Community
Wiki Posts
Search

"Forced" to check hand-baggage

Search this Thread

Old Feb 5, 2024, 2:21 pm

Programs: OWS - AA Lifetime Platinum, BA nobody (blue)
If only they had played the boarding music.
Old Feb 6, 2024, 12:29 pm

Programs: Outgrew all status except AA: Plat for life (the program's); Costco: Ex Plat
Originally Posted by msm2000uk
The agent told me "she was an expert on bag sizes"
Good example of Brodies Law:

Employees frequently make something up when they dont know what theyre talking about.
msm2000uk likes this.
Old Feb 7, 2024, 5:18 am

Last year we were using Brussels Air from LHR. I had my regulation carry-on wheelie which is within a cm of being over sized. I was told by a very abrupt lady at the gate that my bag MUST be checked in as it is clearly too large to comply. I asked for her to put it in the sizer that was about 10 metres away and she flatly refused. Cue a little bit of DYKWIA in as much as all I wanted was to prove that it was within regs. She was adamant that she did not need to measure it and she KNEW it was too large.

Managed to convince her boss to 'allow' me to use the sizer, which of course proved my point. At that stage the arrogant one mysteriously faded away and refused to even attempt to apologise or even make eye contact.
Old Feb 7, 2024, 5:32 am

Wheelie bags are the easiest target. Other options of the same size are available (I wont be explicit) and I am not asked to check my bag in as a result.
Old Feb 7, 2024, 6:09 am

Programs: BA GfL & GGL, FB Platinum, MB Titanium, Hilton Diamond
Why carry a bag over your shoulder when you can easily push/pull it with much less effort? Not everyone is able to do so either.
Old Feb 7, 2024, 6:12 am

Programs: BA GGLfL, WoH Lifetime Globalist, HH Diamond, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by chriswiles
He put one large soft bag in their cupboard and had to walk her cabin bag beyond row 6 and had rearrange other bags to accommodate. I had zero symphony at all.
Another interpretation is that the passenger boarding last got it right. CC stowed both bags for her.

Doc Copper
KARFA likes this.
Old Feb 7, 2024, 6:29 am

Originally Posted by DoctorCopper
Another interpretation is that the passenger boarding last got it right. CC stowed both bags for her.
I think most of us agree on here we like to board early to be sure we can store our bags and close to us. I don't like the idea of my bag being placed around row 6 and then trying to fetch this when everyone is keen to get off the plane. Crew certainly didn't help then.

I store a few valuables in my bag. I love to carry a watch or two, for example. I don't like the idea of my bag 4 or 5 rows behind me. Just me perhaps.

Saying she 'got it right' is an exaggeration - I saw the circumstances. The crew had to take someone's soft bag from row 6, ask another if they can take their jacket out of the locker and so on. Not an ideal situation for anyone and less fair to people who have boarded early and settled.

I should have said 'sympathy' above not 'symphony'. Love auto-correct 🤦🏽‍♂️
Kangar likes this.
Old Feb 7, 2024, 7:02 am

Programs: Aeroplan, NEXUS
My carry on bag and personal item are slightly smaller than the limits. When the gate agents are looking to check bags mine have always been waved through.
Kangar likes this.
Old Feb 7, 2024, 7:03 am

Originally Posted by DoctorCopper

Doc Copper
Passenger boarding last with that baggage helped to cause even further disruption and then probably complained about the placement.
Not to mention the annoyance of other passengers who had their organised hand luggage moved, displaced, suddenly at their feet or the confusion of what was where when the plane landed.
Expecting CC to sort out the circus is not a task they relish. In fact many airlines have health and safety rules which direct CC not to lift luggage into overhead bins and I have heard more than one crew member refuse according to company policy.
Guess some of those wheeled cases might caused workplace injury. Couldn't possibly because they are heavy, surely.
Old Feb 7, 2024, 8:40 am

Programs: BAEC
Originally Posted by Kangar
Passenger boarding last with that baggage helped to cause even further disruption and then probably complained about the placement.
Not to mention the annoyance of other passengers who had their organised hand luggage moved, displaced, suddenly at their feet or the confusion of what was where when the plane landed.
Expecting CC to sort out the circus is not a task they relish. In fact many airlines have health and safety rules which direct CC not to lift luggage into overhead bins and I have heard more than one crew member refuse according to company policy.
Guess some of those wheeled cases might caused workplace injury. Couldn't possibly because they are heavy, surely.
It would help significantly if J overhead bins were kept exclusively for customers in J (so not crew and not those in Y who think there might not be space further back). I find boarding late considerably less stressful on airlines where this is enforced - it is rarely a problem on any A320 family aircraft.
JayeJ likes this.
Old Feb 7, 2024, 10:06 am

Programs: BA Gold IHG Ambassador Spire Shangri La Diamond
Be very scared Finnair according to a Daily Mail report (other bugles are available) things have moved on. They are going to start weighing passengers from next week. Eek. 😧
Old Feb 7, 2024, 10:10 am

Programs: Sir Ratechaser Seigneur de la Patience d'un Saint (Mucci), BA Silver, Starbucks Gold
Originally Posted by thegreatmrsj
Be very scared Finnair according to a Daily Mail report (other bugles are available) things have moved on. They are going to start weighing passengers from next week. Eek. 😧
Well it could bring a whole new meaning to a 'lite' fare...
thegreatmrsj and BA6501 like this.
Old Feb 7, 2024, 10:24 am

Programs: BA GfL & GGL, FB Platinum, MB Titanium, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by thegreatmrsj
The reason for this is to get an updated average of passenger weight for aircraft weight purposes. Its voluntary if asked to participate and data will be anonymised.
Old Feb 7, 2024, 10:34 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by MaxFlyer
The reason for this is to get an updated average of passenger weight for aircraft weight purposes. Its voluntary if asked to participate and data will be anonymised.
Ahd has happened on loads of other airlines in the past. Each airline has a weight profile and it needs to be adjusted (upwards...) from time to time. But they do samples to find that out. AIr New Zealand did this a few months back.
Old Feb 7, 2024, 10:43 am

If it's voluntary then I suspect the results will be skewed towards the lighter population.
AmaaiZeg likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.