Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

[Cabin crew voluntary redundancy scheme] Make of it what you will!

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 6, 2024, 2:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Mucci des Hommes Magiques et Magnifiques

BA are offering all HCC (Heathrow Cabin Crew) a “Voluntary leaving package” while recruiting 4000 new crew, if you think the standards are poor now be prepared for them to drop.
Experience counts for nothing, it’s all about costs so forget any thoughts of better service.

Last edited by Prospero; Feb 6, 2024 at 2:07 pm Reason: Adjust text colour for dark mode readers
Old Feb 6, 2024, 2:11 pm

Originally Posted by Can I help you
BA are offering all HCC (Heathrow Cabin Crew) a “Voluntary leaving package” while recruiting 4000 new crew, if you think the standards are poor now be prepared for them to drop.
Experience counts for nothing, it’s all about costs so forget any thoughts of better service.
Am I right in thinking that length of service will be based on the rejigging of contracts in covid or will it be the actual amount of time they've worked for BA.

This is quite sad especially for those that stuck it out 4 years ago.
HarbourGent and becks1 like this.
Old Feb 6, 2024, 2:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Mucci des Hommes Magiques et Magnifiques
Originally Posted by Cw novice
Am I right in thinking that length of service will be based on the rejigging of contracts in covid or will it be the actual amount of time they've worked for BA.

This is quite sad especially for those that stuck it out 4 years ago.
The offer is also only slightly above the statutory minimum allowable (removal of the weekly cap) – with your service being capped at a maximum of 20 years.
Old Feb 6, 2024, 2:29 pm

Programs: BA-S UA LH-Sen KLM/AF-Plat.
We met some delightful ex BA crew on a Steam Dreams loco tour last year. They said they would absolutely never go back. Such a sad reflection on the way BA treat its main asset.
Old Feb 6, 2024, 2:38 pm

There's really nothing seductive about the offer is there. Certainly nothing to encourage anyone to throw in the towel to make way for the next generation of crew... not unless you're literally about to retire or resign anyway.
Old Feb 6, 2024, 2:56 pm

BA and it’s employee relations have also been so notoriously bad under whomever was leading be that Tom, Dick or Harry.

why can’t BA get the basic of looking after their people right? It’s such a fundamental part of, not just Ba, but any business.
Old Feb 6, 2024, 3:00 pm

Programs: BAEC GGL/CR; Hilton Diamond; Mucci des Puccis
I met the HVC team last week - nothing fancy here, they're going through most of the GGLs - and there was a discussion on the quality of the longer serving cabin crew in comparison to the newer cohort.

Nothing in that conversation prepared me for the sheer unadulterated lunacy of this development.

Then again no-one felt it necessary to mention the BAEC changes on the horizon, either, so it does seem that the meetings were window dressing.
Old Feb 6, 2024, 3:02 pm

If only I was surprised….which I am not.

At least the experience of industrial laws/ precedence and negotiation history they are trying to buy out is sensible to know the price has a few more zero attached on the end 😉

At least they let us know how valued we are still. Have you seen the ‘furniture’ in the TBA training break out area? I’ve seen better quality set ablaze on a side street in BWI, the quality measured whilst it was ablaze.
Old Feb 6, 2024, 3:09 pm

Programs: Mucci Chevalier des Internautes Amables; BAEC
For all the talk of changes in the F champagne offer this is the sort of issue that genuinely and materially devalues the customer experience across all cabins. I have started to notice this more in both SH and LH travel - experience and pragmatism has been a serious victim of enhancement.
Old Feb 6, 2024, 3:19 pm

Programs: BAEC
Gosh, imagine being told you can leave the business as we want new people in anyway! That will improve staff morale!! Urgh corporate life!! How very sad.

But on the upside at least any newbie incoming will be told they get to retire at 71 instead of 66!
Traveller2 and DelTroon like this.
Old Feb 6, 2024, 3:54 pm

Programs: BA Exec Club, Flying Blue
Jeez - it's just ridiculous. Whoever is in "charge" clearly has no idea, about running an airline, but does have an A level in spreadsheeting.
How sad .
Selfishly, I hope none of the HCC crew take up the offer
endoman, robertf999 and becks1 like this.
Old Feb 6, 2024, 3:59 pm

Programs: BA Gold, VS Gold, IHG Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hertz Presidents Circle.
If you're going to do it then at least make it worth their while and reward the service, also make sure that those new crew coming in are able to maintain the standard - whatever that is these days.

Offering voluntary WFR just above statutory minimums is a pretty futile activity.
Old Feb 6, 2024, 4:05 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold; Le Club Accorhotels Plat; Marriott Gold
not arguing with a point about how valuable experience is, but just wondering how Emirates, for instance, is able to provide a high level of service with mostly young crew just recently out FA school?
Old Feb 6, 2024, 4:08 pm

Originally Posted by tenn_ace
not arguing with a point about how valuable experience is, but just wondering how Emirates, for instance, is able to provide a high level of service with mostly young crew just recently out FA school?
A culture of fear and the very reality that all those crew members are nothing more than ‘guest’ in the UAE who can be expelled at a moments notice.
Old Feb 6, 2024, 4:13 pm

Originally Posted by camdentown
Jeez - it's just ridiculous. Whoever is in "charge" clearly has no idea, about running an airline, but does have an A level in spreadsheeting.
How sad .
Ultimately Sean Doyle (chairman and​ CEO) Stephen William Lawrence​ Gunning (CFO and director)

Originally Posted by tenn_ace
As with most ME airlines, they hire people from Eastern European, Asian and African countries where labour is already cheap. It is not all greener for them as you will find many horror stores by ex crew on YouTube about why they left and poor working conditions.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.