Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Retro Liveries on A380?

Search this Thread

Old Feb 2, 2024, 11:49 am
Original Poster

Retro Liveries on A380?

Something came up on my Instagram about the 747 in the Negus Livery.

Obviously with COVID we didn't get the retro livery 747s for as long as first hoped.

It got me thinking, would when BA fit the A380s with Club Suite would there be a chance they would give some the retro liveries. I remember the BOAC one was particularly striking.

Also other than cost is there any reason that they haven't done any retro Liveries since 3 747s and one A320.
Old Feb 2, 2024, 12:12 pm

Programs: BAEC Bronze
I guess that the 3 liveries used on the 747s had been seen on the 747 in the past (admittedly not all on the 744)

the A380 has only ever flown in Chatham Dockyard, so I guess there would be more of a split verdict on whether it would be 'proper' to paint one in a retro livery. Maybe by the time CS is fitted, Chatham dockyard will be considered retro!

Having said all that, the A319 wasnt ever in BEA livery prior to the retrojet and i dont remember too many complaints.
T8191, golfer20, Blenheim and 1 others like this.
Old Feb 2, 2024, 12:17 pm

Programs: Ba Exec club
Originally Posted by Cw novice
Something came up on my Instagram about the 747 in the Negus Livery.

Obviously with COVID we didn't get the retro livery 747s for as long as first hoped.

It got me thinking, would when BA fit the A380s with Club Suite would there be a chance they would give some the retro liveries. I remember the BOAC one was particularly striking.

Also other than cost is there any reason that they haven't done any retro Liveries since 3 747s and one A320.
Apart from a 757 scheme just before it retired, I don't think BA ever did any retro liveries before either.
I'd like to see some. The later BEA 'speedjack' livery hasn't been re used and would look good on say an Embraer. The BOAC scheme would look good on almost anything but I think the reason 747s were chosen for the retro schemes they wore was because they had been used on 747s in period.
BA or bust likes this.
Old Feb 2, 2024, 12:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold/OWE, several MUCCI, and assorted Pensions!
but I think the reason 747s were chosen for the retro schemes they wore was because they had been used on 747s in period
Which is why the 380 is disqualified. You can’t invent history!
Old Feb 2, 2024, 12:44 pm

Programs: Ba Exec club
We had a BEA scheme on an A319.
T8191 and gcuk like this.
Old Feb 2, 2024, 12:44 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by T8191
Which is why the 380 is disqualified. You can’t invent history!
​​​​​​
​​​​​​Which begs the question are there any aircraft in the BA Fleet (ex BMI and other airlines aside) that have had anything other than Chatham Dockyard as their livery.
Old Feb 2, 2024, 12:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold/OWE, several MUCCI, and assorted Pensions!
Difficult, isn’t it! I have flown the BEA A319, so I’m arguing with myself! But at least the 747 had credibility. The others, yes, less so!
BA or bust, Blenheim and Jimmie76 like this.
Old Feb 2, 2024, 1:01 pm

Programs: BA Plastic. HH Diamond. Speedwell Bar Lifetime Platinum.
Originally Posted by Cw novice
​​​​​​
​​​​​​Which begs the question are there any aircraft in the BA Fleet (ex BMI and other airlines aside) that have had anything other than Chatham Dockyard as their livery.
The early 772s in Landor
Old Feb 2, 2024, 1:34 pm

Programs: BAEC Blue (back to Earth)
Originally Posted by BlueThroughCrimp
The early 772s in Landor
G-VIIA-H were Landor originals, a B777 retro would be amazing! Failing that even an A320 in Landor would be on the nose as the original ten flew like that for many years.
Old Feb 3, 2024, 12:20 am

Programs: BAEC GGLfL
Do retro liveries make money for BA? No.

I think you have your answer.

As the last retro liveries appeared to be the kiss of death, I'd rather they were not applied to the A380 fleet, which has enough issues.
T8191, TedToToe and DiamondMile like this.
Old Feb 3, 2024, 3:11 am

Programs: BA Blue, EI Silver, Honours Gold, Marriott Gold
The very first A320 was painted in B.Cal livery, but I think was delivered in BA Landor colours.

The 4 retro jets were part of BA 100 celebrations. Unless there is another major anniversary or event I don’t think we will see retro jets, unfortunately.
skipness1E likes this.
Old Feb 3, 2024, 9:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold, SQ Gold, KQ Platinum, IHG Diamond Ambassador, Hilton Gold, Marriott Silver, Accor Silver
You just need to step inside a BA A380 Club World cabin if you want retro vibes.
Old Feb 3, 2024, 1:16 pm

Programs: BAEC Blue (back to Earth)
Originally Posted by Finland Station
Do retro liveries make money for BA? No.
I think you have your answer.
As the last retro liveries appeared to be the kiss of death, I'd rather they were not applied to the A380 fleet, which has enough issues.
They're fun, engaging, good PR and people like them. Aircraft frequently need repainting and the additional cost is surely not massive.
Aer Lingus still have theirs, it has been repainted in the retro scheme. Austrian, Finnair, Lufthansa, Air France, CSA, KLM, Martinair, Garuda, LATAM, Adria, SAS, LOT, Turkish, Tunisair, QANTAS, Tarom, El Al, Air Malta, Malaysia, Gulf Air, PIA, Qatar, Air Canada, TAP etc etc have all had at least one retrojet in the last few years. It's good for the brand and reminds people that they've been around a few years. American have a whole sub fleet of A321s in retro colours.
Old Feb 4, 2024, 1:57 am

Programs: BAEC GGLfL
And is cost cutting in their DNA?

As noted above, a retro livery is not needed to assure passengers that the A380s have been "around a few years". They have Heritage Club World™️.

Face it, BA did this for the 100 Anniversary celebrations which were then ruined by Covid. Try again when the 150th comes around.
Old Feb 4, 2024, 4:27 am

Programs: Mucci, Diamond Status & on the Supreme Council des Conseillers, BA Ag, Bonvoy GFL/Plat, xVS Au
Originally Posted by Finland Station
Face it, BA did this for the 100 Anniversary celebrations which were then ruined by Covid. Try again when the 150th comes around.
At risk of going a little off topic. What were the pre Covid plans for the year? Were they planning a formation of 4 747s at all? That would have been quite a sight!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.