Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Weird pricing when trying to use GGL upgrade voucher from Prem Eco to Biz

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 5, 2024, 9:30 pm
Original Poster

Programs: LH HON,BA GGL GfL,Hyatt LT Glob,Mrtt LT P,Hilt LT D,IC Amb,Acc P,GHA Tit,LHW Strlg,Sixt/Av/Hz D/Pres

Just spoke to the GGL hotline (in India), was trying to use one of my upgrade vouchers to book a flight for a friend and also upgrade him from Premium Economy to Business.

This is for a LHR-LAX-LHR return. Even though my account is in the US, the price on the BA website is shown in GBP, I assume because the flight originates from the UK.

The friendly Indian call center agent quotes me a price of 2,618.90 USD, which is quite significantly higher than the price the website shows for Premium Economy. Can this be correct? Or should I "HUACA" ("Hang Up And Call Again")?

He said that in his system, the fare is something like $ 1,100 and the taxes "after upgrading to business" are like $ 1,500. Sounds odd to me??
Old Feb 5, 2024, 9:34 pm

Programs: BA GGL, BA Amex Prem, Amex Plat, Hilton Diamond, Sir Crazy8534 de l'ordres des aides de Pucci
I would call the UK office after 1000Z, there will be increased tax to pay but what they quoted you doesn’t sound right.
Football Fan and becks1 like this.
Old Feb 5, 2024, 9:47 pm

Programs: BA GGL/GfL; Hilton Diamond; Marriott Ambassador; IHG Diamond;
When you price up the ticket online, BA.com prices the ticket based on inventory and pricing using the origin airport as the POS (point of sale).

The call center may be pricing the ticket using a different POS (typically based on your country of BAEC account registration), thereby resulting in a different fare for the underlying cash ticket, even before the voucher is applied and tax difference is calculated.
Football Fan and becks1 like this.
Old Feb 5, 2024, 9:55 pm
Original Poster

Programs: LH HON,BA GGL GfL,Hyatt LT Glob,Mrtt LT P,Hilt LT D,IC Amb,Acc P,GHA Tit,LHW Strlg,Sixt/Av/Hz D/Pres
Originally Posted by flyingnomad
When you price up the ticket online, BA.com prices the ticket based on inventory and pricing using the origin airport as the POS (point of sale).

The call center may be pricing the ticket using a different POS (typically based on your country of BAEC account registration), thereby resulting in a different fare for the underlying cash ticket, even before the voucher is applied and tax difference is calculated.
Yes, that was also the explanation the call center agent gave me. But when I look at Google Flights from the US (where I am), it also shows me the same price. And even from the UK, doesn't a fare of $ 1,100 and taxes of $ 1,500 sound strange?

Also, when I look up the fare information in Expertflyer, the lowest priced Premium Economy fare appears to be the same (after currency conversion), regardless of whether I put UK or US as point of sale.
Old Feb 5, 2024, 10:23 pm
Fairmont Contributor Badge

Programs: BAEC
The taxes on the business fare are a tad over £1000, this is what you will pay on top of the WT+ fare.

United States APHIS Passenger Fee Passengers (XA) £3.00
United States Customs User Fee (YC) £5.50
United Kingdom Passenger Service Charge Departures (UB) £48.89
United Kingdom Air Passenger Duty APD (GB) £194.00
United States Immigration User Fee (XY) £5.50
Carrier-imposed surcharge (YQ) £900.00
US International Arrival Tax (US) £35.20
United States Passenger Civil Aviation Security Service Fee (AY) £4.40
US Passenger Facility Charge (XF) £3.60
Football Fan likes this.
Old Feb 5, 2024, 10:30 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by DeathSlam
The taxes on the business fare are a tad over £1000, this is what you will pay on top of the WT+ fare.

