Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Cancelled credit card used to book flight; afraid they'll ask for it at check in

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Cancelled credit card used to book flight; afraid they'll ask for it at check in

Search this Thread

Old Jan 25, 2024, 11:33 am
Original Poster

I have two upcoming flights I book with Avios. One is ORD-LHR (round trip) and the other is ORD-HND (round trip).

In preparing for my trip today, I noticed that my confirmation emails for both of these flights say 'If the payment cardholder is travelling, you must bring the card used to pay for this booking to the airport with you, for verification, before you can travel.'

I booked with Avios, but still paid several hundred $ in fees for both flights. I
paid using my amex business gold, which I cancelled a few months ago.

What's the likelihood that they'll actually ask for the card at check in? I do have an old picture of the front and back of the card. And I could probably download an old statement. Maybe that would suffice?

Any advice is appreciated.
Old Jan 25, 2024, 11:45 am

I've only been asked once, in OTP. Booked the flight months in advance, by the time I flew card I used had expired and disposed.
Check in demanded to see the card or no fly. Explained calmly, slowly and several times, that card doesn't physically exist any more. Finally they made me 'one time exception'.
Old Jan 25, 2024, 11:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Have not been asked for many years. If payment has already been taken for the flights I really wouldn’t worry about it.
Old Jan 25, 2024, 12:03 pm

Programs: BAEC - Gold, OWE
I've had this before, but like Swanhunter said not for many years. What I know to work is a photo of the front and back of the card, and simply say you left the physical card at home for "safety." They also accepted seeing the card in my Apple Pay wallet. All they do is check that the last 4 digits match. They don't swipe the card to see if actually valid.
BA or bust likes this.
Old Jan 25, 2024, 12:04 pm

Programs: BA, TK, EK
The only places I have ever been asked are BOM and CMB, and both of those over ten years ago. From the US I would consider the risk small.
Old Jan 25, 2024, 12:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, 6MM; BA GLD
I’ve been flying regularly for 40 years and have never once been asked to produce the credit card I used to pay for a flight.
Old Jan 25, 2024, 12:36 pm
Fairmont Contributor Badge

Programs: BAEC
I was asked at Manchester by CX to see my credit card. Cash J ticket paid using an amex that I had cancelled months after booking and before travelling.
I ended up using the desk agent's supervisor's phone to log in to my amex account and show them the old statement.

So really they don't need to see the card, they need to know that it was your card when you booked. So a photo of the card or a paper statement would probably do as well.
I think I got flagged because it wasn't my normal travel pattern. Of course the only time I have ever been asked (in 25 years of semi-regular flying) was the one time I didnt have the card
Why a passport with the same name on it isn't good enough I don't really know.
Old Jan 25, 2024, 12:42 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver/OW Sapphire
Never been asked for my card before. I seem to recall the check in machines ask for either booking reference of passport scan but certainly never the payment card.
Old Jan 25, 2024, 1:13 pm

Programs: VS Silver; Matmid Silver, BA Bronze; Accor Plat.
Only ever asked when I bought the ticket the day before I travelled and that was years ago.
Old Jan 25, 2024, 2:43 pm

Programs: BA Gold; Hilton Honors Diamond
The once and only time I was ever asked was at LHR and as soon as the gate agent swiped it she told me I'd been upgraded to Club.
BA or bust likes this.
Old Jan 25, 2024, 3:59 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver, Lidl Plus
Never been asked for the original credit card used to pay for the booking in well over 100 journeys, if that gives you any reassurance.
Old Jan 26, 2024, 12:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Blumie
I’ve been flying regularly for 40 years and have never once been asked to produce the credit card I used to pay for a flight.
It was very common with BA once upon a time, but that's 15+ years ago. I did also have quite a painful experience at BOM with UL where they wanted to see the credit card our corp TA had used to book the flights. The TA was Amex and they used a dummy Amex number as payment. Took a while to sort out.
Old Jan 26, 2024, 12:43 am

Programs: BAEC, VS Flying Club
Credit cards are very unlikely to be checked when leaving the US or UK.

Perhaps more likely when leaving countries where there’s a culture of buying tickets at the last minute, and where there’s a high prevalence of fraud.
Old Jan 26, 2024, 2:26 am

I *have* been asked for the Amex at some point in 2023 but I can't remember where - just that it got added to the "stuff to pack when travelling" list. It otherwise wouldn't be as it's a hopeless card (3% fee for non-sterling).
Old Jan 26, 2024, 2:47 am

I was asked for the credit card that I used to book last year, in Phuket, By Etihad, the credit card had been cancelled a long time ago, in the end I was able to find online a copy of my credit card statement showing the credit card number with my name. It took a long time to get approval for this as they had to wait for approval from Abu Dhabi to allow me to check-in. It was a J ticket that was purchased. This was the first time in many years I was asked for this and I have not been asked since.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.