Community
Wiki Posts
Search

20k Avios + £710 to upgrade from CW to F?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 25, 2024, 12:49 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Gold, Hilton Diamond
20k Avios + £710 to upgrade from CW to F?

Flying LHR-JFK soon and noticed there is F reward availability. I am currently in J on a cash ticket and I was told it would be 20k Avios and £710 to upgrade. Surely this is incorrect? It was the Indian call centre and he insisted it was correct because "the fuel surcharges are very high at the moment". Said he checked with his supervisor. Does this sound right to you?
Old Jan 25, 2024, 12:54 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: LH HON, BA GGL, AF Plat, EK Plat
Yes its likely incorrect. they probably compared RFS taxes in CW and fullt ax in F. Tell them to recalculate the tax as you already paid cash ticket taxes
SxMan likes this.
Old Jan 25, 2024, 12:55 am

Programs: Mucci. And BA Gold – previous awards - Gold 11, Silver 7, Bronze 4.
Originally Posted by oceanscape
Flying LHR-JFK soon and noticed there is F reward availability. I am currently in J on a cash ticket and I was told it would be 20k Avios and £710 to upgrade. Surely this is incorrect? It was the Indian call centre and he insisted it was correct because "the fuel surcharges are very high at the moment". Said he checked with his supervisor. Does this sound right to you?
IIRC there should be little or no difference on the cash side between F and J, just the Avios side. No doubt someone will be along soon to confirm/clarify.

PS I think the general advice on here is to try and talk to someone in the UK call centre about this.
SxMan likes this.
Old Jan 25, 2024, 1:12 am
Moderator: Hyatt Gold Passport & Star Alliance

Programs: UA-1K 3MM/HY- LT Globalist/BA-GGL/GfL
My W->C upgrade last year was $900 in increased taxes and carrier surcharge plus Avios.
Old Jan 25, 2024, 1:33 am
Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club, easyJet and Ryanair

Programs: BA Gold (GGL/CCR)
Originally Posted by Markie
My W->C upgrade last year was $900 in increased taxes and carrier surcharge plus Avios.
There is usually a significant difference in YQ from W to J whereas the taxes and YQ in J and F are generally identical for UK departures.
Old Jan 25, 2024, 1:40 am

Programs: BAEC Bronze, Mucci recipient
Can you do a dummy booking if F fares are still available for sale? That should tell you what the taxes and fees are likely to be and compare to the taxes and fees you've paid already.

I certainly wouldn't be paying that amount to upgrade.
SxMan likes this.
Old Jan 25, 2024, 1:46 am

Programs: BA; IHG; LHW; Hilton
That seems an exorbitant amount to pay just to be denied a salmon starter 👌

Last edited by SxMan; Jan 25, 2024 at 3:53 am
Old Jan 25, 2024, 2:38 am

Programs: Mucci. And BA Gold – previous awards - Gold 11, Silver 7, Bronze 4.
Originally Posted by SxMan
That seems an exorbitant amount to pay just to be denied as salmon starter 👌
However… if the (incorrect) taxes are not taken into account then only 20k is IMHO pretty good value to upgrade to F.
Absent starters notwithstanding!
SxMan, Tobias-UK and cruser1 like this.
Old Jan 25, 2024, 3:31 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
what taxes/fees/charges did you pay originally for your J cash ticket (you can find it on your email eticket in the table towards the end)?

what are the taxes/fees/charges on a dummy new cash F ticket for your flight in the price breakdown?

but yes, I think £710 is wrong.
SxMan likes this.
Old Jan 25, 2024, 4:11 am

Programs: Mucci, BA Gold, A3*Gold, AA Plat, HH Gold, IHG Plat Amb, Marriott Plat
I’ve had this recently. Some agents look at the RFS “fees” and the new F “fees” and try charging the difference, which is incorrect regardless of whether the underlying booking is cash or Avios. Another example of poor training and too little oversight of new call centre staff. Call again to get a different agent, and yes, sadly, calling a UK centre is more likely, though not guaranteed to get a better result.
Old Jan 25, 2024, 4:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold
Yes, the jump in fees / surcharges is huge from a J Reward Flight Saver to First at old rates.
msm2000uk likes this.
Old Jan 25, 2024, 4:24 am

Programs: BA Exec Club Gold
Not sure if helpful or applicable here but I upgraded one leg from J to F on a 241 yesterday on the LAX route. The difference was 25k in avios and approx £370 in taxes for the two of us (original 241 booked in July)
Old Jan 25, 2024, 5:02 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
yes so there is a distinction between changing a reward J to a reward in F, and the J RFS complicates that since you are no longer paying true taxes/fees/charges whereas you are in F.

for a cash J ticket being upgraded with avios or GUF'ed it should be a lot more straightforward, and quite simply it should be the difference between the TFC you paid and the TFC for F. Typically the difference is zero or a few pounds. However, if there is a significant time lag in booking J and upgrading you may find YQ has increased across the board since (there have been several YQ increases in 2023), so any upgrade would capture that too.
Old Jan 25, 2024, 5:33 am

Again, not sure if helpful but I changed two of us on an Avios + companion voucher booking from J (RFS) to F one way for a reduction (!) of 10k Avios and about £650 in taxes.

The agent (who was very helpful) reckoned there was no way to retain the RFS rate on the return (J) leg, which would've brought it down a bit, but presumably explains the Avios refund.

Felt very steep, but getting a few Avios back was a little comfort!
Old Jan 25, 2024, 8:49 am

Programs: BA Silver
Yet again one wonders why poorly trained agents are being put in a position of having to work these things out... it can't be that complicated to install a button on the software for upgrading, and for the IT to work out what is owed by following set rules. You could even put it on the customer-facing website...
AJNEDC, DXB2745, Pigeon49 and 1 others like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.