United States APHIS Passenger Fee Passengers (XA) £3.00
United States Customs User Fee (YC) £5.50
United Kingdom Passenger Service Charge Departures (UB) £48.89
United Kingdom Air Passenger Duty APD (GB) £194.00
United States Immigration User Fee (XY) £5.50
Carrier-imposed surcharge (YQ) £900.00
US International Arrival Tax (US) £35.20
United States Passenger Civil Aviation Security Service Fee (AY) £4.40
US Passenger Facility Charge (XF) £3.60
Thank you - so the YQ is not really actually a tax, it's just a way for BA to introduce an arbitrary additional fee (with the effect that an upgrade becomes a lot more expensive), right?
Old Feb 5, 2024, 11:13 pm

Originally Posted by Football Fan
Thank you - so the YQ is not really actually a tax, it's just a way for BA to introduce an arbitrary additional fee (with the effect that an upgrade becomes a lot more expensive), right?
Exactly
Old Feb 5, 2024, 11:16 pm

Programs: BA GGL, BA GfL, Hilton Diamond, IHG Platinum
I compared both tax breakdowns of a WT+ ticket and the business ticket.
The difference I see is the
Carrier-imposed surcharge (YQ) £900.00 which is £630.00 more.

So the total I would say should be £1814,09 - 2.277,26 US-Dollar

Lets us know what the GGL Hotline will tell you when you call them later.
Football Fan likes this.
Old Feb 5, 2024, 11:17 pm
Original Poster

Okay, thank you so much for educating me - I guess then there is no way around it - not really a point of sale issue, just the way it is. I'll book it anyway, I owe the colleague a favour, he's a great guy and has never flown business, as far as I know, and I wouldn't otherwise use the upgrade voucher anyway (I only book F).
Old Feb 5, 2024, 11:22 pm

Programs: BA GGL, BA GfL, Hilton Diamond, IHG Platinum
I checked the same flights but with going from and to BSL
In this case the
Carrier-imposed surcharge (YQ) is CHF 204 in Y+ and 600 CHF in C
So from Basel the difference should only be 396 CHF
becks1 likes this.
Old Feb 6, 2024, 12:26 am

Originally Posted by klaus79856
I checked the same flights but with going from and to BSL
In this case the
Carrier-imposed surcharge (YQ) is CHF 204 in Y+ and 600 CHF in C
So from Basel the difference should only be 396 CHF
Starting from a non UK European city is almost always going to make it cheaper. I think you may have missed the increase in price for the APD between W and J as well which is another £200 or so and that would go if you start from BSL.
But it would sort of defeat the object of a direct LHR-LAX flight if you have to navigate across to Europe to start it
Old Feb 6, 2024, 12:51 am

Programs: BA GGL, BA Amex Prem, Amex Plat, Hilton Diamond, Sir Crazy8534 de l'ordres des aides de Pucci
The best use of GUFs now does indeed seem to be CW>F.
Markie, DeathSlam and becks1 like this.
Old Feb 6, 2024, 1:04 am

Originally Posted by crazy8534
Or finding routes with much lower 'taxes' like EX-HKG etc.
crazy8534 likes this.
Old Feb 6, 2024, 4:56 am

Programs: "Only" 50,000 TPs until BA GGLfL
Starting from a non UK European city is almost always going to make it cheaper. I think you may have missed the increase in price for the APD between W and J as well which is another £200 or so and that would go if you start from BSL.
But it would sort of defeat the object of a direct LHR-LAX flight if you have to navigate across to Europe to start it
There is no difference in UK APD tax rates from W to J. For any given flight length and passenger age there's either the Y rate or the "premium" rate for W/J/F tickets

Or finding routes with much lower 'taxes' like EX-HKG etc.
YQ is illegal in Brazil, so ex-GIG & GRU tickets have zero YQ.
DeathSlam, becks1, Cymro and 2 others like this.

Last edited by alexwuk; Feb 6, 2024 at 5:13 am
Old Feb 6, 2024, 5:28 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by crazy8534
For which, of course, there is hardly any availability, unless one can use a "joker".

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.