Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Upgrading reward flight on partner airline

Search this Thread

Old Feb 4, 2024, 3:33 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Blue, A12 Cars Gold, Harmonicande Vintners Platinum!
Smile Upgrading reward flight on partner airline

Hi all,

Sorry did search, but couldn't find an answer:

Is it possible to call BAEC and upgrade a reward flight on a partner airline using Avios, should availability appear?
Or is it a case of cancel and rebook into the higher cabin?

TIA
Old Feb 4, 2024, 3:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Falkirk, Scotland,VS Red, BA Gold, HH Diamond,UK Amex Plat
Programs: Master of the Privy Purse des Muccis
Originally Posted by rtaylore
Hi all,

Sorry did search, but couldn't find an answer:

Is it possible to call BAEC and upgrade a reward flight on a partner airline using Avios, should availability appear?
Or is it a case of cancel and rebook into the higher cabin?

TIA
Hi,

Should be a case of phoning BAEC.
I was in J on JL 41 but F on JL 43 ( both HND-LHR flights) appeared so phoned up and was moved to F there and then

Regards

TBS
Old Feb 4, 2024, 4:44 am
Fairmont Contributor Badge

Programs: BAEC
Originally Posted by rtaylore
Is it possible to call BAEC and upgrade a reward flight on a partner airline using Avios
Originally Posted by The _Banking_Scot
Should be a case of phoning BAEC.
Sadly I think your results will vary depending on your current status level and how many avios you have in the bank.
You are making a new booking, not an upgrade, so if you have the avios for the new booking in hand, all is well. You book the new flight, the old one gets cancelled and your avios are returned (usually in seconds).
There is no reason it couldn't work if you need the avios from the cancelled booking because the agents can reserve the seat, cancel the old one and then book the new. But you can't do this online, it has to be a call.
This seems to be a lot easier with higher status, so be prepared to argue your corner, although you may find it works with no problems anyway.
Old Feb 4, 2024, 4:50 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
If it’s the same flights but you want to change to a different cabin, and there is reward availability, you should be able to do it as a change rather than a full cancellation and rebook. It is a change rather than an upgrade with avios, so there may be a £35 per person change fee.
BA or bust likes this.
Old Feb 4, 2024, 5:59 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Blue, A12 Cars Gold, Harmonicande Vintners Platinum!
Thanks all, makes sense. Yes it is just a different cabin, same flight.

I have a JL43 in F already booked, but separately (and the reason for my query) I am hopeful the switch of JL52 (SYD-HND) from a 787 to a 777 will open up an F seat. Fingers crossed.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.