Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Cancelled Flight Re-Routed via non-OW Partner

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 9, 2024, 3:57 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BA Silver, Marriott Platinum, Hilton Silver, IHG Gold

I posed this question in the Qantas forum but it might be better to get a response here given it’s about Avios and Tier Miles.

I had flights booked with Qantas from Auckland to San Francisco, but the second flight was cancelled while at the airport in Auckland. First went fine via Qantas.

The re-routed flight to San Francisco from Sydney was a delightfully unusual Singapore Airlines SYD—SIN—SFO.

Given this was booked by Qantas but not travelling OW is there scope for the booked Avios and Tier Miles to be added to my account? Seems a little unfair if it was their fault (mechanical issue with the plane). Is this with BA or with Qantas?
Old Feb 9, 2024, 4:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GGL+GfL, ALL Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
Do a search with the terms "ORC" or "Original Routing Credit" for all the info. In short, it may be but it will largely depend on QF.
Old Feb 9, 2024, 4:27 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by orbitmic
Do a search with the terms "ORC" or "Original Routing Credit" for all the info. In short, it may be but it will largely depend on QF.
Given that QF rebooked the passenger onto SQ, I am pretty sure that it will not provide credit to BA for the flight. This would be a BA thing on whether it would give credit for such a rerouting

If BA won't handle it, then I think that the OP will need to settle for credit to a Star airline for the SQ trip
Old Feb 9, 2024, 4:38 pm

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GGL+GfL, ALL Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
Originally Posted by Dave Noble
Given that QF rebooked the passenger onto SQ, I am pretty sure that it will not provide credit to BA for the flight. This would be a BA thing on whether it would give credit for such a rerouting

If BA won't handle it, then I think that the OP will need to settle for credit to a Star airline for the SQ trip
ba will handle the request but it will ask QF. That’s the universal process for partner claims on ba, and other threads suggest that some airlines are less helpful than others and drag their feet.

But put simply, whilst the request has to be logged via ba, ba won’t credit anything until and unless qf give them the go ahead.
Old Feb 9, 2024, 4:46 pm

Originally Posted by orbitmic
ba will handle the request but it will ask QF. That’s the universal process for partner claims on ba, and other threads suggest that some airlines are less helpful than others and drag their feet.

But put simply, whilst the request has to be logged via ba, ba won’t credit anything until and unless qf give them the go ahead.
If the customer puts a request in for credit for the SQ flight , it wont go to QF - if a request for the QF flight is put in, then declined since the passenger was not on the QF flight

Unless BA is prepared to handle an involuntary reroute as being ok for tier points, I do not think that the OP will be successful
Old Feb 9, 2024, 4:48 pm
Original Poster

Thanks guys, will ask BA. It's annoying because I was relying on the TP to renew status and QF cancelled their flight! Bad enough that I had to change my BA redemption flight and pay £100 to change from CW to WT (cry...).
Old Feb 9, 2024, 6:16 pm

Originally Posted by Coffeemadman
Thanks guys, will ask BA. It's annoying because I was relying on the TP to renew status and QF cancelled their flight! Bad enough that I had to change my BA redemption flight and pay £100 to change from CW to WT (cry...).
If frequent flyer earnings are more important than timing, then I would really recommend rebooking onto an eligible airline ( e.g. QF next day ) should this happen again in the future

Some airlines will provide credit to their own scheme where rerouted off of its own airline - with a partner rerouting onto another carrier, odds are not so good
Old Feb 9, 2024, 6:28 pm
Original Poster

If frequent flyer earnings are more important than timing, then I would really recommend rebooking onto an eligible airline ( e.g. QF next day ) should this happen again in the future

Some airlines will provide credit to their own scheme where rerouted off of its own airline - with a partner rerouting onto another carrier, odds are not so good
It wasn't possible really, I couldn't be any later than I was back to London due to work and Qantas couldn't fly me without missing 2 days rather than the 1. Cathay was looked at and was also not available. Given the last minute nature I took what I could, but it still doesn't seem beyond the scope of common sense if a OW airline has a mechanical issue of their own issue to credit the flights that they put me on regardless.
nancypants and trooper like this.
Old Feb 9, 2024, 6:42 pm

To me, common sense would say that earnings would be based on airline travelled on.
mrow likes this.
Old Feb 9, 2024, 6:59 pm
Original Poster

To me, common sense would say that earnings would be based on airline travelled on.
We may have to agree to disagree here - though BA would quite happily agree with you I'm sure!

If I book, pay for and fully intend to travel an airline, indeed checked in to the lounge of the first leg of a flight, then through zero fault of my own the airline cancel flights and re-route me, I have still paid that airline and should receive the miles and such of the original flights at the very least.

Regardless I'll give it a shot - personally I feel I should receive the miles I paid for.

Last edited by Coffeemadman; Feb 9, 2024 at 7:26 pm
Old Feb 9, 2024, 10:57 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver, Flying Blue Gold, TK M&S Nobody
ORC is not an uncommon thing, and works in exactly the way you would hope - but as orbitmic says, it’s reliant on the airline which had to reroute you still paying BAEC for the TPs/Avios. Some are more cooperative than others, and I’m not sure there’s much recourse if they won’t honour it.
Old Feb 9, 2024, 11:58 pm

Programs: BA Silver, PR Elite, Avis Preferred Plus, PC Diamond Ambassador
Took a few weeks but got ORC for DPS - KUL - TPE on MH

Rerouted on Royal Brunei DPS - BWN - TPE

Not the greatest experience. Comfortable - but - cradle seats in J. Cabin only me on BWN leg and only 2 others on TPE sector.

But was made to sleep the night in the nusiness class lounge at DPS with AC off inorder to catch the red eye to BWN. And no alcohol on board or at BWN to compensate.
Coffeemadman likes this.
Old Feb 9, 2024, 11:58 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by etiene
ORC is not an uncommon thing, and works in exactly the way you would hope - but as orbitmic says, it’s reliant on the airline which had to reroute you still paying BAEC for the TPs/Avios. Some are more cooperative than others, and I’m not sure there’s much recourse if they won’t honour it.
Oh I’m not going to throw a stinker about it - never have been that kind of person. I’ll ask and see (I can still think it’s the wrong thing to do if declined but that’s all it’ll be).

Thanks for whoever posted the ORC thread though as it’s been super helpful. It has had several instances of almost the exact same situation as being credited and provided some great ways of making contact. I wouldn’t have created this thread if I knew it was there!
Old Feb 10, 2024, 1:42 am

Unless BA is prepared to handle an involuntary reroute as being ok for tier points, I do not think that the OP will be successful
That’s the whole point of ORC, again I can only recommend switching to relevant threads which go over this in detail including on how specifically to claim credit etc in such case.
etiene likes this.
Old Feb 10, 2024, 2:36 am

Programs: BAEC GGL/CR; Hilton Diamond; Mucci des Puccis
I've successfully claimed ORC for a flight on Swissair, this situation (on the day disruption) is precisely what it's for. But as usual, timing of the response isn't going to win any awards for speed.
orbitmic and Coffeemadman like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.