Community
Wiki Posts
Search

No flight deck PA

Search this Thread

Old Feb 7, 2024, 12:09 pm
Original Poster

No flight deck PA

Flew LHR-BGI this week. Everything was on time, boarding complete 15 mins before departure time. Everything was normal except there was no PA from the flight deck. We only heard from the Captain 40 minutes out. This isn’t policy now is it?
Old Feb 7, 2024, 12:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold, SQ Gold, KQ Platinum, IHG Diamond Ambassador, Hilton Gold, Marriott Silver, Accor Silver
It’s very likely the flight crew were too busy on Page 36 of trying to work out how the membership year alignments were going to affect them.
Old Feb 7, 2024, 12:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci des Hommes Magiques et Magnifiques
Originally Posted by BWBriscoe
Flew LHR-BGI this week. Everything was on time, boarding complete 15 mins before departure time. Everything was normal except there was no PA from the flight deck. We only heard from the Captain 40 minutes out. This isn’t policy now is it?
Policy is to get everyone there safely.
Old Feb 7, 2024, 1:32 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Can I help you
Policy is to get everyone there safely.
We all know that’s not the only policy. My point is, is this part of SOP or not? Can flight crews just decide not to do it or was it more then likely just an oversight?
Old Feb 7, 2024, 1:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci des Hommes Magiques et Magnifiques
I’m sure it wasn’t and oversight and it is a SOP but one that can be dropped if other things are more important.
Old Feb 7, 2024, 1:57 pm

Programs: BA GfL, TK *G+
Pilot didn’t realise he had muted his microphone.
becks1 likes this.
Old Feb 7, 2024, 2:04 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by where next
Pilot didn’t realise he had muted his microphone.
I did consider this…

Just no one could say “you’re on mute…!”
Old Feb 7, 2024, 2:20 pm

Programs: BA GGL, BA Amex Prem, Amex Plat, Hilton Diamond, Sir Crazy8534 de l'ordres des aides de Pucci
There’s some rather well-known audio of an American pilot accidentally doing his “Welcome to New York, the temperature is….” etc. speech on the JFK Tower frequency, followed by an absolute ribbing by everyone else on the channel.

Come to think of it when BA38 crashed I think the pilot accidentally initially transmitted the evacuation order on frequency,

So I guess it might happen from time to time!
the810 and becks1 like this.
Old Feb 7, 2024, 4:05 pm
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold. GGL/CCR.
We all know that’s not the only policy. My point is, is this part of SOP or not? Can flight crews just decide not to do it or was it more then likely just an oversight?
My guess - and it's just that - is that this came under the 'Aviate, Navigate, Communicate' axiom. In general terms communication is the least important of the three and the other two take priority. I accept that there would not have been much aviating at that point but if something has to be dropped due to time pressures then talking to the passengers prior to departure will probably be uppermost on that list.
LCSinTexas and DiamondMile like this.
Old Feb 7, 2024, 4:11 pm
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club, Marriott Bonvoy

Programs: SPG LT Plat, BA G, BD*LG, MG Blue+ ...
We only heard from the Captain 40 minutes out
Did this announcement acknowledge this was the first time, or was the tone more “hello again from the flight deck ….” ?
crazy8534 and rockflyertalk like this.
Old Feb 7, 2024, 4:20 pm

Programs: BAEC
Am I the only one who finds the 40 seconds of incomprehensible muttering utterly pointless? If it's a point of safety, sort of ensuring that pilots are capable of communicating with passengers, I don't think that it's working very well.

Cabin crew are better trained and get a lot more practice of making PAs; I'd rather they told us whether we'll be cruising at 36 or 38, not that it matters much either way.
kileysmom, the810, Misco60 and 2 others like this.
Old Feb 7, 2024, 6:32 pm

Programs: BA Silver, Marriott Platinum, Hilton Silver, IHG Gold
Originally Posted by psychopompos
Am I the only one who finds the 40 seconds of incomprehensible muttering utterly pointless? If it's a point of safety, sort of ensuring that pilots are capable of communicating with passengers, I don't think that it's working very well.

Cabin crew are better trained and get a lot more practice of making PAs; I'd rather they told us whether we'll be cruising at 36 or 38, not that it matters much either way.
As someone who finds flying rather stressful (despite flying a fair amount I still have a nagging fear of the thing) I find the captain announcement very important; it’s usually their explanation of flight cruising and flight conditions that set my mind at ease should turbulence occur.

Appreciate this might not be something that those who have no issue can understand but trust me plenty do like that 40 seconds of muttering.

My last two Qantas flights didn’t have it, but always had it on BA. I like them and would not want them to go. Obviously safety over the announcement but I think everyone knows the OP is not actually suggesting that, but was jumped on unnecessarily there.
LCSinTexas, becks1 and BA850 like this.
Old Feb 7, 2024, 6:54 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

I really don't see the point of the pilot making an announcement unless there is something out of the normal that needs mentioning. That the aeroplane will take off from a runway, fly and then land at the destination is kind of easy to predict with a flight
the810, gayste, Keystone and 5 others like this.
Old Feb 7, 2024, 7:31 pm

Programs: BA Silver, Marriott Platinum, Hilton Silver, IHG Gold
Originally Posted by Dave Noble
I really don't see the point of the pilot making an announcement unless there is something out of the normal that needs mentioning. That the aeroplane will take off from a runway, fly and then land at the destination is kind of easy to predict with a flight
I refer to the above part, I do appreciate it doesn’t make sense to most people here. I like it, and wouldn’t want it to go.
Old Feb 7, 2024, 11:26 pm

Programs: BA (GGL/CCR)
Originally Posted by Dave Noble
The one part I find useful is that the announcement usually provides the first accurate indication of the actual length of the flight given the weather conditions en route etc. I appreciate the in flight entertainment (if there is any), and no doubt certain apps, can also provide this, but I find it helpful to be notified, given the flight length can differ from day to day and the timetable is not necessarily a reliable guide.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.