear on my keyboard to continue.

Carry on.

Last edited by PLeblond; Feb 10, 2024 at 3:44 pm Reason: Forgot to add the quote

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.